StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have successfully installed bar risers without modification on a 2017 650, what brand and size did you use. By "without modification" I mean without adding any new parts other than the risers. What else did you do to accomplish the mission?

Personally, I would like to go up 1.25 to 1.5 inches and back about the same. In viewing the wiring and cable situation, I don't think it can be done.

Yes, I've looked at all of the riser threads and what some have done and what some have planned to do. I would like to have a "success thread" with what worked and, possibly, what didn't.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I used rox 2" pivot risers.
I rerouted everything outside the triple tree and unbolted the clamp from the brake line at the triple tree.
The vertical is not an issue, but pulling them back starts to eat up the slack pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
I rerouted everything outside the triple tree and unbolted the clamp from the brake line at the triple tree.
The vertical is not an issue, but pulling them back starts to eat up the slack pretty quick.
I'm assuming when your risers are pivoted 45degrees back you have 1.5 inches up and back? Is this setting achievable with the Rox and stock cables and hoses?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,264 Posts
I installed the machined 30mm spacers with no issues.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I installed the ones sold on eBay, from Turkey. See picture (not the best, I took it to document my GPS mount). It made a huge difference in seating position/ back comfort. The cables are ok but about as far as one can go without modifications.
You also dropped the front end which makes a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I have the Rox 2" but not 45 degrees back...maybe more like 30-ish degrees. Like Flynn I re-routed all the oem cables and it all fits fine without much play left. Oh, and my front end is not dropped, but the opposite, with the caps even with the tubes. I have read where identical bikes have different issues, so you might just get lucky. The Rox are not a huge investment, so worth a try & I bought the 2" brake line extension, but never installed it... if you are interested in it PM me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
As far as the amount of free play in the cables/wiring/brake lines......people have different standards as to what is a sufficient amount of slack. Some riders are comfortable with "just enough" free play and some need an extra margin of free play to feel safe.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm assuming when your risers are pivoted 45degrees back you have 1.5 inches up and back? Is this setting achievable with the Rox and stock cables and hoses?
No I don't think I was able to get tilt the risers more than 20 or so degrees.
The other factor is how you rotate the bars in the risers.

Just raising the bars moves the grips back some as well.

Oh I forgot, I also moved the master cylinder in a 1/2" or so on the handle bar. Clutch and brake housings are also rotated forward so the levers positioned more for standing. This all adds a little more slack

Now that I think about it, I planned to get cable/brake extensions and move the bars further back, but I got carried away with riding the bike and forgot. Now I'm use to it and it doesnt bother me enough to warrant a high position on list of purchases.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have the Rox 2" but not 45 degrees back...maybe more like 30-ish degrees. Like Flynn I re-routed all the oem cables and it all fits fine without much play left. Oh, and my front end is not dropped, but the opposite, with the caps even with the tubes. I have read where identical bikes have different issues, so you might just get lucky. The Rox are not a huge investment, so worth a try & I bought the 2" brake line extension, but never installed it... if you are interested in it PM me.
May be worth noting that dropping or rising fork tubes through triple clamp makes no difference for cable slack. All cables go the engine or to the triple clamp itself (brake line) so front fork and suspension is not a consideration as far as the riser is concerned. Only check needed for slack is to go full left and right with the handlebar.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You also dropped the front end which makes a huge difference.
This doesn't make any difference.

Sliding the forks up in the triple tree doesn't change the distance the upper brake line travels from the master cylinder to its destination just above the radiator.

Lowering does, however, shorten the length needed for the lower brake line that runs from above the radiator to the right caliper. But, no need to buy shorter lines. Stock length works fine. You'll just have some extra slack.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought the same ones that Hogges bought on eBay. The install was a breeze and it corrected the handle bar reach that my Corbin seat had caused. Absolutely worth the small cost.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
...goes against conventional wisdom tho.
Brake lines on many bikes (w/o ABS) go from the master cylinder down to the caliper. In those cases, sliding the forks up does add to brake line slack because you're moving the master cylinder closer to the caliper. This is not at all the case on our bikes.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
I got 2 pair from a fellow member. One is up 1" and the other set is actually sold for a 1200 GS BMW and comes up an inch and back an inch.
Installed on an '04 and an '05 650, not need for cable fiddling but they are about at the extreme of slack.
I can't see the maker marks and I forget what it was.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought the same ones that Hogges bought on eBay. The install was a breeze and it corrected the handle bar reach that my Corbin seat had caused. Absolutely worth the small cost.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Do you have the sellers info from ebay?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have an old pair of rox risers. spent all afternoon trying to get them into the system and without mods I would not have enough play for my conservative tastes. Bought some risers that went up about 1 inch and back about 1 inch. they fit and worked good but with the stock seat I was sitting absolutely bolt upright. Went with 30 mm risers and they work and fit me best, I like to lean forward just a little bit when riding. YMMV.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I also bought and installed the ones from Turkey. They worked as the others stated, and made the bike much nicer to ride IMO. I left my front brake line anchor loose and will fab a bracket to fix it back. Also moved throttle cables to the rear of the top clamp. The cables are only just long enough. I would prefer them a couple inches longer but I've seen no problems with them as they are.

The ebay item number is 262890691963. Mine arrived in the time promised, and tracking was somewhat accurate. I got a couple of the Suzuki plastic caps for the hex bolt sockets and it looks very original. I'm surprised how much more comfortable it made my bike. DD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts