StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the wife and I had a low speed get-off today. In-fact, it was a no speed get off. We were on a dirt road and the wife was leaning over to look at the side of my Jesse bags to see if a trailer had scraped them. She leaned over too far and I couldn't get any traction on the gravel so over we went.

Now I notice when I have the rpm's up around 4k, then let go of the throttle, they drop to a little less than 1k, and the bike chugs for a minute like it's going to die, then it recovers. Just wondering what this could be,

The bike was only down for less than 30 seconds. Also, today is the first day I put regular unleaded in it instead of premium, so I'm wondering if that might have an effect as well. Anyone know?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Could oil have traveled through the breather hose and soaked your air filter?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could oil have traveled through the breather hose and soaked your air filter?
I don't know. Never been into the air box on this bike. I've heard about that. Is that something that would typically happen after being down for a short time?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The crankcase breather is on the left side. If the bike is dropped on the left it's easiest for oil to migrate from crankcase to airbox. Right side drops with the engine running for a couple of seconds before the tip over switch shuts it down can cause some oil loss but not as much.

You don't need premium. In fact, the altitude in your home area allows lower than 87 octane to work fine. If your engine isn't pinging, premium is a waste of money.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice, it did fall to the left. The bike did shut off before it was all the way over and I had my Jesse bags on so it didn't go all the way, but I'm wondering about oil in that case now. Any info or schematic on best way to remove the tank and investigate? I don't have my service manual with me and have never been in here before.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Here's an excellent description of removing the tank:
Fuel Tank Removal How to, 650 & 1000

There are ways to remove the tank without removing all the plastic, but that's kind'a tricky. You might as well remove all the plastic for the first time. It would be helpful to have a new air filter on hand if your dealer isn't close. If you don't use the filter this time, you'll use it in the future. If the bike is due for spark plugs or a coolant change, this is a good opportunity.

By the way, paid subscriptions to both this forum and V-Strom Riders International (VSRI) are both money very well spent.

·
38,103 Posts
The description of the incident sounds like it would not allow much if any oil transfer. Make sure your hot idle setting is between 1100-1300rpm.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The description of the incident sounds like it would not allow much if any oil transfer. Make sure your hot idle setting is between 1100-1300rpm.
I wonder if that could be it too. I've never had the bike in these temperatures as I bought it in Sept when it was cooling off. We're down in Phoenix for the week where it's a bit hotter. How do I check/ set this?

·
Administrator
18,471 Posts
I wonder if that could be it too. I've never had the bike in these temperatures as I bought it in Sept when it was cooling off. We're down in Phoenix for the week where it's a bit hotter. How do I check/ set this?
You don't even have an owners manual?:confused: When the bike is warmed up, look under the tank near frame on the left side and you will see a phillips head adjustment screw. That is your idle speed adjustment......and you need to get to know your bike.:yesnod:

·
38,103 Posts
Your bike has a tach. Adjust #1 in the pic. Do you have an owner's manual?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your bike has a tach. Adjust #1 in the pic. Do you have an owner's manual?
No owners manual, bought the bike used. I do have a service manual, but it's not with me on vacation.

So I assume to let the bike warm-up to normal operating temperature, then adjust this screw? It still seems to be idling normally, just drops really low right after letting off the throttle, but will pickup and resume idling normally within a couple seconds.

·
Administrator
18,471 Posts
No owners manual, bought the bike used. I do have a service manual, but it's not with me on vacation.

So I assume to let the bike warm-up to normal operating temperature, then adjust this screw? It still seems to be idling normally, just drops really low right after letting off the throttle, but will pickup and resume idling normally within a couple seconds.
Where is the idle set at when warmed up, and it also sounds like the throttle cables need to be adjusted? Get yourself an owners manual, sounds like you need it.:fineprint:

·
38,103 Posts
There should be a spot in the 1100-1300rpm range that will hold the proper setting under all conditions. Too low and the idle will sometimes drop below 1100. Too high and it will hang at 2500 on the way down. If it drops below 1000 and stalls when hot unless you set the idle so high it hangs, the throttle position sensor may need to be replaced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts