StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a Gerbing 12V Heated Jacket Liner and installed it today. How warm is this jacket supposed to get. I had it on at 100% for about 20 minutes and it barely felt warm at the panels in the chest and arms. I have heated grips that I have never had above 50% because they get too hot. How warm is this jacket supposed to get. At this rate not sure why I bought a controller because it will always be set at 100% and no need to go lower, but would want it to go higher. Note the controller is on "A" which is supposed to indicate 100%. No difference at "9".

Anyone own one that can give me some thoughts on this. Do I need to return it

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Purchased a Gerbing 12V Heated Jacket Liner and installed it today. How warm is this jacket supposed to get. I had it on at 100% for about 20 minutes and it barely felt warm at the panels in the chest and arms. I have heated grips that I have never had above 50% because they get too hot. How warm is this jacket supposed to get. At this rate not sure why I bought a controller because it will always be set at 100% and no need to go lower, but would want it to go higher. Note the controller is on "A" which is supposed to indicate 100%. No difference at "9". View attachment 268713

Anyone own one that can give me some thoughts on this. Do I need to return it
Do you have it connected direct to the battery? Are the wires to it getting hot? I don’t have Gerbing but my Cycle Gear Hotwired is warm enough to run on low most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
My Gerbings could roast me out on high settings. You could have a bad controller or a bad jacket. I have a straight on/off switch that I use when trouble shooting problems. Make sure your wiring is correct and fused. I use the biggest wire I have, 12ga, when installing electrical stuff so I don't cheat myself of power.
i just noticed the latest prices. Great Gack! I got mine a few years ago for $100-$125. For a jacket prone to questionable function the new prices are scary. Sometimes my sleeves don't heat as i would like them to.
You should be noticeably warm in a few minutes while riding. You could try bunching it up on the seat at home and see if it gets warm. Stick a meat thermometer inside and see what it do static so you aren't fighting a cold wind when riding around.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My Gerbing if you do not wear a base layer it'll leave red marks on bare skin everywhere a micro-wire is.

I use a on/off toggle switch so its all or nothing. Are you using a Gerbing controller or toggle/rocker switch.

Also the heat is almost instantaneous when I flick the switch. It takes 30 to get to temp.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Purchased a Gerbing 12V Heated Jacket Liner and installed it today. How warm is this jacket supposed to get. Anyone own one that can give me some thoughts on this. Do I need to return it
How loose is it fitting your body? Their website makes a point to say "Firm-fitting patterns and sizing to fit snugly and easily under your outer motorcycle garments". If it isn't snug fitting, put a tight vest or sweater over it and see if it feels different. I don't think they are supposed to heat the air, I think they are to keep you warm via direct body contact -- just don't wear them immediately adjacent to your skin, wear a protective layer in there. Maybe you need a different size. Your heated grips are only hot when your hands are in snugly in contact with them, right?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Via almost direct contact. A long sleeve t-shirt or under armor long sleeve go a long way in making it go from Carolina Reaper to Jalapeno.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. All your input is helpful. I wear a 2.0 UA shirt under the heated liner and top it off with a Klim mid jacket to snug everything up topped off with my Gortex riding jacket. Thought I should be cozy as a bear - Not. The specs say it should get to 130F, but only gets to about 99F (if that) at 100%. Not anything noticeable from heat at that setting. Wired directly to battery with dual wireless controller. I've tried 2 different controllers with the same result. Changed the fuse and double checked all connections. From what I can tell, the jacket is faulty and I will return it this week. I'm glad to hear that I should expect more heat. Hope that I do with the replacement

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Scrap the wireless controller and either get a on/off rocker switch or a wired rheostat type.

You can find the rocker switches on Amazon for about $7.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Scrap the wireless controller and either get a on/off rocker switch or a wired rheostat type.

You can find the rocker switches on Amazon for about $7.
He tried other controllers.

Assuming it is installed properly an paired I never found any difference between wireless and wired controllers and there shouldn't be unless the batteries are dead on the wireless. (And in the case of warm n Safe you would still get 1/3 of the power to the gear if that happened )

Assuming the "other controllers" were hooked up without the wireless receiver inline it sounds like something is defective.

..Tom

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
I got the dual controller for about $100 and use it to run the jacket and the Widder gloves I have. They didn't work well with the gloves plugged into the connections on the sleeve. Separate feeds seems to let it operate as designed.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've had to repair my GFs heated jacket and gloves on multiple occasions due to pinched wires and such. The very first test I always perform is to measure the resistance across the connector plug (so between the center stud and the outer mantle). It should be in the low ohms range, but not zero and not infinite: Approximately 2 Ohms for a 97W/6.4A jacket and approximately 6 Ohms for a 26W/2.2A glove. What do yours read?

·
Vendor
4,726 Posts
OP,

I have an original Gerbing jacket liner from before the hedge fund manager bought the company. I think your assessment is correct. It is defective. Or the new Gerbing (third iteration now) is not of the same quality. Where was it made? China or North Carolina?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talked to Gerbing today. Explained the problem and different things I had tried. I need to send it in to them to repair/replace. Very helpful and said they would expedite considering I do not have a car and the 650Xt is my primary mode of transport year round. 22F for two hours today was bearable. Heated gloves and hand grips were a help. Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP,

I have an original Gerbing jacket liner from before the hedge fund manager bought the company. I think your assessment is correct. It is defective. Or the new Gerbing (third iteration now) is not of the same quality. Where was it made? China or North Carolina?
OP,

It was made in NC. Gerbing agreed it was the jacket and very apologetic that the new jacket did not work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 10 year old Gerbing jacket liner has one lead to the controller/battery. The gloves plug into the sleeves and adjusting the controller changed the jacket and gloves together. I bought a new Gerbing jacket liner last year and tried using it with the same controller up in SD and noticed my hands were warm but my body not so much. This I learned is because the new model jacket has two separate leads; one for jacket and one for gloves (which still plug into sleeves). With my single lead controller I could have warm hands or warm body but not both at the same time. Solution is to either get a dual controller with two leads or get a Y connector/adapter, 2 into 1, which works same as the old system. I was given a Y connector by a fellow traveller (thanks Richard) that he got at Cycle Gear. Apparently Cycle Gear's brand of heated clothing uses the same connectors as Gerbing, which is different from some of the other brands.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good News - Sent jacket to Gerbing. They received it this morning. Fixed the problem, called me this afternoon and returning it tomorrow. Great service and excellent in communications. Best service and communication I've had from any company in years. Think I'm going to buy the gloves once I feel heat from the jacket.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tried my new Garbing heated liner and gloves today. Three hour ride in 30f and didn’t want to stop. Warmer than in a car. Replaced two underlayers I usually wear. I ride year around (sold car 3 years ago) and should have done this earlier. I thought my Highway 21 gloves were warm but replaced them when left hand glove fizzled. The garbing gloves are thinner and overall warmer to hands and especially finger tips. Can’t say enough about riding toasty warm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts