StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

It may be about time to change my chain kit, it makes noise, it started looking rusty, it's not so smooth to ride and it's been with me more than 20.000 km (without any real taking care, i know, my bad). Also i'm running out of extra lines in the tensor. I plan to do it myself since i've some experience with small dirt bikes and i feel daring.

But there is something that worries me. Cutting the chain to size or having a too short chain. This single step could be out of my reach and the end of my ambitions.

In the "local" dealership there are two kits that seem sutable for my bike.

1. DID CHAIN-KIT 525VX/E DL 650V-STR.07-118/15/47
2. DID CHAIN-KIT 525VX/E DL650V-ST.04-06 116/15/47

It seems to me like the only difference is the chain lenght.

Do you guys have any experience with those DID kits? and would you know which one fits the 2004 DL650? I haven't counted the links on my current chain, therefore i ask.

As usual any advice or comment will be highly appreciated.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
2004-2006 Wees have 116 link chains. 2007 and later have 118 links due to longer swingarms to make room for ABS units.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
DID makes good chain, and their VX series is good.

The /E indicates that it is an endless chain. To put this on either the chain must be broken and a master link installed (chain breaker & rivet tool required), or the swing arm pivot must be removed (big job). The /N would be better with the riveted master link. The security of a clip connecting link is suspect. Note that the brand & model of the master link must match the brand & model of the chain (DID-VX chain and DID master link for VX chain).

The 15 tooth front sprocket and 47 tooth rear sprocket are standard for the 650.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts