StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2012 DL1000 this year and I only have a few hundred miles on it. My riding so far has been two lane pavement and dirt roads. Some of the roads are smooth and some are extremely rough (frost heave damage, torn up pavement, washboard dirt roads, etc.). So far I have not noticed any issues with the handling or stability. I have noticed that people say that a fork brace is their #1 FARKLE.

I am assuming that next winter I will probably do the Tokico front brake upgrade. At that point I think a fork brace would be a good idea.

I am curious as to what problems people are solving by installing a fork brace?

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,256 Posts
I don't think I would call a fork brace a problem solver. But is sure does improve the feel and feedback from the front suspension! Even at slow speeds the steering felt more "tight". Under braking it does keep some of the squirm out of the front end especially under hard braking. You have heard some describe modified front suspensions as being more "planted" and I will have to say the fork brace can give a similar improvement.

What you have to remember is that if either of the fork tubes flex it actually moves the axle the wheel is mounted on. Moving the axle is just like moving the handlebars. Eliminate some of the flex and you can see how the front would seem a LOT more stable.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I found things like passing semis on the Interstate to be a lot more stable with the brace. It also calmed down some headshake I'd get at Interstate speeds with all the luggage on.

Very much worth the investment.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The fork brace makes a huge improvement. It makes the what the front tire is doing more direct to the handlebars. As for brakes, I have the 4 piston upgrade, and while it's good and worthwhile, there are other steps you should take first. HH/sintered brake pads are first, followed by braided steel brake lines, then the GSXR calipers and adapters.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I slightly disagree with Craig. Yes to the fork brace. Then do either the 4 piston brake upgrade or the HH pads on the stock calipers. The original pads on the stock calipers always stop the bike, but they have the wooden feel and require more lever force. The HH pads on the stock calipers do not fit the 4 piston calipers, so consider those if you're not planning on the 4 piston upgrade anytime soon. My stock brake lines give me a firm feel. I'll change to stainless brake lines when the stock lines become deteriorated and the stock replacements cost more than aftermarket stainless.

(By the way, I had a stainless brake line blow out on my truck. The teflon inner tube has less flex fatigue resistance than stock EPDM. If the inner tube fails the brake line blows out.)

·
Registered
441 Posts
For as inexpensive Rick's forkbrace is, it is a no brainer. It really does solidify the front end. I noticed it most when entering drive ways on an angle that have large 2" lips. It used to just wiggle over them, but now it goes over as one unit.

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
i bought one. didnt really need one. i cant tell if it made any difference in handling but, it looks cool so, i guess it was worth it. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fork Brace: As stated before, bike feels more planted around turns and passing in turbulent air. (ie semi's and such).
My opinion is that Suzuki should have the fork brace as OEM. Have not considered brake upgrade, but I can see where bike would benifit.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Looking at your current/previous rides, you may not appreciate a fork brace as much as others. You vee has a more stable front end than either of your former rides. I come from old school UJM rides and find no need for a brace, since my vee feels tons more planted than any pre 1990 bike. Just my worthless .02.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking at your current/previous rides, you may not appreciate a fork brace as much as others. You vee has a more stable front end than either of your former rides. I come from old school UJM rides and find no need for a brace, since my vee feels tons more planted than any pre 1990 bike. Just my worthless .02.
That's the way I kind of feel about it. I also owned at various times 3 different Kawasaki 500 Mach III's. I rode my first Mach III across the country from California to NH in 4 days. The Vee feels pretty darn good to me.

After riding through some washboards the other day I figured what the heck maybe the brace will actually help retain the great feel that I have now. I went ahead and ordered the Adventure Tech one. I should have it by this weekend.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Went with a forkbrace and ATV bars with a crossbrace. To me the ride seems more planted both on and off pavement. :yesnod:
I also have a cross brace on the bars, but in my case it's the bolt on one available from Twisted Throttle. Like the fork brace, it helps with front end feel.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got my Adventure Tech brace today and installed it. Really easy to do. I mainly got it as insurance to maintain the great feel that it has right now being brand new. If it also improves it's handling on some of the nastier terrain that I ride on then it's a win win.

Thanks everyone for your opinions/comments.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't have much to compare it with, but I've noticed quite a bit of stability improvement since I installed my fork brace. Cross winds have a very reduced effect now. It's also quite a bit more stable in the twisties. For me, it was worth the money.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went for a ride today on several different types of terrain, just enjoying the nice weather. It seems that the fork brace does make a difference that I can notice on the rougher dirt roads that I ride on. The front end seemed gentler on my hands and less harsh on the washboard type of terrain. I really didn't think i would notice a difference.

I guess there is also a benefit in it because you can use it to true up your front end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I added the fork brace (adventure tech) on my 12 1000 Strom, i thought it was a nice improvement over stock , same statement, feels more planted in the turns, over bumps in turns ...... i also did the EBC HH pad upgrade, increased stopping power ,and more important ,more progressive feeling, so for under $200. a big overall improvement !! ...VS a whole upgrade front end and brake system , Money no object , we would all have the high level upgrades!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Fork brace, 4piston brake upgrade, . new bars with cross brace, better fork springs .
With some thoughtful upgrades it is surprising how well this bike will handle.

I also have a Elka shock, leo vince exhaust, power commander, PR 5 tires and Timing retard eliminator.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts