StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to Boise this summer for the rally I have four or five days to spend between the western side of Glacier National Park (Libby, MT) and Butte, MT. I'm looking at going north on Highway 93 to Golden, BC, west to Revelstoke and back south to the border via Nelson.

Questions: Is this a ride worth doing? (I've seen the Banff-to-Jasper side of the mountains; this seems to be the other side.) How many days is this going to take me at a leisurely pace? Are there places for me to stay along the way -- I'd like to camp (if safe) or stay in a small motel (if not). What are the highlights I should be looking for? And, tell me how bad the weather can be that time of year.

Thanks and I'll see you in Boise.

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
Great area..book your campsite well ahead of time..and please practice safe campsite food & garbage handling procedures...There are Grizzlies and Black bears as well as mountain lions there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On the way to Boise this summer for the rally I have four or five days to spend between the western side of Glacier National Park (Libby, MT) and Butte, MT. I'm looking at going north on Highway 93 to Golden, BC, west to Revelstoke and back south to the border via Nelson.

Questions: Is this a ride worth doing? (I've seen the Banff-to-Jasper side of the mountains; this seems to be the other side.) How many days is this going to take me at a leisurely pace? Are there places for me to stay along the way -- I'd like to camp (if safe) or stay in a small motel (if not). What are the highlights I should be looking for? And, tell me how bad the weather can be that time of year.

Thanks and I'll see you in Boise.
Hey Chuck,

That ride is absolutely worth doing. They've started promoting riding in that area for the last few years now and it is pretty popular. Here's a website that has more information.

A Rocky Mountain Scenic Drive - International Selkirk Loop

The weather is usually good, summer are typically dry and hot. As for camping, it's pretty sparsely populated so free camping off logging roads is pretty easy. Some campsites can get full but in most towns there are typical options for hotels etc.

I'm now living in Nelson so you are welcome to drop in for beer. As you plan your trip in more detail, feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nakusp on Highway 23

I'm not Canadian but my group stayed a few days at Nakusp. It's south of Revelstroke. Great riding area. There's a hot springs north of town that wasn't too costly for a few hours.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
There's a top Destination Highways ride up in that neck of the woods, absolutely worth checking it out. Coolest place to stay, Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground.

Don't know if the link & pics will work, if not signed on, but if so, a few snaps of Toad Rock:

Nice 3 day spin - WA & BC

Did this loop a couple seasons ago, really enjoyed ourselves:

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
There's a top Destination Highways ride up in that neck of the woods, absolutely worth checking it out. Coolest place to stay, Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground.

Don't know if the link & pics will work, if not signed on, but if so, a few snaps of Toad Rock:

Nice 3 day spin - WA & BC

Did this loop a couple seasons ago, really enjoyed ourselves:

Oh yeah, that would be a sweet ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Chuck,

The route that you are contemplating is absolutley worth doing! The Windemere valley (Cranbrook to Golden) offers some jaw dropping scenery.

There are plenty of services along the way. I'd suggest hunkering down in Radium Hot Springs for the night. There's a couple of nice campgrounds, and an A$$load of motels there (not to mention a world class hot pool to soothe your iron butt). The stretch from Golden to Revelstoke (via Transcanada Hwy.) can be quite busy at that time of year. I'd probably pitch the tent in, or around Revelstoke. Depending on what time you get there you might want to ride the Ferry (always cool), over towards Nakusp, and set up shop there. From that point, it's a pretty leisurley ride south to Nelson/Trail area. Again plenty of camping all around there.

If you are at all on the fence about that circut, don't be. If the weather is decent, you will LOVE it!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Thanks CHIA

I'm planning a ride from Ontario to Vancouver and back in June and July and appreciate the suggestions. I expect to go westbound in the norther US and homebound mostly thru Canada. When I get more organized I'll post a draft route and ask for suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts