StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the horn came with an extension on the casting, and a bolt. I got the Walsh bracket yesterday.

Is this how it mounts? His directions only show it mounted.

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I dont know, but if you can take some pics were you will install it and some write up.
Thanks Zygis

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
That's it. The U fits around the fairing frame member and the horn connection is how you show it. Keep the cylindrical part vertical.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Are you Pat Walsh, or is the name a coincidence?

·
38,048 Posts
I am not Pat Walsh.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frustration sets in. Hook up the bracket, Eastern Beaver harness, hit the button lights dim, but no horn!

And, I can't find my continuity tester to see if the relay is triiping and it's getting power. It was the last think I was going to do before I got it on the road. Grrrrrr.

·
38,048 Posts
You should hear the relay click. When I first tried mine, all I got was the relay click. I had no fuse in the fuse block. The lights should not dim. Try running a pair of wires directly from the horn to the battery for an instant to make sure the horn is working. Watch the polarity.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Doh!

Checked the leads to the relay with a multimeter - 12V. Checked voltage to horn: 0 V.

Then, a revelation: the horn will not work, no matter how many times you press the starter button!

How I got it into my head to push the starter button when there was a red switch with a horn on it, right in front of my face, but that's what I did! Time to start making AARP jokes......

The Eastern Beaver harness makes it pretty foolproof, but I proved a Greater Fool.

·
38,048 Posts
The first time I tried it, I did the same thing. The second time I tried, I just got a relay click. I hadn't put a fuse in. You're not alone.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Wow, I'm not the only genius on the board.

Doh!

Checked the leads to the relay with a multimeter - 12V. Checked voltage to horn: 0 V.

Then, a revelation: the horn will not work, no matter how many times you press the starter button!

How I got it into my head to push the starter button when there was a red switch with a horn on it, right in front of my face, but that's what I did! Time to start making AARP jokes......
That's a nice senior moment. Imagine how bystanders are going to feel when you try to start your bike and give them a big blast of STEBEL HORN!

I swear that sounds just like something I would do.

bogey78

·
38,048 Posts
The switches all change position depending on whether you're standing next to the bike or sitting on it. ;) My mind may forget but my thumbs know where the horn button is.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That's a nice senior moment. Imagine how bystanders are going to feel when you try to start your bike and give them a big blast of STEBEL HORN! //
Muscle memory - you usually walk up to the bike, switch the key on, then hit the starter. So I didn't think anything of it.

Great sound, though. Now my wife wants one for her minivan.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally got to use it today. This is a great safety addition!

·
Registered
961 Posts
It will fit up under the right side cowling so you don't have to look at it.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
It will fit up under the right side cowling so you don't have to look at it.
I put mine under the left side so that the horn was facing clear air.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nowadays if I see someone glance in their rear view or side mirrors, I hit the button. This prevented two SUV's from joining me in my lane today. But it's Sunday, as my wife says, "It's their day."

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've had this setup (PW bracket & stebel horn) on my 02 V for about a year and while the bracket holds the horn snug it is very close to the left fork. It hasn't moved at all in a thousand miles or so though so I'm just keeping my eye on it for now.

I originally tried to mount it with hose clamps and I wasn't too happy with that as a permanent solution. The PW bracket is very robust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts