StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year's farkling theme has been "convenience and ease of use." So I'm looking at replacing the Joe Rocket Manta magnetic tank bag that came with my 2007 Vee.

The Manta is OK, but it's inevitably scratched up the tank. I'm a bit tired of removing & reinstalling it every time I stop for gas, have to park the bike in public, etc. And the bag is showing its age. It's quite faded, & is beginning to fall apart in places.

If I'm having to constantly remove & replace the tank bag, might as well have an easy and quick system. What is the best quick-detach tank bag lock system? The most affordable?

For now I'm looking at Givi's quick-lock system. The ring that you install on the fuel tank is cheap (~$16) and they have several reasonably-priced bags. I don't want anything much bigger than the Manta. For example the 4L Givi ST602 should work (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-st602-sport-t-tanklock-4l-tank-bag).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
This year's farkling theme has been "convenience and ease of use." So I'm looking at replacing the Joe Rocket Manta magnetic tank bag that came with my 2007 Vee.

The Manta is OK, but it's inevitably scratched up the tank. I'm a bit tired of removing & reinstalling it every time I stop for gas, have to park the bike in public, etc. And the bag is showing its age. It's quite faded, & is beginning to fall apart in places.

If I'm having to constantly remove & replace the tank bag, might as well have an easy and quick system. What is the best quick-detach tank bag lock system? The most affordable?

For now I'm looking at Givi's quick-lock system. The ring that you install on the fuel tank is cheap (~$16) and they have several reasonably-priced bags. I don't want anything much bigger than the Manta. For example the 4L Givi ST602 should work (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-st602-sport-t-tanklock-4l-tank-bag).

Thanks!
https://www.adventuretech.biz/tank-bags.html

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've got a Givi Tanklock with XS307 bag. Overall I'm happy with it. I did have to have Givi send me a replacement bag though, the zipper on my first one broke after just a few months. their customer service was top notch. I called them and told them what happened, they asked for a picture and a copy of my receipt (which they didn't even need as I got it from Revzilla and they sent a copy for me.) They sent me a new bag and a return label the very next day.
Anyway, the Tanklock system is great, better then the SWMotech quicklock system IMO. I had the SWMotech for a few years and several times the tank release would freeze up and not allow me to remove the bag. I had to actually disassemble the bag from the locking system to get it to release, a real PITA when you need gas. One day it froze up on me and I took it apart and just threw it away, got the Givi system and haven't regretted it.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
I am impressed with the Givi system as well. Very smooth on and off. I just bought a smaller 319 model for local riding and have a larger XS320 for longer trips. (The one made for the Africa Twin...needs some modification to work on a 2017 Wee)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I also have the Givi TankLok system with the large, 20L XS308.
Givi's bags are as well made and feature-packed as any premium bags out there, and IMO a very good value for the price. When I was looking at tank ring-mounted bags, I chose Givi because the ring mount and bag attachment looked to be the largest and most robust. It also features a spring lever to detach the bag which I like better than others' pull cord release. The bag snaps into place without any play and sits well above painted surfaces. I use the tether strap to hang the bag off the side during fill ups- It rests against my crash bar (also Givi) but would rest against the plastic tank panels without it.
I'll never go back to a magnetic or strap-on bag.

Attachments

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice. I asked Adventuretech if they quote me on a Givi ST602 as it's not a regular stock item for them.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nice. I asked Adventuretech if they quote me on a Givi ST602 as it's not a regular stock item for them.
I also have the 308...but find I can just tip it forward and it will rest on handlebars while fueling. My safety strap is clipped in front of the gas tank in an area that does not interfere.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Both of my Givi Tank Bags have had to be replaced under warranty as the zippers failed. My next bag will be SW Motech brand. If you go Givi, make sure you hold on to your receipt for the warranty, as they will not help you without it.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Do yourself a favor: Check out the bags and the mounting systems from both the GIVI and the SW Motech brands. After years of magnetic bags(Cortech) I had to go tank-lock on my Vstrom.
I looked at both, and for me, there was no comparison.
The mounts of the Motech(Bags Connection/Suzuki Accessories)--to ME, were superior. The bags themselves likewise were more appealing to me in design, features, and construction.
Others may feel the opposite.
Look at both and make a decision.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Both of my Givi Tank Bags have had to be replaced under warranty as the zippers failed. My next bag will be SW Motech brand. If you go Givi, make sure you hold on to your receipt for the warranty, as they will not help you without it.
I had a zipper go bad on mine as well, but the receipt thing is not 100% true. I bought my bag from Revzilla, this may apply to other sellers as well, they were happy to send Givi proof of purchase for me. I had my receipt and sent it in but Revzilla had already covered that for me. My first call to Givi they asked where I bought the bag, I told them "Revzilla", they said "good, no problem". I guess they contacted Revzilla and was provided proof of purchase.

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
Never had issues with Givi, IMHO they are overall generally superior to Motech. ;)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've been using the Givi XS308 for 5 years, got it for the the same reason as the OP, tired of magnets scratching the tank and gassing up was a bit of a pain. With the tank lock system no scratches, I run a typical tank protector under it, and very easy on & off. I also looked at SWMotech (Bag Connections?) and thought they were a more solid design but more expensive so I went with the Givi, it's held up much better than I would have expected.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/givi-xs308-tankloc-tank-bag.html

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,337 Posts
I have been around SW Motech but not owned them. BMW guys used to use those a lot before Givi came out with their current design.

The Givi design simply works. Much less complicated design. No tugging cords. Just a flip of a lever on the side of the bag. Easy with gloves. The mount that stays on the tank is much cleaner looking on the Givi.

Both work well. I would on either and do run a tether on the Givi.

The SW Motech bags are probably a little better built as far as zippers and stuff. But I have run 10's of thousands of miles with the Givi I have now with zero issues. Cost is much lower with the Givi series.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Watched a review of the ST602, decided the MT505 will work better for me. Don't need the smartphone window on the lid of the ST602.

FWIW here's the review I mention:

It's nice that both bags (maybe all Givi tanklock bags?) have a passthrough port for a USB cable. Sometimes I want to have something charging inside the tank bag while I ride. Doing so is possible with the old Manta but a bit awkward.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts

Thanks!
I just ordered the Fandango Pro from Giant Loop. I'm also over unclipping buckles every time I want to take the bag off or put fuel in it and then having to fight to get it back on right. This one zips onto a base that stays on the bike. Unzip 2/3 of the way around and the bag tips ups to reveal a slot in the base where you can fuel the bike. Haven't received it yet but can post after it gets here if there's any interest in a review. They also have the Diablo Pro which is 4L and uses the same zipper base. Both are designed to follow the slope of the adventure-style tanks.

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
Yes, we can get all Givi at discount and the warehouse is literally just down the road, so everything is almost instantly available.

We are on a first name basis with the entire Givi warehouse staff.
I'm irritated with whoever I talked to there, he was gonna check on a replacement rain cover for my bag and get back with me "been 2 weeks", Givi stupidly doesn't sell replacements. No idea what happened to it, I may have to buy a cheap cover on Ebay to get me by. :furious:

·
Vendor
5,238 Posts
Big B,

It's an economics and logistics thing. Their warehouse is full of Givi boxes each with one Givi product in it and the staff is smaller than you might think, with minimal margin and everyone doing multiple jobs. Not as small as Adventuretech, but who is? Anyway, I'm sure it isn't an item that is on the shelf. It would probably be something that needed to be special ordered. Now of course if you knew someone who could talk to them and explain things you would probably have a better chance of getting it.

Give me the particulars and I'll see what I can do Monday.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts