StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weekend I'm going to install a new/another horn. I have purchased and am installing a FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Low Note Horn. I want to run the process by those of you in the know to see if I have learned properly and then want to present you with a second scenario.

First, I've learned that I want and need a relay. Got it. I think I've learned that I should do it as follows. I intend to take the horn connections off the stock horn and put them on the relay terminals 85 and 86. Then, I connect terminal 87 on the relay to the positive terminal on the new horn. Next, I connect terminal 30 on the relay to the battery positive through an inline fuse place as close to the battery as practical. I then connect the remaining free terminal on the horn to the battery negative. Then wire the new horn from the relay. Do I place a fuse between the relay and the new horn if I'm going to wire to a fused connection on the EB-PC8? I think those are the important questions.

Now, I have located an unused bolt hole under the front of the bike below the fork brace (I think that's what it is called) on which I can mount the new horn. I bought an L bracket and bolt that will allow me to mount the FIAMM facing forward instead of into the engine like the factory horn. As a tangent, why does Suzuki, knowing it is using such a crappy horn, mount it in a manner that ensures it is also muffled? Anyway, I digress. Utilizing this new forward facing horn mounting locations created another question. Would it be easy for me to leave the OEM horn in place and connect the new horn in addition to the OEM horn? I assume this would be easy. I assume, once I go through the process outlined above, I could then just splice/positap wires from my "new arrangement" into the factory horn and be good to go. Thanks in advance for whatever input you can provide.

·
Registered
480 Posts
1) No relay required if you are running only the one FIAMM horn. Relay required if you run the FIAMM & Factory horns or two low/high note FIAMM horns.

2) The factory horn wiring harness and horn switch are already on a fused circuit so no need for another fuse there.

3) Yes, you do need a fused circuit for the relay on the line that feeds the power to the multiple horns. The fuse should be placed as close to the battery as possible.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Oh forgot, not sure about your mounting setup for the FIAMM horn but one thing to consider is the the horn opening should face downward if possible so water can drain out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts