StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Q2 has a jack for an MP3 player, IPod, etc. When using this jack, do you then get your tunes in stereo?

If you use the Bluetooth portion of the Q2 and play tunes thru a GPS, you only get mono as the Cardo does not support A2DP.

Cheers

·
Registered
870 Posts
The sound from the Q2 is dual mono. The quality is crap, and the audio level is way below the bluetooth side of things, by about half or -3dB.

I bought one, specifically for the mp3 plug in , but with ear plugs at 100kmh, the music was just about inaudible, the GPS, intercomm and phone functions via Bluetooth were great.

I now have the Cardos system, which is stereo Bluetooth music, excellent sound, but it has other issues, control wise, not sound wise. :)

Cheers
TravellingStrom

·
Registered
333 Posts
As said, the music is just mono duplicated on two speakers. Not real stereo.
I find it acceptable, my wife thinks it's slightly better than ok. She listens as a passenger. I use a sony walkman mp3 player, I notice that the quality issues seem to be related to the type of music and the age of the song. I don't listen to quiet, peaceful music when I'm riding, and i don't use earplugs, so maybe that's why I get a little more volume out of it.
I've just accepted the fact that i'll never duplicate my car's stereo sound on my bike with those two tiny speakers.
Chris in Boston

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sound from the Q2 is dual mono. The quality is crap, and the audio level is way below the bluetooth side of things, by about half or -3dB.

I bought one, specifically for the mp3 plug in , but with ear plugs at 100kmh, the music was just about inaudible, the GPS, intercomm and phone functions via Bluetooth were great.

I now have the Cardos system, which is stereo Bluetooth music, excellent sound, but it has other issues, control wise, not sound wise. :)

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Q2 is Cardos, which system are you referring to?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This from Webbikeworld.com;

"Using the MP3 input jack for the first time was a revelation – the typical mono audio heard from voice communications or the lacklustre FM receiver was replaced with stereo audio. The speakers lack the overall response and tone found in the AKE intercom system, the Midland BT2 or the Camos systems, but the audio is still good, as is volume control."

Answers my question, thanks to those who responded.

Cheers,

·
Registered
870 Posts
Q2 is Cardos, which system are you referring to?

Cheers

Yeah, sorry my mistake, I meant Camos

I wear earplugs to stop the wind noise and the resultant headache, so I need the extra volume to penetrate them. I also listen mostly to heavy metal, hard rock stuff, but I still expect a bit of clarity, which the Camos gives me and full stereo is the bees knees.

Cheers
TS

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No prob TS. Say, any plans on riding thru Canada?..specifically southern Manitoba? I can provide a place to lay your head, service your bike, wet your whistle, etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
870 Posts
No prob TS. Say, any plans on riding thru Canada?..specifically southern Manitoba? I can provide a place to lay your head, service your bike, wet your whistle, etc.

Cheers
Yep I am sure hitting Canada, don't know where, don't know when :)

Thanks for the offer, I will add it to my list of drinking holes :)

Cheers
TS

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, I went ahead and bit the bullet. Recieved my Q2 multiset just the other day and have been toying around with it. So far it does everything it advertises, however, the speakers are absolute crappola. With my IPod supplying the tunes, the speakers are horrendously "tinny" no matter what I set the EQ to on my pod. I have the speakers located correctly, with them just touching my ears. I am very disappointed in the poor speakers.

Speach sound quality is fine, GPS instructions and phone comes in great. There just isnt any bass at all when listening to tunes however.

I wonder if there are better speakers available and how difficult it would be to swap them out? I will first try a higher quality jack cable as the included one seems like it might be on the chintsy side.

The full duplex feature for communicating is great, no waiting for the other person to stop talking, so its more like talking on the phone. Pairing was simple as pie with my TomTom Rider2, there is an FM radio but I havnt bothered trying that yet.

Cheers!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I currently have the same issue with my q2.

When I talk to my wife with the q2 or talk on the cell phone, everything sounds fine and perfect. Being able to both talk at the same time is an awsome feature.

I tried using my gps to play mp3 and also my ipod to play mp3 but both hurt my ears if I turn it up because the speakers are "tinny" sounding.

Let me know if you find better speakers.

I am going to try using ear buds with the ipod and just turn up the q2 so it goes past the ear buds for now. I will have to pause the ipod when we are talking, but I only plan on doing this on longer rides.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to look into replacing the speakers myself. Your idea is a good one too, having the option of earbuds would be nice. Perhaps the wires going to the present speakers can have a jack plug installed. Shouldnt be too difficult actually.

Cheers

·
Registered
101 Posts
I tried the ear buds I had and they just are not going to work out for me. The ear buds stick out a little too far from my ears so they end up touching the helmet, this is going to cause me pain. Also, the earbuds are ones that go in ear, if my helmet moves at all, they come out and the audio sounds like crap. The other issue is all of the wires. I tucked the wires from the scala rider into the helmet. The earbud wires i had hanging and it bothered me.

My wife used some regular ipod earbuds with her setup and it worked fine for her. She said she usually just did 1 ear so she didn't have to worry about the wires.

Eventually, I think I will replace the speakers. I think earbuds would work if you have a few min to get everything setup properly(make sure your ears won't hurt & wires are out of the way), and you will be on a longer ride.

I did find this site when I started looking for helmet speakers.
http://helmetspeakers.com/

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I wanted to get away from ear buds. As you say, half the time they move or fall out as putting your helmet on, extra wires, etc.

I tried a set of those HS92 speakers, they are no good (or at least no better than what is already in the Q2 set).

Cheers

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am going to look into replacing the speakers myself. Your idea is a good one too, having the option of earbuds would be nice. Perhaps the wires going to the present speakers can have a jack plug installed. Shouldnt be too difficult actually.

Cheers
This thread on advrider might be useful. A nice write up with pics on how to do exactly what you are thinking of.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442304

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Just picked a couple Q2 sets. The mount went on my helmet with no fuss or muss. Lynda's helmet is a Zox flip face and the darn thing has a different shaped lower edge on the bottom of the helmet. It will not mount securely without modifying the helmet(don't really want that)or just resorting to industrial strength 2 sided tape. Anyone out there have the same problem and developed a fix ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just picked a couple Q2 sets. The mount went on my helmet with no fuss or muss. Lynda's helmet is a Zox flip face and the darn thing has a different shaped lower edge on the bottom of the helmet. It will not mount securely without modifying the helmet(don't really want that)or just resorting to industrial strength 2 sided tape. Anyone out there have the same problem and developed a fix ?
My scala q2 multiset came with two fixing methods for each. The clamp on method plus an optional stick on bracket for helmets that couldn't accept the clamp. Can't you use the bracket designed for the second method on her helmet?

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
My scala q2 multiset came with two fixing methods for each. The clamp on method plus an optional stick on bracket for helmets that couldn't accept the clamp. Can't you use the bracket designed for the second method on her helmet?

Hmm. Must be an added feature with the Multiset or I got short changed when I bought the stuff. It was a private deal and I had assumed everything in the package was correct. Maybe I will inquire about a stick on bracket in the near future. Can't be that expensive and I've come this far. Thanks a bunch for the info, never would have thought of it.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have mine on a Zox flip up, had no issue using the mount at all. Mine is a Genesis R model. I found that the stick on mount wouldnt actually work with the shape of the helmet edge as there would be very little of the mounting surface that would contact the helmet. I also do believe that the "newer" version of the Q2 has a redesigned mount. It is different than the one that came with my regular Scala Rider headset.

The owners manual that came with my multiset shows everything that comes with it, and it shows the stick on mount.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
not trying to hijack, but how does this unit compare to the ChatterBox XBi unit? I'm looking to purchase one of these 2 units. My main use will be music, and the ability to take a call every now and then. Oh and looking for the least amount of wires.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts