StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen numerous references in various different threads about some unused/capped connectors on V-stroms as they come from the factory. Heated grip wiring, auxilliary wiring, etc., are just some of the things I've seen referenced. So, how many of such connectors are there? Where are they all located? I'm an electrical novice; so, for what can they be used? I'm assuming they can be used for any accessory one wants. This would be an easy way for me to forego running additional wire in the future. I placed this in this forum because I own a 2017 DL650 XT.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Eastern Beaver is your friend. They have excellent reputation, solid engineering and a ready-made solution to providing power to your accessories--switched or unswitched.

Not avoiding your query, just forwarding some potentially useful information. There are unused plugs available on Stroms for items such as heated grips, etc. that were not factory installed. Those are still an option, but the pre-engineered solutions available make these tasks much easier.

·
Registered
235 Posts
+1 for eastern Beaver. I ran their stuff on my previous Vstrom, bought some non bike specific things for other bikes I've owned, and am currently running their stuff on my current vstrom.

They have connectors that use those unused plugs, and also a few things that split off from current plugs (for example, if you want a switched relay, they have one that ties into the break lights I believe)

I might even put their little Beaver power sticker on my saddlebag!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm assuming they can be used for any accessory one wants.
You have to look at the size of the fuse that protects the circuit you're tapping into. You can't overload the fuse.

The accessory plug doesn't have anything drawing from it. It's on a 3A fuse so you can tap into those wires for small things like a phone, GPS or small LED spots, but you ain't hooking a heated jacket liner to it.

Fuse #2 protects the unused heated grip fitting. It's on a circuit along with your horn, dash & all non-headlight lighting. With no heated grips added you probably have about 3A of bandwidth there too since that's the approx draw of heated grips.

Safe bet is always to create a new direct-to-battery circuit with in-line fuse holder and relay. Loads on of how-to info out there on doing this.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys. However, I have enough Eastern Beaver stuff to open an outlet store. Heck I even use it for my boat and my pickup.

On another note, I've seen numerous references in various different threads about some unused/capped connectors on V-stroms as they come from the factory. Heated grip wiring, auxilliary wiring, etc., are just some of the things I've seen referenced. So, how many of such connectors are there? Where are they all located? I'm an electrical novice; so, for what can they be used? I'm assuming they can be used for any accessory one wants. This would be an easy way for me to forego running additional wire in the future.

Thanks for that information brock29609.

·
Registered
470 Posts
So, how many of such connectors are there?

I'm only aware if the heated grip connector, however, there's no reason to go chasing connectors. There are wires all over the bike that you can tap into. The ones running down the left side to the rear lighting is the easiest to get access. Same circuit as the heated grip connector.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm only aware if the heated grip connector
I've read people discussing at least one other unused auxiliary connector. Of course, they could be wrong. That's why I posted this thread.

.........there's no reason to go chasing connectors. There are wires all over the bike that you can tap into.
I know. However, that doesn't let one know about the unused connectors that exist.

There are wires all over the bike that you can tap into.
I know, I've done that.

The ones running down the left side to the rear lighting is the easiest to get access.
The ones for my rear lighting run down the right side and I have tapped into that/those.

The ones running down the left side to the rear lighting is the easiest to get access. Same circuit as the heated grip connector.
That I did not know. Very interesting.

Onto the topic of this thread, Does anybody know how many there are and where they are all located? I think we are agreed that the heated grip connector is 1. I've heard/read reference to others. Curiosity is it. I just thought it would be easy to put that inquiry out there for anybody who might know.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've read people discussing at least one other unused auxiliary connector.

The ones for my rear lighting run down the right side
The wiring diagram shows only the one for grips, if that means anything to you.

For clarity for those reading, rear lighting wires run on left side from battery rearward. Not sure if they also extend from the front half.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The wiring diagram shows only the one for grips, if that means anything to you..
It does. Thank you. Apparently the others are mistaken.

For clarity for those reading, rear lighting wires run on left side from battery rearward. Not sure if they also extend from the front half.
For clarity for those reading, my apologies as I don't assume you are all as big of morons as I am. I made the, apparently false, assumption that the brake light wires (which are on the right side of the bike as pictured below - white plug with white wires) and the "rear lighting wires", as mentioned by brock29609, ran together. So as to not create confusion, if you order a PC-8 from Eastern Beaver, it's plug fits right into that junction/plug on the right side of your motorcycle. Maybe there is a matching one on the left side for other rear lighting. If so, I didn't mean to make you think you couldn't use it. This is the one (right side, pictured below) I was directed to use by Jim at Eastern Beaver.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh, and in case I'm wrong again. As I've stated previously, I am an electronics moron. I may have made a different false assumption. What I do know is unplugging the pictured connection above, my brake lights don't work. Plugging it back in, they work. Maybe it's not the brake wire; but, it definitely has that affect AND the PC-8 powers up and acts as it should as I was promised by Jim at Eastern Beaver.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I'm only aware of the HG and AUX OEM wiring. As mentioned previously, using Eastern Beaver with the right connectors is the way to go to avoid cutting any wires.

I have used both, for their intended purposes, and still have a EB 3PCS for my DHRK, Heated Gear, and aux lighting.

Now that I have swapped out my power hungry H4 bulbs with LEDs, I have power to spare :grin2:

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm only aware of the HG and AUX OEM wiring. As mentioned previously, using Eastern Beaver with the right connectors is the way to go to avoid cutting any wires.

I have used both, for their intended purposes
This is enlightening and confirms what I suspected and is consistent with what I was trying to ask in my initial post. I probably should have just pulled out the shop manual and searched it even though schematics are hieroglyphics to me (but I'm learning). I just figured having this post and the answer would also help others. Can you confirm where those are located Webfors, generally?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
This is enlightening and confirms what I suspected and is consistent with what I was trying to ask in my initial post. I probably should have just pulled out the shop manual and searched it even though schematics are hieroglyphics to me (but I'm learning). I just figured having this post and the answer would also help others. Can you confirm where those are located Webfors?
Infamous question :)

I believe the HG adaptor resides tucked just above the radiator on the left side (if memory serves me right) and the AUX connector is tucked under the right side of the front fairing.

I had a harder time finding the AUX connector. Many have reported finding the HG connector isn't easy. I would recommend getting flat on the ground, looking up at the bike and start working your way around from different angles.

Here's a good thread that has pictures!

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012-2016/112409-aux-connector-heated-grip-connector-location.html

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Webfors. This is exactly the information I was seeking in my initial post.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you have your sides confused. The right side of the bike is on your right as you're riding on it. Throttle on the right, clutch lever on the left.
I don't my friend. As I sit on my bike, facing forward, that pictured connector sits under my right thigh, on the same side as my throttle and brake lever. I'll get some more pictures to show you as I know in looking at the closeup picture I've provided does not confirm the right-side nature. Maybe my bike is an anomaly.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Pictures of connector on right side. The first picture, from my post above is the connector, prior to EB PC-8 connector install. The three below are zooming from further out to in showing indeed the right side where the EB connector is connected to brake light power line. By the way, this thread on the UK V-strom forum has people posting my exact results with brake light power on the right side: https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=32513.0

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For those who have followed this thread, I have found two. One is at the rear under the seat at the far back compartment. I have not used it yet. The other is on the left side, behind the radiator up top. My bike is a 2017 650 XT. The connector was taped to another wire to hold it in place using white electric tape. When I spotted it, I could see it was white. Looking in you are looking for a whit plug with two black dots, side by side facing you. There is a tab on one side that you press and out comes the plug. I had an auxiliary plug and cord from Eastern Beaver. I plugged it in to the unused cord/connector (presumably the heated grip connector) and attached it to my GPS wires and, bingo, functioning GPS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts