StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the electromagnetic side of the relay have a load separate from the switching side? Is there a way to calculate the load on the electromagnetic side?

I know a little bit about electronics, but I want to double-check to make sure I do this right. I want to use the heated grip circuit to run small, low-power gadgets like LEDs, voltage monitor, and relays.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
If the relay is a mechanical relay the contact side and the coil side are completely isolated if that's what you are asking. The coil side simply goes through the coil and energizes the magnet. Current flow through that circuit is typically only a few milliamps. The contact side is simply a mechanical switch and when the electromagnet is energized the switch is either closed (normally open relay) or opened (normally closed relay). Current flow through the contact side depends on the device being switched, of course.

If I misunderstood your question let me know and I'll try again.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
No sweat, glad to help.

The reason I qualified my answer with the phrase "Mechanical Relays" is that there are some solid-state relays. I haven't had much experience with them, and what little I did have was a number of years ago. I do remember that on the ones I had some of the load current showed up on the control side or some of the control current showed up on the load side, I can't remember which now. I just remember that the two sides weren't completely isolated like on a mechanical relay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts