StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a used Nuvi 765 off of EBay a while back. It worked very well, blue toothed just fine to my Sena headset, but the maps were out dated. So I plugged it into my PC with Garmin Map Manager and downloaded new maps with no issues (I had and SD card plugged into as well). Tried it out on a ride today and had an issue; on secondary roads the moving map showing the road I was riding would disappear, but it knew where it was because the correct road name would be displayed at the top of the screen. When I approached or turned on to major roads everything would work fine. Any ideas??

·
Registered
788 Posts
i bought a used Nuvi 765 off of EBay a while back. It worked very well, blue toothed just fine to my Sena headset, but the maps were out dated. So I plugged it into my PC with Garmin Map Manager and downloaded new maps with no issues (I had and SD card plugged into as well). Tried it out on a ride today and had an issue; on secondary roads the moving map showing the road I was riding would disappear, but it knew where it was because the correct road name would be displayed at the top of the screen. When I approached or turned on to major roads everything would work fine. Any ideas??
I suspect you mean that the road stops showing rather than the moving map disappears.

There is a setting to control the level of map detail. You want more (or maybe maximum) detail.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I've had that happen when a roadway was moved and the map had it in the old place. Was the road new?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suspect you mean that the road stops showing rather than the moving map disappears.

There is a setting to control the level of map detail. You want more (or maybe maximum) detail.
Yes, you are correct, the road stops showing. I tried the Max setting on map detail, no difference.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had that happen when a roadway was moved and the map had it in the old place. Was the road new?
Grey wolf, no the road wasn't new. I have traveled the road many times, no problems with the old map. Today the road disappeared, as did other old secondary roads I was riding.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Are you sure the area you were in was covered by the map update? Typically, you select what parts of the country you want to include in an update. Older units especially don't have enough memory to handle the entire country. To use an SD card for maps, I had to override the stock settings and download the new map to my computer. Then I had to download the map from the computer to the SD card.

It sounds like you only have the base map that just shows Interstates and national highways and don't have the detail map loaded for your area.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I experienced this same thing with a Garmin Nuvi 2455 just the other day. It happened right after I did a map update. Don't know if there is a correlation or not. It wasn't a major road that disappeared.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure the area you were in was covered by the map update? Typically, you select what parts of the country you want to include in an update. Older units especially don't have enough memory to handle the entire country. To use an SD card for maps, I had to override the stock settings and download the new map to my computer. Then I had to download the map from the computer to the SD card.

It sounds like you only have the base map that just shows Interstates and national highways and don't have the detail map loaded for your area.
Greywolf I think you might be on to something. I need to go back into my Garmin Map Manager on the PC and try to figure out what happened in the download process for the new maps. I do recall the program recognizing there was an SD card in the Garmin. I just assumed the maps got installed there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I experienced this same thing with a Garmin Nuvi 2455 just the other day. It happened right after I did a map update. Don't know if there is a correlation or not. It wasn't a major road that disappeared.
So what did you do to try and correct it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had Garmin GPS units start showing incorrect map detail while still appearing to navigate correctly. I cured it with a hard reset. If I recall, I had to power the unit on while touching the upper left corner of the screen. A question came up on the screen asking if I wanted to erase all data. After the unit restarted all my tracks and prefs were gone, but everything worked correctly again. Check Google to see if the procedure is the same for yours.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I noticed this on my older nuvi 255w but its related to speed. If you slow down you notice it will come back. I'm not offering that as a solution, but unfortunately that seems to be the only thing I have noticed that affects it. Like you I swapped mine to maximum detail. My nuvi recently got stuck acquiring a signal so its laying on the floorboard of my truck (got pissed off at it and tossed it there in the middle of some traffic) and I am now in that grey zone of trying to determine if I can make the switch to using the iphone and google maps or if I am still going to have to want to use a dedicated GPS. I've noticed that google maps has gotten good enough to where you can program a trip into it now and use it on the phone as well, which would be nice if it works well since I also like to run Waze and use the phone for music streaming at the same time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed this on my older nuvi 255w but its related to speed. If you slow down you notice it will come back. I'm not offering that as a solution, but unfortunately that seems to be the only thing I have noticed that affects it. Like you I swapped mine to maximum detail. My nuvi recently got stuck acquiring a signal so its laying on the floorboard of my truck (got pissed off at it and tossed it there in the middle of some traffic) and I am now in that grey zone of trying to determine if I can make the switch to using the iphone and google maps or if I am still going to have to want to use a dedicated GPS. I've noticed that google maps has gotten good enough to where you can program a trip into it now and use it on the phone as well, which would be nice if it works well since I also like to run Waze and use the phone for music streaming at the same time.
I will give you my experiences using an iPhone for a GPS. I would recommend an app called Navigon(made by Garmin). It does NOT use data as Google Maps will. It works very well, the only time it can be painful is if you want to build your own routes. I used the Tyre program to do that, it's fairly simple. There is a conversion process that needs to be done however to load it into Navigon. That is where it can get a little tricky.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Miraculously my Nuvi started working today. I guess the last time I was driving I was under something and had enough cloud cover in order to block the gps signal, lol. It's just weird that it took so much time for it to re-establish the signal. I think I just learned that where my apartment is technically blocks some of the signal when I am sitting in the spot in front of my garage/parking area.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There is one well used road in my area that doesn't show up on my Nuvi 765 unless I'm zoomed in farther than I normally have it set. I'm not sure why it is like that but the same thing happens in my wife's 2015 Nissan. The road won't appear unless she's zoomed in pretty close. If you try to use navigation that goes through that area it will guide you around that road onto side streets too, like it isn't even there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is one well used road in my area that doesn't show up on my Nuvi 765 unless I'm zoomed in farther than I normally have it set. I'm not sure why it is like that but the same thing happens in my wife's 2015 Nissan. The road won't appear unless she's zoomed in pretty close. If you try to use navigation that goes through that area it will guide you around that road onto side streets too, like it isn't even there.
I used mine yesterday in the where to mode instead of the navigation mode . A road that previously didn't show up in navigation mode did when using where to. The next question for me is if it will display properly when I build a pre-planned route and load it into the 765. Time will tell I suppose.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have a Nuvi 255W. It is not uncommon for it to not show some roads, even including the one I am currently on, if it is not zoomed in close enough. Which is silly, I think, because while I can understand it not showing every minor secondary, tertiary (and even quaternary) road on the map, as it would clog the display up with too much detail, showing the one I'm currently on seems like a no-brainer. As someone else mentioned, too, the GPS will auto zoom in and out depending on your speed (and its mood, it seems like).

If you're actually following a route, it will typically show more details of the pertinent roads, especially as you approach places where a turn is required. When you're not following a route the GPS has no idea where you're going, so it just defaults to what seem like "reasonable" settings. Most people (driving, with a particular place to go in mind) aren't really interested in seeing the little rinky-dink roads on the map.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Nuvi 255W. It is not uncommon for it to not show some roads, even including the one I am currently on, if it is not zoomed in close enough. Which is silly, I think, because while I can understand it not showing every minor secondary, tertiary (and even quaternary) road on the map, as it would clog the display up with too much detail, showing the one I'm currently on seems like a no-brainer. As someone else mentioned, too, the GPS will auto zoom in and out depending on your speed (and its mood, it seems like).

If you're actually following a route, it will typically show more details of the pertinent roads, especially as you approach places where a turn is required. When you're not following a route the GPS has no idea where you're going, so it just defaults to what seem like "reasonable" settings. Most people (driving, with a particular place to go in mind) aren't really interested in seeing the little rinky-dink roads on the map.
Thanks for the input, that does make sense.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My garmin 1490 LMT does the same thing. As long as the road name is indicated at the top of the screen I don't worry about it.

Brian

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 1490 doesn't connect to my SENA20S headset . I see only a few garmins do , the dedicated motorcycle gps work and the 775 ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts