StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vee just rolled over 42,000. I am not experiencing any problems, but from a preventative perspective, is the fuel pump an item which I need to start thinking about replacing? At $700+ if I need to think about replacing in the future, I need to put some funds away. Is this an item of common problem?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Not telling you what to do, but if this was my bike and I was worried about the fuel pump at this mileage I would do a check to see how much volume the pump is putting out. If it was within the limits that Suzuki dictates, I would leave well enough alone. If I was going on a around the world trip soon, my answer might be different but that is a whole 'nuther issue.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
The internal fuel filter is the size of a small pack of gum, and yes, it will clog soon... but never fear, the external filter mod is easy and cheap. Details over on VSRI.

The fuel pumps rarely actually fail on these bikes -- it's just that the stupid undersized internal filter inevitably clogs up somewhere around 50,000 - 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
just curious

Has anyone tried back-flushing the filter by reversing the polarity on the pump (preferable at just a couple of volts, to keep the pressure down)? Dunno if this would work with the inline regulator. The external filter fix makes me a bit nervous, having two more points of failure (well, three, if you include the filter itself) in a high-pressure line filled with highly flammable liquid running between my legs.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The internal fuel filter is the size of a small pack of gum, and yes, it will clog soon... but never fear, the external filter mod is easy and cheap. Details over on VSRI.

The fuel pumps rarely actually fail on these bikes -- it's just that the stupid undersized internal filter inevitably clogs up somewhere around 50,000 - 60,000 miles.
Wouldn't that have been good to get 50k out of the original filter...

The gas available here is so bad, most full-size vehicles need a fuel filter replaced every 25-30k.

I've got 22k on the Vee and it's nearly completely clogged. If fact I am in the middle of the Bypass/Remote Filter Mod right now. Hopefully get it back together in the next day or so. I just couldn't tolerate the low-speed chugging and sputtering anymore.

As far as the Mod being "easy and cheap", I agree with the cheap part, at least compared to replacing with another factory unit.
I'm taking the slow and cautious route.

Something that cars have that motorcycles don't is a FIREWALL.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
peeps seem to freak out the moment the fuel pump starts to make noise. mine started making noise at 35k. i now have 83k on the clock. same fuel pump. works ok for me. IOW's i wouldnt worry about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts