StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to go ahead and keep my V since it didn't sell even though my riding opportunities will be severely limited since I am working out of state 300 miles from home on a construction site for the next few years.

But I will absolutely have to get a new seat. I have narrowed the list to Rick Mayer or Day Long.

For those of you who have one or the other will you give me some feedback on your experiences. I am especially interested in the bad experiences or the ever present; "I wish I had....."

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've had Russell's on three Beemers, a Rick Mayer on a KLR-650 and a Bill Mayer on a C-14. I'd rank them 1) Russell, 2) Rick M., 3) Bill M.

If I had one shot to get a good fitting saddle, of the rebuilders you've selected, I'd go Russell.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I've had Russell's on three Beemers, a Rick Mayer on a KLR-650 and a Bill Mayer on a C-14. I'd rank them 1) Russell, 2) Rick M., 3) Bill M.

If I had one shot to get a good fitting saddle, of the rebuilders you've selected, I'd go Russell.
I would call this conclusive. And while I haven't had any of these except a Russell, I would get a Russell every time.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I have decided to go ahead and keep my V since it didn't sell even though my riding opportunities will be severely limited since I am working out of state 300 miles from home on a construction site for the next few years.
"I wish I had....."
How often will you get back home?
You must be getting days off from work sometimes. :confused:

Ship the bike out there [or better still, ride it there- it's only 300 miles, that's an easy day ride on a Strom]. :fineprint:

If it were me, I'd take the "no sale" as a "hint" to keep the bike and take the opportunity to explore another state. :beatnik:

Then it won't be a case of :furious: "I wish I had....." kept the bike and ridden a new state.

Good luck with the change in work scenery over the coming years, hope all goes well for you. :yesnod:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am heavy (280) 5'10" and have had an OE,a gell, Sargent and a RDL on my K8 WEE. For me the only seat is the RDL! The OE and gell were hot and hurt my butt!!!!!!!!!! The Sargent WS552 was much better and the RDL is great.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I stated, since it did not sell I have decided to keep it. The site conditions right now sorta prevent me from bringing it on site since parking is still being worked out and oftentimes it is a big muddy mess. The job site is just north of Meridian, MS & I live in Euharlee, GA.

I have rode it down here but the P.O.S. stock seat is an absolute ass killer for long highway runs. It darned near brought tears to my eyes it hurt so much.

I do not intend to bring it back down here until I get the seat issue addressed.

Also, I have seen the beaded seat cover thingy's but I have no cluie how it would help. It would seem to me that the underlying seat would have to be comfortable before something is simply plopped down on it. I mean you can put a pillow on a concrete block but your still sitting on a concrete block.

I guess I will take this down time and farkle it out some more.

·
Registered
522 Posts
A Sargent seat is the best off the shelf seat for the stroms, but I love my RDL and won't have anything else between my arse and the motorcycle.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
But I will absolutely have to get a new seat. I have narrowed the list to Rick Mayer or Day Long.[/U][/I]
I think you have your answer.

I sat on a RDL for just a few minutes, it was like getting a butt massage from a couple of supermodels on a Jamaican beach. Based on what I've heard from every single RDL owner I've had a chance to talk to, If I had the $$$ and didn't mind giving up the seat pan for a few weeks I'd jump on it.

Good luck with the new job / project, if there's a need there for a top-notch water feature designer, maybe I'll learn what a 500-mile butt massage feels like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts