StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM air filter uses a removeable rubber gasket (to be transferred to the new air filter element when changing out). Using a K&N Air Filter.........this gasket is not required (right??) since the K&N Unit uses a rubber element structure (not hard plastic like OEM) and this structure serves the purpose of the gasket......correct?? I see no way of installing the old rubber gasket onto the K&N element structure..........
thanks

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I do not use a gasket on both my 1st Gen bikes.
Mike

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Yes, that's correct. The K&N doesn't use a gasket. That rubbery cast urethane stuff is pretty darn tough and doesn't seem to take a "set", so this generally works OK. Examine the edges of the filter for signs of damage or dirt entry whenever you're in there.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys...…….I installed the other night w/o a gasket.
Highwayman......there is a rubber one-piece gasket that fits onto the bottom of the filter element...….I believe to be re-used everytime the filter is changed out. I think it is shown on the microfiche diagrams...…..

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thanks Guys...…….I installed the other night w/o a gasket.
Highwayman......there is a rubber one-piece gasket that fits onto the bottom of the filter element...….I believe to be re-used everytime the filter is changed out. I think it is shown on the microfiche diagrams...…..
I see it on the parts page but I don’t remember seeing one when I changed the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts