StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just installed the factory Suzuki center stand on the 1000 and I have a few concerns.

When down, the bike not only sits on the 2 pads at the end of each leg, but also on a part of the arm. I've never owned a bike with a center stand that does this, can someone else verify if there's also sits on the arm or was the one I purchased not quite welded up correctly?

Also, with everything liberally greased in the pivot area and the fasteners tightened to the torque specs called for in the installation instructions, the springs will not just snap it up easily, it requires a bit of help. The only way the stand moves up/down freely as every other bike I've owned, I have to reduce the factory torque spec from 36 pounds all the down to 12.
Anyone else experience this?

I did indeed verify I have the 1000 stand, not the 650.

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
Mines the same way...........

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same as how the arm makes contact, check. What about how easily it retracts, do you need to help it up with your toe to fully retract?

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
Sometimes I do have to help it up.... I clean and lube the stand pivots every service, then it works as it should.....

·
Registered
710 Posts
Mine sits on the ground like yours, but it retracts fully with no assistance. I installed it per factory instructions to the T.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mine sits on the ground like yours, but it retracts fully with no assistance. I installed it per factory instructions to the T.
Mine's all good - didn't bother with the torque wrench though...

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I would try loosening the bolts again all the way, set it on the stand a couple of times, and then re-tightening the bolts. May be in a slight bind?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had to go out to the garage and look at mine but it does set on the arm too. Other than that there's no problem with it retracting when you roll it off the center stand.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Are you in a cold climate? Some greases are quite gummy when cold.... I have a tube of Almaguard a great grease but it's not for everything. Causes lots of drag when cold.... just saying. Even no grease but oil lubed is ok IMO. The springs don't generate tremendous force causing stand to snap up in an extreme manner... simply hods it up snuggly.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bike is stored in a climate controlled area..between 60-70 year round. I emailed pics to the dealer I bought the stand from and they are contacting Suzuki on my behalf. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Mine is like yours and I wish at times the springs were more 'snappy'. If the full up position the springs hold the stand solid, so all is good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had that stand on my 03 DL1000 for a while. The tubing broke around the dented part of the tube area that sits on the ground, just to the right of the gusset that runs along the top. I welded it and it lasted another 1,000 miles before it broke in another area of the dented up tubing. It's pretty cheap material.

It will work fine if you don't put a lot of miles on the bike. But mine started going around 25K.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It broke because you did not heat treat it to relieve the weld stress.:confused:

1979 Triumph 136000mi. 1 owner
2004 Wee, 20000mi. SW moteck center stand, Mastad windshield mount, Suzuki gel seat, Tusk hand guards, Superbrace fork stabilizer, Raceteck springs & valves, Aprilla mirrors, Givi rack & bags E36&E21, Pellican top case, Renthal Fat Bars, Rox risers, Stainless steel break lines, engine guards, Skid plate alu.

·
Registered
140 Posts
On both my 2008 (RIP:bom_bigcry: ) and 2011 DL1000, the factory center stand behaves the same way. Sometimes it needs a bit of help!

~TR~

1 - 15 of 15 Posts