StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

Since the only bikes I've had experience on are this one and the one I did the training course on, maybe this is common knowledge and not specific to the 650 but I figure I'd ask. My bike is a 2017 vstrom 650 that had 3700 miles on it.

So, that electronic hum/whine/whistle that inteisifies/abates in sync with the rpms, that's completely normal and is supposed to happen right?

Assuming that is the case - I understand that the engine probably drowns it out for everyone NOT riding the bike, but as the person on the bike, with the way it seems to emanate right out of the front into your face, it seems awfully...untamed at times. With my helmet visor down it's perfectly reasonable, but sometimes it just seems to really pop out at you. I believe I read it was the electronic fuel injection doing its thing?

Are there ways to muffle it? Assuming it is a normal part of the v-strom experience, I'm not terribly worried about it, but it sure would be nice if it were less obvious.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Welcome!

Well the bikes do make a lot of noise but I am not sure what noise you are referring to: electronic hum/whine/whistle that intensifies/abates in sync with the rpms

Are you saying it get louder with increasing rpm's or does the sound frequency/ pitch change with rpm?

Is it there when you just rev the engine in neutral or only when driving? If when driving in which gear(s)? At what rpms?

You may need to record it and post it on YouTube for the inmates to give you better answers.

AND fill in your profile so we know where you are, is sometimes important to understand certain issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, I'll get on that.

This video showcases it perfectly. Sorry not sure how to embed but it starts just as the ignition starts at 2:32
edit: Ugh I can't post links either yet, sorry, once my post count gets up I'll post the proper link, but until then I guess I can just tell you the name of the youtube video.

"Suzuki V-strom 650 walk around + engine sound" on youtube starting at 2:32

Just to be clear I am NOT referring to the "booting up" sounds when you flip the red switch.

As soon as the engine starts, in perfect sync with the putter putter of the engine, there's the putter putter of what I daresay sounds like a pump. As he moves back to the exhaust the putter of the exhaust becomes clearer while the electronic putter fades a bit, making it clear that while linked, the two types of putter come from a different source. The electronic putter is very clear and obvious from the moment the ignition starts up though. As he revs the engine, so too does the speed and pitch of the electronic putter. While the video does not showcase sustained high speeds, at high frequencies it does tend to sound like a whistle.

Judging by the tires the one in the video is probably new so I assume it's just part of the strom. But just the same, maybe someone has devised a way to muffle it?

Thank you.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
When you key on you will hear the whine of the fuel pump, but it does NOT go up and down with the rpm's. That noise must be from within the engine - possibly the cam chains rounding the cam chain sprocket, or the primary drive sprocket. That transmission tunnel seems to amplify engine noise on V-Stroms.

I found this on Amazon. Perhaps this foam could be adapted to fit a V-Strom.
https://www.amazon.com/Add-Accessories-18269-Tunnel-Filler/dp/B011LVBHJE/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_4?keywords=motorcycle+forks+tunnel&qid=1557633947&s=gateway&sr=8-4-fkmrnull

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks for the response, I'll get on that.

This video showcases it perfectly. Sorry not sure how to embed but it starts just as the ignition starts at 2:32
edit: Ugh I can't post links either yet, sorry, once my post count gets up I'll post the proper link, but until then I guess I can just tell you the name of the youtube video.
As soon as the engine starts, in perfect sync with the putter putter of the engine, there's the putter putter of what I daresay sounds like a pump. As he moves back to the exhaust the putter of the exhaust becomes clearer while the electronic putter fades a bit, making it clear that while linked, the two types of putter come from a different source. The electronic putter is very clear and obvious from the moment the ignition starts up though. As he revs the engine, so too does the speed and pitch of the electronic putter. While the video does not showcase sustained high speeds, at high frequencies it does tend to sound like a whistle.
Thank you.

@Wazooty, I watched the video and the rising, falling "whistle"sound is from the cam chain, at least is is on mine. ? Ear plugs help somewhat, but I've just gotten used to it to where I unconsciously tune it out-really doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
OK, this is the normal noise of the engine, as mentioned before. Wear ear plugs and focus on your riding, ignore all the sounds, its a new bike. At riding speed wind noise will be mostly what you hear.

And focus on ATGATT as well as additional lighting front and back and bright colors for your gear. They are out to get you and being defensive is important.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wazooty, You may find that the wind turbulence > vehicle noises ( yours as well as others ) Can be
almost completely eliminated with the use of ear plugs. I have never used them ever on any bike I've
owned except this one. 17 DL 650 The best way to descibe it, is like riding an electric motorcycle.
All the mechanical noises simply go away and you become one with the machine.
I purchased foam ear plugs that offer a 32 db noise reduction. Under my full face helmet.
I can still hear traffic and such but the volume feels one tenth that of normal.

Can I say that at first I thought " I don't need these things " Well after getting them I'm a believer.
They make the riding experience much more personal...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I thought I could do without ear plugs but I would recommend them to any rider unless they are already deaf. Maybe not needed on some other bikes but on my Strom they make long and short distances much more enjoyable. I found my ears ringing after rides without them. ringing=damage is my understanding. You may shrug it off when young but over time you regret not being able to hear music and conversation as well. RF-1200 is pretty quiet.

kfh000

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses lads and ladettes. Knowing that it's supposed to sound that way will make it easy to ignore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got the bike with 3700 miles on it. The dealer said they'd drop it off with new oil/filter and battery. Looking at the status of those items both when I got it and now, 2 months and 2500 miles later, after having looked up such details, suggests that may have been a lie. Anyways, I changed the oil/filter and maybe it's all placebo, but it sure feels like the high end whistle has really been reduced and the low end power that you want to hear really comes through better.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Do not rule out the fact the dealersip in question or shop could have possibly done or tried to do some service in which
they broke something or did not re-assemble the bike correctly. I would look closely at the gasket seal on the air box
and related intake components. High pitched whistle can be from an intake air leak.

It is also possible it may not trigger the check engine light. Note : gas tank needs to be removed to gain access to air box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figure since I already have a thread open, I'll use it to try and diagnose two more sounds which very well could be "normal" but we shall see.

First, a hissing akin to air leaking that is tied directly to application of the throttle at higher speeds. It is rather controlled and consistent, and seems to change in tone/volume as a higher gear is used. It is only active when the throttle is applied, it disappears with no throttle, even if clutch is not pulled. It is first noticeable in gear 4, but only a little over all the other sounds. Then in gear 5 it becomes loud enough to hear clearly and in gear 6 I hear it above most things. This assumes I'm on an otherwise quiet road. On a highway I can't hear much of anything. I don't think it's "loud" compared to everything else, but since it appears to be coming from up front I can hear it quite clearly. It seems quite controlled and consistent so maybe it's just the fuel pump? At first I though it was the brake disc being in contact with something it should, and the sound of metal sliding on metal but it is linked to the throttle so...

Another is a rattle that the engine makes upon ignition. It lasts a second and disappears. Again, there's a video someone has of this exact sound/problem but as I still don't have 10 posts best I can do for now is tell you what to search for in youtube. Sorry, I'll fix it when I can.

"Startup noise on 2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 ABS"

The only difference being that his continues to rattle, mine only does the initial rattle before disappearing.

Thanks all in advance

·
Registered
544 Posts
What you discribe just does not sound right. My bike makes none of this type noise. Do you know if the bike
has had the Recall mod on the fuel pump done ? Sorry if it was posted earlier I don't remember seeing that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldn't tell you. As far as I could tell the only thing that wasn't stock was the center stand but being new I wouldn't know what else to look for. Is there a specific year(s) that applies to? Mine is a '17 if that helps.

·
Registered
544 Posts
2017 and 2018 model years . O ring under one of the gas tank fuel pump fittings must be replaced which
is a warranty repair. I had mine done and the tech screwed up a few things putting the bike
back together again. He no longer works there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went on Suzukis website where you can enter the serial no. to see if it applies to your bike and it said no. But it doesn't even list the DL650 as a valid candidate so not sure what to think.

Good news though! Yet another constant worrying sound started just today! As long as the engine is on, there is a "shhhhhhhhhh" like hiss now, different from the other one. It increases and decreases with the throttle, but unlike the last one it is active whether the clutch is pulled or not. Upon getting off the bike, removing my helmet and inspecting the sound closer, it seems to have a rather electronic pump like sound, and seems to emanate approx from below the middle of the seat.

Anyways, I'm going to see about taking it in...this is getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Too many issues to count - Take it in and have it checked out by the dealer in your area. Not sure if they are good or not.
You might cast a line out to some other members in the Boston area about the Suzuki dealer to go to.
They can also look up your VIN number to see if the bike has had the O ring recall performed.

What really bothers me is the fact the bike was for sale after only having 3300 miles on it. Could be you got a lemon.
Or somebody has mucked something up. You get this figured out and you will see how great these bikes are.
They are good for many thousands of miles. mostly trouble free.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Motorcycles are mechanically noisy for the rider. Your sitting on top of the engine after all.
The type of noises you hear will change as you ride at different speeds and conditions also.

A V-Strom is one of the most reliable bikes made. Unless you get a check engine light or have some symptom other than noise don't worry about it. Yea make sure the bike's got oil in it, the chain is not too tight and lubed, tires have the correct amount of air, etc. normal bike maintenance stuff.

You're a new rider and concerned, I get that. Best thing to do is wear ear plugs all the time and ride the bike. You'll get used to the "normal" racket soon enough. If something is wrong with the bike you'll know after awhile more than likely though the bike is fine, just ride it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't agree but what do I know . I've ridden my bike with no helmet at all and it does not make the sounds he descibes.

Yeah keep riding just don't go far from the house. make sure your insurance includes towing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts