StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching to find some feedback on this but didn't have much luck finding the specifics I was looking for...some background first...

A couple weeks ago, I went on a week long ride around Lake Michigan. However, thanks to the storms from Gustav, I ended up having to shred it down from Indian River, MI to Cincinnati, Ohio in a day. It ended up being a 500+ mile day for me...about 10 hours in the saddle. Good news was that I dodged almost every drop of rain. The bad news....OUCH! I can't believe how unbelievably painful that was. Basically, I felt like like someone dropped kicked me in the crotch as hard as they could. I'm not sitting so far forward on the seat to the point that I'm crushing anything. It's the same type of pain I've had from riding a regular bicycle for a long time.

I've already had the seat modified and that helped out completely for regular riding days. However, on this trip, I had to stop every 100 miles before things got too bad. (maybe that's a lot anyways? I didn't think so beforehand.)

So the question really is: Are the sheep skin pads simply going to help only with reducing saddle sore/butt pain? I didn't really have too much of that.

I just don't want to buy one of these pads just to find that its mainly for solving a different problem. I have another long trip planned with some friends in a couple weeks so I don't have too much time to do much trial and error with a fix.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I own one and it won't help your problem. I've tried just about everything, if I would have just spent the money up front and bought a good seat I would have saved a ton.
Corbin is on order, hope to get it soon. The Suzuki gel will be for sale.
Kyle

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yeah, I don't think the sheepskin is going to help you.

I wonder if some handlebar risers would help tip you to a different angle where you won't be sitting on your junk?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I own one and it won't help your problem. I've tried just about everything, if I would have just spent the money up front and bought a good seat I would have saved a ton.
Corbin is on order, hope to get it soon. The Suzuki gel will be for sale.
Kyle
One of the reasons I didn't go with the Corbin was I heard it was pretty stiff. Thought that didn't sound very appealing for spending a few hundred $$$. Definitely will be interested to hear what you think of the new seat!

·
Registered
256 Posts
One of the reasons I didn't go with the Corbin was I heard it was pretty stiff. Thought that didn't sound very appealing for spending a few hundred $$$. Definitely will be interested to hear what you think of the new seat!
I guess it is a matter of personal preference but I have found that a firm motorcycle seat helps me extend the length of my riding day without suffering. At least I found that to be the case when I replaced a soft stock Kawasaki seat with a very stiff Mustang seat on the Vulcan cruiser I used to own.

Back to your question on the Alaska Leather pad, I have one and found that its primary benefit was to provide a bit of cooling buffer between me and the stock V-Strom seat. I rode five back-to-back 10 hour plus days on a trip this summer with the stock seat and the Alaska pad. By day 2 I would find myself a bit sore by the end of the 8th hour or so but I really didn't have any big complaints with the stock seat. The Alaska pad did its job of keeping me cool enough to avoid monkey butt.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
The Corbins are stiff, by design. Maybe a little too much, but a seat that's too soft is horrible. I love mine, but it's much better with the sheepskin on it.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I have an AlaskaLeather sheepskin & on the stock seat, it helped a little but I couldn't do a long ride on it. I put it on my gel seat & it's great, though I needed lowering links to flatfoot again.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I just got a beadrider seat cover (www.beadrider.com) I haven't ridden with it much yet as I bought it for a long ride I'm planning for next year.

FYI you can "earn" a beadrider seat cover. You have to email them with the ride plan for your epic ride and if they agree they will refund your money after you deliver them an unphotoshopped picture of you at your destination with your seat cover in evidence.

The little bit I've used it I've found that I like it better than the sheepskin, it's easier to move around on and feels firmer than the stock seat.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
I love my Suzuki gel/alaskaleather combo....the best bang for the buck "for me".

·
Registered
216 Posts
So the question really is: Are the sheep skin pads simply going to help only with reducing saddle sore/butt pain? .
The Alaskan but pad is a piece of sheepskin. Just some leather with the hair still on.
It allows some ait circulation while riding and is a LOT cooler to sit on if the bikes been in the sun all day.

.... but no padding

·
Boy talks too much....
587 Posts
Didnt do much for me either. Its a little easier to scoot around on the seat and it does keep me a bit cooler, but I think Im going to have to dive in and get the Corbin. I think maybe my butt's just worn out. I can only go 60-80 miles before I have to get off the seat. Riding standing up for a mile or two certainly helps but it sure doesnt fix it. I just dont remember any motorcycle seat ever being this uncomfortable in such a short period of time.:mad5:

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I have the Alaska Sheepskin AND the BeadRider on there, and my butt/crotch still scream after about 45 minutes. I've tried them separately, together (one on top of the other, then the other one on top of the first one), and it still makes no difference. Then I read about guys doing 5-600 mile days one after the other, with the stock seat. :( I guess I'm just a sissy... :sad1:

I remember my bikes back in the 70's/80's (CB750, various GS's) all had a flat seat, not like the stepped seats everything has today, it seems. You could slide back and forth every so often to get more comfortable. I did more than a few 3-400 mile days with zero problems. 'Course, I was a bit younger then.... :D

I just dont remember any motorcycle seat ever being this uncomfortable in such a short period of time.
If you ever rode an SV1000, you would. Think 2x8 plank, tilted about 30 degrees forward, and footpegs about 2" rear and 2" higher than the 'Strom's - so your crotch'al area was what you were sitting on to start. Each bump you hit wedged the boys further into the tank. 20-30 minutes was the most I could handle. When I traded it on the 'Strom, it was one of the happier moments of my motorcycling life. I do miss the SV's performance, tho... :(

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
My personal opinion, after going through many seats and seat mods is that the best seat mods are those that go under the seat cover and become part of the seat, rather than something you put on top of the seat. I have an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad on top of one of those Wal-Mart pads that look like a waffle, on top of a Sargent seat. The combination is OK, but that's about it. Just OK.

I am seriously considering a Russell seat with the velour seating surface. I had one like that on a Gold Wing, and it was certainly cooler when it was hot out, and warmer when it was cold. The material they use is pretty much water proof, or at least water resistant, and it can always be scotch guarded to enhance it's water resistance. The seat, being truly custom made to fit you in all ways, should eliminate the need for any other enhancements such as pads, beads, etc.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I posted early in this thread about the sheepskin, since, I've purchased a corbin seat. I have about twelve hundred miles on it now, It's changed my ride completely, no more pain, I love it. If I had to do it all over again I would have had a Russel made and would have save a ton.
Kyle

·
Registered
984 Posts
Ouch

I think everyone's physiogomy is different "down there" and of course everyone is in a different state of physical conditioning. Some people do fine with the stock seat but for me its a bit uncomfortable. I started out with the Alaska Leather but pad on my Bandit 1200 and transferred it to the Strom with good results. The bead rider was great with riding overpants that allowed me to scoot around on and massage my butt but I don't like it at all with jeans on. Now I'm using the gel pad I bought for the Bandit that was the most uncomfortable thing I'd ever sat on on that bike. It works just fine on the Strom though (?). I'll continue to use it for the rest of the season but am planning to send the seat out to that guy in Florida this winter for modification.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
For numbness in the area in question type of UNDERWEAR can cause the problem. LD Comfort underwear used with a Alaska butt pad on a standard V seat is good for 500 plus mile days for me.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
For numbness in the area in question type of UNDERWEAR can cause the problem. LD Comfort underwear used with a Alaska butt pad on a standard V seat is good for 500 plus mile days for me.

+1!!!! I wear MEN'S biking shorts on longer rides. Those, in conjuction with my Alaska Leather pad, can easily give me 5-6 hours of ride time with no real discomfort. There is certainly NO lasting discomfort the next day.

I put MEN'S in all caps to stress that you need to invest in some quality bike shorts that are not unisex. The men's shorts have pads that are contoured to protect not only your butt, but also your masculine equipment. Unisex bike shorts will acutally be worse than no bike shorts at all!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a sheepskin pad. Its better than the Wee stock seat which for me is horrible. Easily good for a 350 mile day, but tends to start to hurt more the next day. Purchased the Airhawk this year and I absolutely love it. Just got back from 2000 mile trip in one week. Absolutely NO sore butt problems. Today was a long day as I was fighting a terrible west Texas Wind. I just stayed in the saddle except for a few drink stops and one gas stop in 360 miles. My last stretch was 120 miles without stopping. Butt was just a little sore but nothing that getting off the bike for 2 minutes didn't take away.
Greystrom

·
not very quiet
289 Posts
I did a 2770mi ride in September, drawn out over 10 days. The last day was 650 miles. I have a DL650 with the Suzuki Gel seat and the ABP. Many of the days I rode with a pair of Carhart knock-off bib overals (from Tractor Supply Company) what are insulated, so that added some padding.

The problem with the butt pad was that as my boney ass nestled down into the wool, the not-so-boney areas got more pressure on them. I flipped the pad over for a bit, but by then the boney parts were too sore to make much difference. I need the seat to spread the weight out over a greater area so as not to have concentrated (pelvic) pressure points, but also to allow my privates some room to breath. The sheepskin wasn't the answer, though it is nice for shorter rides and hot days.

The combination I have is still pretty good, and if my days are limited to 400 miles or so, (or the time-in-saddle equivalent) it's fine. But if I plan any more extreme rides, I'll want to check out other products. Maybe that airhawk is the word.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts

Ditto. I've got the stock DL650 seat, with Alaska Leather Butt Pad and wear LD Comfort riding shorts (long sleeved shirts, too). Some Butt lube (don't remember the brand, but it's from REI) also helps, but I don't need to use it all the time. 5,000 miles from Michigan to Colorado and back in 18 days including a couple of 500-600 miles days, with zero problems with the posterior area. A bit of numbness in the hands from the slight vibes, but no problems whatsoever with the butt.

apparently, everyone's a bit different in this area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts