StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to wally world this morning to buy oil and I am confused with the different designations and lack of cap color for Mobil 1. I bought Mobil 1 10-40 that doesn't have the energy conservation in the lower of the "circle".
I assume this means it is ok for use with wet clutches. Is true?

·
Administrator
17,219 Posts
All we can do is assume........

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I don't think the base oil is the deciding factor about wet clutch operation. I think it is the additive package that matters.*

Here's the Mobil 1 lineup:
Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil

The only 10W-40 oils I see are their oil for so-called high mileage engines and their 4T motorcycle oil. I don't think any "high mileage" oil nor any 10W-40 qualify for the Energy Conserving category.

*An engine oil is about 75~80% base oil and about 20~25% additive package. The base oil can be conventional petroleum refined to various levels--Group II, Group II+, Group III (which can be marketed as full synthetic), or true synthetics such as polyalphaolefin (Group IV) or esters (Group V), or blends of the above. The additive package includes anti wear agents, antioxidants, antifoamants, corrosion inhibitors, friction modifiers, pour point depressants, viscosity index improvers, dye, etc. Certain friction modifiers don't work well in wet clutches and others work OK...Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 contains some moly, for example. A motorcycle oil I trust contains both moly and a proprietary friction modifier, and both these are JASO-MA certified for wet clutches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts