StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Verizon account and I'm due for a new phone. I carry a PDA for work that contains Word and PDF files. I'm looking for a Verizon phone that will store both Word and PDF files, but isn't connected to the internet as I have no need for a data package. The Verizon reps all tell me a smart phone is what I'm looking for, but it MUST be connected to the internet in order to get the files loaded into it. That's a $30 monthly expense I shouldn't have to incur just to be able to load Word and PDF files into the device. Once these files are loaded they never change so I don't need to put them in cloud storage and access them remotely, which most likely wouldn't work anyway where I need them.

Can a person hook a smart phone to a USB cable and upload files into it using their desktop computer? I'm thinking Verizon is just pushing their data plan and not really trying to help me solve my problem. Any ideas?

Ronnie

·
Registered
201 Posts
hmmmm, yeah, of course they can be loaded via a usb cable.

but... what they may be trying to say (and somewhat failing) is that there are no plans available for that phone that don't include data. That's my guess, as the smart phones are heavily subsidized by the cell phone companies and they have to make their money back somehow...

·
Super Moderator
4,601 Posts
I have an iPhone that has cellular data is turned off as I'm on a pre-paid plan that is too expensive for data usage. I carry PDF files on this, e.g., my DSLR instruction book and I can access it without a data connection.

Don't forget, you can access the net via WiFi which is what I do with mine. I loaded the files onto my iPhone without using the cellular data connection.

The iPhone isn't on a telco plan. It's owned outright. Ditto with my wife's latest iphone, she bought it outright and unlocked from an Apple store.

You'd need a CDMA phone for Verizon.

OH, I am/was a Verizon user when in the USA but with a different not-smart (CDMA) phone.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have an iPhone that has cellular data is turned off as I'm on a pre-paid plan that is too expensive for data usage. I carry PDF files on this, e.g., my DSLR instruction book and I can access it without a data connection.

Don't forget, you can access the net via WiFi which is what I do with mine. I loaded the files onto my iPhone without using the cellular data connection.

The iPhone isn't on a telco plan. It's owned outright. Ditto with my wife's latest iphone, she bought it outright and unlocked from an Apple store.

You'd need a CDMA phone for Verizon.

OH, I am/was a Verizon user when in the USA but with a different not-smart (CDMA) phone.
So... just so that this info is clear to someone who may not be as well versed...

The 2 (major) cell phone systems, GSM vs CDMA, work very differently in regards to which phone goes on which plan.

GSM (use to be TDMA in this country anyway), used by AT&T, T-Mobile and some of the cheap carriers, only requires you to have a SIM card. You put the SIM card in virtually (but not all, some GSM systems are incompatible) any GSM phone, and you're good to go with that SIMS Plan. As p38arover is doing.

CDMA on the other hand (Sprint, Verizon and some cheaper carriers) don't use SIM cards. The phone has to be put on the plan through the carriers computers, usually by a REP. Some of them allow you to change the phone you're using by putting in the phones ESN on their websites system.

But the point here is this: The CDMA carriers only allow specific phones on specific plans. It's not as simple as taking the SIM and putting it in any phone the way GSM is.

The CDMA carriers restrict the smart phones, usually to quite expensive plans. While some people have found ways around these restrictions, if you're caught, there's a good chance your service will be canceled immediately. And the "work arounds" to make this happen are not simple. I've never done it nor attempted it.

If you have to stay with CDMA (verizon), I'd look for one of the older, semi smartphones, that can read the files you need, but not be one of the newer top shelf "smart" phones. Then there's the chance you can get an affordable plan for it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What you want to do is completely possible IF you buy an 'unlocked' phone, with no subsidies involved. Verizon is perfectly happy to sell you services at any level if you didn't get a subsidy from them for your phone.

Another tack, taken by a friend of mine with an iPhone, is to have *no* cell contract whatsoever, and depend on WiFi networks for connectivity and Skype for phone service.

So, it can be done, but unlocked smartphones are typically over $600 currently.

Hope this helps-

Bob

·
Registered
714 Posts
Jailbreak

Get an iPhone and goto this site:

AppleUnlocker.com| How to Unlock iPhone | Jailbreak iPhone| Jailbreak iPad

For $20 you can jailbreak and unlock the phone. The days of paying $600 are long gone. Once you pay the $20, you can jailbreak as many devices as you want. I've done my phone, my iPad, and both my kids iPod touch's. I'm on AT&T and dont have any data plan. Just use wi-fi when you need to push or pull data. In most places it's free nowadays, including Mc Donald's and Starbucks. Or you can just ninja it from your neighbor who doesn't have a password on his router, like i do.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
You can generally synch files between your phone and computer, but not all phones do this the same way (in some cases, you must buy a separate cable).
My advice is don't ask the cell carrier, but download the manual for the phone you're interested in and see how it synchs files with the computer.

How come you didn't post this in the off-topic section, or better yet in a cell-phone forum?
We're generally very savvy, but there's more to the world than just stromtroopers you know...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Syncing files will not be a problem over wireless. As far as Office goes - only one phone on VZW current lineup does Office natively, and that is HTC Trophy. There are other that do it better or worse but this one has actual MS Office on it and editing is fully compatible. You did not specify what level of compatibility you need.

Your problem will be that VZW requires a data plan on smartphones. Not sure how to get around that. Even if you buy a phone off Ebay, you need to call VZW and ask if they will let you use it with no data plan. Your next step depends on that. If the answer is no, look into VZW resellers, prepaid plans.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Syncing files will not be a problem over wireless. As far as Office goes - only one phone on VZW current lineup does Office natively, and that is HTC Trophy. There are other that do it better or worse but this one has actual MS Office on it and editing is fully compatible. You did not specify what level of compatibility you need.

Your problem will be that VZW requires a data plan on smartphones. Not sure how to get around that. Even if you buy a phone off Ebay, you need to call VZW and ask if they will let you use it with no data plan. Your next step depends on that. If the answer is no, look into VZW resellers, prepaid plans.
That's the point folks. Even if the phone is unlocked and or jail broken (2 different things for those that may not know)... as bigboy points out, you still have to call VZ and get the phone put on the plan.

The phone's ESN is what is used to put it on the plan, and that ESN also identifies what kind of phone it is. VZ will simply tell you "that phone is not accepted on these types of plans".

I'm no expert on what phones go on what plans with VZ, one would have to check with them. And they *may* give people breaks on certain phones, I don't know.

But there's no doubt, specific phones (the newer smartphones) have to be on certain plans. They'll give you the excuse that the phone is very data intensive and "we don't want you to accidentally use data and cost yourself a lot of money"... it's bullshit of course. They just want to get you on an expensive plan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts