StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for something quick to change into. Getting ATGATT is tiresome for quick trips and would love to save time getting ready for work. The obvious choice is a Aerostich. After a bit of research I know I'll have to go with 2 suits one for winter and one for summer. I was looking at the Fieldsheer Highland II for winter (http://www.fieldsheer.com/2007web/web3/product/highlandii.htm) and a perforated leather for summer. I can carry cloth to work in change if needed so going leather year around is OK. For those you wear 1-piece leathers how long does it take to get geared up? Also does any one ride in 30 degree weather in full leathers? And finally any recommendations for both suits under 1k total?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'm looking for something quick to change into. Getting ATGATT is tiresome for quick trips and would love to save time getting ready for work. The obvious choice is a Aerostich. After a bit of research I know I'll have to go with 2 suits one for winter and one for summer. I was looking at the Fieldsheer Highland II for winter (http://www.fieldsheer.com/2007web/web3/product/highlandii.htm) and a perforated leather for summer. I can carry cloth to work in change if needed so going leather year around is OK. For those you wear 1-piece leathers how long does it take to get geared up? Also does any one ride in 30 degree weather in full leathers? And finally any recommendations for both suits under 1k total?
The one piece 'stich has good protection, but no insulation. With thermal under wear and a heavy fleece top, it's good for 30 degrees F. Below that, you need electric to be warm. Leather has no insulation value either. Dunno about the Fieldsheer.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I went with the Fieldsheer suit (version 1, though I can't tell what is different in version 2) for budgetary reasons. I was able to buy it over a year ago for $230 - about the same what a jacket alone was costing, at least those I was looking at. Kneedraggers.com currently has it for $249. I've only got a few hundred miles in it and don't have anything to compare it with. But on the couple days I've ridden my 8.5 miles to work in upper 30 degree weather with just the suit over my casual work clothes (no jacket, no thermal underwear), I was ok. For long rides, I'd probably add a layer of insulation. The 'stich is definitely easier to get in to/out of, but the Highland isn't too bad - just a minute or soo including closing down the cuffs.

I don't have any experience with it in the rain so I can't comment on how watertight it is.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I have a 'stich and a Spidi Admiral, both only take about 30 seconds to get in and out of. The Spidi breathes better and it is more water proof than the 'stich. The Spidi also has CE rated armor everywhere, fits way better and is a better looking suit over all. I had the 'stich for about a year before I got the Spidi and has now hung in a closet for about a year.

I wore the Spidi this summer on my 3k mile trip. With temp ranging from 115F in Vegas to low 40F in Yellowstone. I only wore wicking underwear under the suit and it did great. It now has over 13k miles on it and is worn everyday on my commute.

Having said that you can not go wrong with either suit. They both hurt in the wallet when you first get them. But after riding in quality gear you wont go back. I have tons of jackets and pant combos in the closet including a 'stich that I will prob never wear again.

The 'stich will stay around in case of an unfortunate get off, or a need of repair of the Sidi. All the other gear I just stash cuz I payed way more for it than I can get if I sell it used. So I will collect it till I am gone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Got a retail source for more info on the Spidi suit? A web link, perhaps?

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
http://www.motonation.com/ Motonation is the exporter for Spidi, Sidi and Setup.

There is sizing info as well as general info for the Spidi Admiral in there. Also there are some reviews on advrider, including one from a fellow rider that crashed in his week old Spidi suit.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175989&page=4&highlight=spidi

"Well the adjuster took the helmet so I think the photo op passed. I wish I could get paid for the suit and keep it! It's not thay bad, Couple of one inch long tears through the outer fabric only. Didn't get through the membrane. Or rip my Kili 4 and ht overpants and tell him I was useing those I'm realy happy with spidi and will absolutely get another one if they take this away. That suit survived amazingly. And helped me do the same.........I gotta figure a way to get those wheels. Ride across Canada with tourances and switch to the spare set of PREMOUNTED TKC's and off to alaska! And way better than a plug kit for flats!"

REV'IT Infinity One Piece Suit just came out and looks good as well. I have not personaly seen one so I can only go by looks, features and what other have writen about it.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
But after riding in quality gear you wont go back.
No fooling. I went out on Sunday to tank up and grabbed my old Tourmaster jacket. I didn't even bother zipping it before putting it back on the hook. It just didn't feel right and I've only had the Roadcrafter for two months.

Same thing with helmets. There's no way I could wear an open face.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Got a retail source for more info on the Spidi suit? A web link, perhaps?
Forgot to add a retail source, I got mine from Cyclegear. I only buy gear from them because of the return policy. That way if I had gotten the wrong size it is an easy exchange.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I know I'll get flamed but ...
If it's just for commuting at city speeds a pair of overalls with a zip front works well.

Yes, if you have a spill, they'll get likely get torn - BUT they offer reasonable protection at low speeds, inexpensive and available in a decent range of sizes and you can wear them easilly over a suit if you have to. They'll also roll up nicely and you can stick them into a briefcase.
It does pay to get something to stop the bottoms of the legs flapping about - most cycle shops will have clips.

I did that for a number of years without problems.

Pete

M

·
0 Posts
I know I'll get flamed but ...
If it's just for commuting at city speeds a pair of overalls with a zip front works well.

Yes, if you have a spill, they'll get likely get torn - BUT they offer reasonable protection at low speeds, inexpensive and available in a decent range of sizes and you can wear them easilly over a suit if you have to. They'll also roll up nicely and you can stick them into a briefcase.
It does pay to get something to stop the bottoms of the legs flapping about - most cycle shops will have clips.

I did that for a number of years without problems.

Pete
Pete Turboderek is commuting in the greater Los Angeles area. Speeds go from 5mph to 80mph and back to 5. 4-6 lane superlabs, and lot's of drivers eating breakfast cereal on the way to work(I kid you not).

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Also, some thing like 90% of accidents happen with in a mile from home. I don't care if I am going to the corner to test the bike after an oil change, or on a 2 week motorcycle trip, I go ATGATT.

I did the Jeans and jacket thing for years, and have the scars to prove it to.

But to each his own, I am not a preacher :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pete Turboderek is commuting in the greater Los Angeles area. Speeds go from 5mph to 80mph and back to 5. 4-6 lane superlabs, and lot's of drivers eating breakfast cereal on the way to work(I kid you not).
This is my main problem. I used to ride to work in a helmet, leather jacket and gloves. I was "geared up" and riding down the street in 20 seconds. Now it's Tourmaster Venture Pant, Tourmaster Solution WP Road Boot, Cortex fusion Tourmaster Cold Front Carbon Glove, glove liners, ipod, and helmet. I been down once and the gear did its job. With variable speeds, lane splitting, rush hour traffic and 2 hour ride home in the dark less gear is not a option. I'm hoping to drop my "gear up" time under ten minutes not twenty minutes it takes now.

·
Registered
647 Posts
http://www.olympiamotosports.com/ast_mens/ast_mens.htm

Highly recommended! Buy "ONE" set, way less than 1K. Used locally by Boise P.D. and others. Great visibility for those who live in the Moron centers of the nation. Downside, may make targeting you much easier!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've been rocking an olympia one piece mesh suit with CE Armor in it for years. I even washed it once (probably should do that more often...)

Every pocket zipper except one is broken. So I only put things into one pocket. But damn if the thing isn't easy to put on and take off, and also let wonderful amounts of air flow through it in these hot summer days. Couple that with thermal undies and a heated jacket liner in the winter and I really don't NEED to buy another suit. Front main zipper handle broke off so now it has a keyring attached as it's pull, and the size zippers are still working fine.

I don't have the money for aerostitch. And honesly, even if I did, I'd probably go a different route anyway.

Alexi

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
I wore leathers for years and they were not something to wear over the street clothes. Silks maybe.
The Aerostich is good over clothes and easy to put on and off.
I don't have the money for Aerostich either. I won 2 suits at rallies and got other Aerostich stuff on the ADV site and at rallies for cheap. Gotta shop around.
Aerostich is good stuff but maintaining it in the way of repairs can be pricey.
I crashed and destroyed a Darien suit. I was offered 10% off a new suit but couldn't afford the new price. That's when i started to find them used.

·
Administrator
17,521 Posts
I've been rocking an olympia one piece mesh suit with CE Armor in it for years. I even washed it once (probably should do that more often...)

Every pocket zipper except one is broken. So I only put things into one pocket. But damn if the thing isn't easy to put on and take off, and also let wonderful amounts of air flow through it in these hot summer days. Couple that with thermal undies and a heated jacket liner in the winter and I really don't NEED to buy another suit. Front main zipper handle broke off so now it has a keyring attached as it's pull, and the size zippers are still working fine.

I don't have the money for aerostitch. And honesly, even if I did, I'd probably go a different route anyway.

Alexi
Ya get what ya pay for, and the Stich suits/gear last/perform for years and years and years for good reasons........:wink2:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I hear you on the work commute thing, but sliding into my firstgear overpants, jacket, gloves takes me 3-5 minutes. were you joking when you said you wanted to be under 10 minutes? Time is important for me to, i dont leave much of it for lollygagging around in the morning.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Resurrect a thread from 12 years ago....whatever that guy was wearing won't fit him any longer, lol

I like my Rev'It kevlar jeans with CE knee pads. These work for local and fair weather commuting. Very comfortable into the mid 80's...hot above that when stopped or in slow-moving traffic. Firstgear jacket with gauntlet style gloves help with airflow up into the sleeves...with vents open on zipped and buttoned jacket, good into the high 80's before looking for mesh or cooling rag/vest/what have you.
This gear goes on in minutes and allows for local (200 miles or less) touring in good weather. When touring longer or in variable weather, I look to the touring pants over long underwear. Good no matter the temps, no matter the weather.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts