StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove the secondaries throttle plate on my 03 Vee. I wanted to get used to the stock power delivery before doing so, and after 15000km, I'm ready for a bit more lively power delivery

I previously installed a PC3 in order to get the tuning right with the secondaries out. I use stock exhaust and intake. I'm thinking about taking advantage of the power commander's accelerator pump feature. I currently use 02-03 fuelmoto custom map.

do you have somme map and accelerator pump parameters suggestions for me?

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
Expect to lose smoothness and gain herky-jerky when you remove the secondary throttle plates.

·
Administrator
18,464 Posts
Adjust them properly and leave them "IN".

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Expect to lose smoothness and gain herky-jerky when you remove the secondary throttle plates.
Adjust them properly and leave them "IN".
One year ago, it seemed like THE thing to do, now that I search for info, there's many threads about leeving them in, and putting them back.

reduced power in 5th and 6th gear to limit top speed is OK for me, but dont they reduce power in 1st and 2nd gear too? I was under the impression that the unsignificant difference between 2nd and 3rd gear pulling power was due to the secondaries throttle plate, and they needed to go because of that !

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I am ignorant but heh its the internet so why would that stop me.

I assume that the MAP knows what to do via the gear selector reporter.

The TRE modification convinces the ECU that it is in 4th gear all the time.
They say that 4th gear is the full power gear.

BOG.. I am sure the real purpose of a ECU controlled throttles is to prevent BOG. When you snap open a throttle usually there would be a hesitation, almost stalling until a goos amount of fuel is added. That makes the Evil Promotion Agency mad. The 2nd )actually 1st throttles) open at a rate that prevents bog without the need for a shot of extra fuel.

Theoretically something else in the intake system has to restrict ultimate horsepower but there are so many other factors that I would be surprised it was almost detectable.

I am sorry to tell you that if you are dissatified with the power of this bike the real solution is jack up the mirrors and replace what's underneath

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you're telling me is interesting. If the secondaries prevent the air from rushing too fast to the cylinders, wich make engine bog when you can't supply enough fuel, then there must be some way to take advantage of it. PC3 accelerator pump should take care of this. It's easy to get back to stock as it doesn't involve permanent modifications, so it's worth spending some time.

I'm really happy with the power overall. It's just that, every time I go wild on the throttle, like to get on the freeway, and I feel almost no power drop between 2nd and 3rd. I know that this 2nd gear would be hella fun unrestricted...

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
My bike had them removed when I got it. I put them back in and adjusted them properly, and noticed absolutely zero drop in power or accelleration...but it was a hell of a lot smoother in/adjusted than without.

Your time and bike, but I'd leave 'em and adjust them for the best running bike.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
My bike had them removed when I got it. I put them back in and adjusted them properly, and noticed absolutely zero drop in power or accelleration...but it was a hell of a lot smoother in/adjusted than without.

Your time and bike, but I'd leave 'em and adjust them for the best running bike.
My situation exactly. Thus my earlier post.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was gonna take mine out also, to sort of free up some speed in 5th and 6th, after i installed an Ivan's tre, i thought i better leave them in for fear of running even leaner. I through a bunch of mods on my bike all at once,,, Two bros exhaust, the tre, and finally a dobeck fueler which works perfectly, from 2000 rpm's, all the way to red line. i can whack my throttle open at any time, there is no bog, no missing, only CRISP throttle response everytime!!! I am Very pleased with the way my bike runs.....:yesnod:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I want to remove the secondaries throttle plate on my 03 Vee. I wanted to get used to the stock power delivery before doing so, and after 15000km, I'm ready for a bit more lively power delivery

I previously installed a PC3 in order to get the tuning right with the secondaries out. I use stock exhaust and intake. I'm thinking about taking advantage of the power commander's accelerator pump feature. I currently use 02-03 fuelmoto custom map.

do you have somme map and accelerator pump parameters suggestions for me?
Unless you uncork the motor doing all the other stuff is a bit like pissing in the wind.
Alowing more air in and leting it out more freely is what gives the motor more power, perticularely big twins.

Secondaries do not restrict your top speed the ECU does and the TRE will cure that.
Secondaries control the ubrupt dumping of fuel and air which will create a hesittation under instant full throttle. It does feel more responsive in certain instances but is more intrusive in agressive riding hampering the ability to be smoother and harder on throtle coming out of corners.
Most racers leave them in for that reason. I know i tried it in my SV and my previous Vstrom and put them back in. This was few years ago so having said that I may try again on my SV with some research from the pros to see if this is curable with new PC's.

Regardless of the outcome I will not bother doing it on my Vstrom.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I took them out long time ago, Put them back in around 09 sometime
took them back out after a few months,
I like them out, Feels better to me, My butt-0-meter
yosh boxed
Custom pipes from Dave
K&N filter

G

·
Gas, meet Fire

Given the direction the conversations around here my suggestion will be contrary to my own opinion. Leave them in and adjust them properly. Where you will get the gain from removing them is up at the top of the tach and I don't think the group around here spends much time in the triple digits. The Strom does two things to regulate its top speed, it chokes the motor by closing the secondaries and leaning out the fuel map . If you take out the secondaries you MUST fatten up the fuel map at the top end or some bad things will eventually happen.

If you are just popping around town or on country roads @ 55mph you'll be better served by properly adjusting your secondaries. If you want to get the maximum out of your bike, then pull 'em and get it dyno'd.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Simple question,

Did the SV1000 have secondaries?

I have never ridden or worked on one, but it seems to be great right out of the box according to many, including a riding buddy who has one.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I continued my research and keep finding testimonials that removing the secondaries and making the fuel injection tuning right is turning the Vee into a wheelie-happy machine.

I looked at many PC3 maps available, and i'm convinced that many runs ways rich while crusing just to make the engine more responsive to throttle input. I'm pretty sure that with a closer-to-stock map and accelerator pump well tuned, I can have pretty much best of both worlds; fuel efficiency while crusing with throttle responsiveness that make the front-end feather-light

I'll let you know how it turns out, but might be next springs as temperature are getting close to freezing around here, and the bike is getting stored soon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts