StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen them on several pictures, and I've seen then talked about, but;

Why crash bars? they to protect the engine?

Is it if the bike falls over really really hard?

Seems to me that anything that crashes (in the real sense) would destroy most of the bike, so protecting the engine seems like.. wasted effort?

Someone should explain the logic behind these (cool looking) bars to me (a newbie owner).

·
Registered
126 Posts
The main benefit is that they protect the (expensive) plastic in the event of a low- or no-speed tipover. They also provde a convenient mounting point for highway pegs, aux lights, air horns, missile launchers, etc.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The main thing they protect on a Strom is the radiator. You can still ride with cosmetic faults but not with a broken radiator and the thing is vulnerable in a stock setup.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The protect the body and the engine in a low speed. They also make the front a bit wider which is useful for pushing buses and lorries out of the way.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Dave1,

First of all, using the term "Crash Bar" has already doomed you to dropping your bike! Very sorry to inform you of that.

The correct connotation is "Engine Guard", which is what they are truly called.

Now, aside from looking very cool, providing mounting points for other accessories and being useful for pushing small bovines out of your path of travel, they will protect your bike from expensive repairs when you drop it and trust me, you will drop it. Or perhaps lie about it!

If you don't think that happens, you might want to take a look Right here.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts

The correct connotation is "Engine Guard", which is what they are truly called.

Now, aside from looking very cool, providing mounting points for other accessories and being useful for pushing small bovines out of your path of travel, they will protect your bike from expensive repairs when you drop it and trust me, you will drop it. Or perhaps lie about it!

+1. My H&B bars are really sturdy, but they'd be pretty well worthless in a crash. They do, save lots of damage in a low-speed tipover--and you will tip it over. When I get a new bike home I'm always tempted to just push it over in the garage just to get it over with ;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
When I get a new bike home I'm always tempted to just push it over in the garage just to get it over with ;)

How so very, very true!

Kind of like the day I was riding shotgun in my neighbor's truck. He is the worst tailgater I've ever ridden with. After about 10 miles of sitting about 5 feet from the vehicle in front of us at 60 mph, I looked at him and said, "Please do me a favor? Either hit him or pass him, but the suspense is killing me!"

·
Registered
216 Posts
The main benefit is that they protect the (expensive) plastic in the event of a low- or no-speed tipover. They also provde a convenient mounting point for highway pegs, aux lights, air horns, missile launchers, etc.
Missile launcher, YES YES missle launchers. Don,t forget machine guns for closer range. Love my weapons.:twisted:

Dann

Have a nice day, unless you planned otherwise...

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Yeah, worth it for the low speed falls. Alas, the DL's are easy to drop.

I havn't done it in town, though it's been close a few times, my drops have been places a DL just shouldn't be - but even so, they'd have been cheaper than the panel repairs.

Peter

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've had my DL650 for 3 years now, and I installed the guards right after I brought it home. My logic was that if I purchased them, I would never use them. It's true so far, and it's been cheap peace of mind.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The Hepco Becker crash bars work well in a crash, don't ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Gently laid the bike down a week after I got it. No crash bars and needed a new signal. Second time with crash bars, complete dead drop at zero speed on concrete. New signal and clutch lever only. Scuffed the bars pretty good but repairable. Hate to think of the damage without the bars, they are after all sacrificial items in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Gently laid the bike down a week after I got it. No crash bars and needed a new signal. Second time with crash bars, complete dead drop at zero speed on concrete. New signal and clutch lever only. Scuffed the bars pretty good but repairable. Hate to think of the damage without the bars, they are after all sacrificial items in the grand scheme of things.
Try Buell turn signals, much cheaper and more flexable.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I will NEVER drop my bike so don't need them :cornut:

(yes...I'm that good!)
Introducing MaxBlack.

Superhero extraodinair. :hurray:

A legend in his own lunchbox.
:biggrinjester:

:green_lol::green_lol::green_lol:

·
Registered
148 Posts
hehe....

(I'll get them as soon as I can afford them)

plus...it's extraordinaire :thumbup:

·
Registered
252 Posts
justification... if there ever was any

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I didn't want to create a redundant one....

I finally got around to purchasing some crashbars after riding the bike for over two years without them (found some Givis on ebay for $75 NIB). I was always pushing my luck with all the dirt riding that I do, but on Saturday night I finally pulled the trigger.

These pictures were taken on Sunday morning LOL:

On Wednesday afternoon, the bars were installed.

All in all the damage was nothing but a few scratches that just add character, but it was an experience in irony nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
By buying those bars, you caused your little tipover then next day - - pretty much how it always does work, eh?

suxx!

·
Registered
288 Posts
My buddy just crashed his Gold Wing at 65 MPH. The crash bars actually worked as crash bars. They were down to about a quarter size after he stopped skidding. There was about 6000 in damage but the bike wasn't totaled.

Not sure how they would work on a vstrom. Obviously there are better crash bars out there...

Paul

1 - 20 of 25 Posts