StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to purchase a DL1000 in the next few months, as it seems like the best sort of touring bike for me. I currently own a 2008 Yamaha XT250 and just got rid of my Suzuki DR650 which I had for a few years. The Yamaha is great for weekend off road fun and commuting to work 4 miles a day, but I want a big touring bike that I can do hundreds of miles a day on in comfort. My DR650 had awful highway comfort...the seat being the main problem, followed closely by fighting the wind. As I mentioned, the DL1000 would be my first choice, but I have some pretty tight monetary constraints when it comes to buying another motorcycle, and the 650 can be had for a great price (well they both are at a great price, but the 650 is easier to buy...pricewise).

It seems like there are plenty of aftermarket or windscreen modifications for both the 1000 and the 650, but I don't hear many comments regarding the wind around the leg areas. On my DR650, while traveling on the freeway, the wind would "grab" my knees/thighs and I would have to fight to keep them "closed" around the tank. Is this an issue on either the 650 or the 1000 V-Strom? It sounds like the power on the 650 V-Strom is still very acceptable, but it seems like there is less "bike" around the leg area. For long distance rides, power of the engine not withstanding, is there really any difference between the 650 and 1000 V-Strom's with regards to wind fatigue?

I want the 1000, but the 650 owners sure seem to love their bikes and there doesn't seem to be many who regret not having the 1000. I like the price of course and I will be only riding 1 up for the most part, so the 650 would probably work for me most likely but I don't want to sacrifice any long distance comfort that the 1000 might have over the 650.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I want the 1000...

Thanks for any advice!
Then get the 1000. Spend the extra and avoid wondering if you really should have gone ahead and gotten the 1k every time you ride. Just because it'll go 140 doesn't mean you have to go that fast.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've never noticed the wind trying to separate my knees from the tank on the DL650, even at 140kph...

I'm more than happy with my 650... especially after the spin around on a Ninja 250.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Buy the 650 and outfit it with the gear you want. It'll probably cost you less than a 1000 without any gear.

I can (and do) ride all day on the 650 at 85mph.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Oh goody, I wondered where the weekly 650 vs. 1000 debate was.

No, the wind won't blow your knees apart. The DL's don't have the best lower body wind protection, they don't have a full fairing either, but they do provide some.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I noticed the wind blowing my knees out on my SV and it really became irritating after awhile. No issues on the wee. I don't have to make any effort to keep my knees against the tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, and sorry if I created a 650 vs. 1000 debate! Both bikes seem fine, and each owner seems to love their choice just fine. Glad to hear that wind isn't much of an issue. Now, I just have to decide which one!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts