StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a simple question for those "in the know". I just installed both a 12V outlet and a dual-USB outlet this weekend. Today my Signal Dynamics (Heads-UP Monitor from AdventureTech) Voltage Monitor arrived. Can I just tap into either the 12V outlet wires or the dual-usb outlet wires for my voltage monitor?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yes, but if you wired the outlets direct to the battery then the voltmeter will never turn off, so you may drain your battery if you don't ride for extended periods of time. It;s bet to have the volt meter on a source that switches with the key.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks vanislejay. I wired to switched circuits on an Eastern Beaver PC-8; so, that should be no problem. I do have another question though. When I do that and use the taps/clamps provided with the voltage monitor will there be a problem if the voltage monitor wires are 18 gauge and my wires to the accessory plugs are 14 gauge? It's my understanding, based on color, that the tap/clamps (blue color) are for wires ranging from 14 to 18 gauge.

·
Registered
97 Posts
if you run the 18ga wire like 20ft you may see 2 - 3/10ths of a voltage drop. so no issues with different ga wires. got virtually the same 3 on my wee too but I used Marine grade units from Amazon and added a switched led center light for side visibility too. drilled 4 1" wholes in the faring surround to install them.

here's my post with pics:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/5376513-post4.html

·
Registered
2,707 Posts

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Those LED displays don't take much power to operate so the wires can be quite small gauge.
I notice some odd variations in the display when using the after things it shares the 12V with.
For the cleanest signal attaching to the EB relay source and running the ground back to the battery might be the way to go.
That way you will be reading battery voltage and not some voltage being shared with riding lights or the Gerbing controller.
I say this 'cus I still need to clean up my wiring.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,150 Posts
One of the most important things you can do for your V Strom is install a voltmeter!

One of the least important things is exactly how accurate it is. You will always lose a small amount of voltage installing a meter inline somewhere compared to what it would show wired directly to the battery. Some places more loss, some places less loss.

But it does NOT matter. The voltmeter is there to tell you when things change as much as anything. If you normally see 13.6 volts running to work....and then you see 12.4 something is wrong! See 11 volts and you better be looking for a way off the highway! They can help determine when/if you are using too much power with accessories and gear too of course. If you are worried about accuracy, start the bike and using a meter check exact voltage across the battery terminals. Then look at your voltmeter. Rev the engine a bit and do the check again. The voltage differences may be similar, but will be close to each other. Remember that number if there is much difference and just add that amount to your voltmeter reading and you will know the exact status of your battery and charging system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts