StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new chain and sprocket set, and while I asked for a stock replacement, the dealer unintentionally put on a different gearing ratio (I believe he went one tooth down in front, and one tooth up in rear)

The thing is, I really like the way the bike handles now - and I have already ordered a speedohealer with the intention of keeping this new arrangement.

My question is, can anyone with experience in changing their gearing ratios post exactly what the difference is in handling/mpg/torque etc. for different gear ratios? say in the form of:

stock xx/ stock xx = stock performance
new xx/ new xx = smoother/rougher more powerful/less powerful better/worse mileage etc?
xx/xx = etc.
xx/xx = etc.

Im looking for info on as many combos as possible, as now that Im getting a speedohealer anyway, i might as well look for a gearing combo that matches my riding style

If theres already a link out there for this, please post that.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Front Sprocket Change

About 2,000 ago I went from a OEM sprocket (15 tooth) to a 16 tooth on my DL650. No change to the rear.

These are the changes that I did or did not notice: 1) Lower RPM's which gave me a quieter ride, 2) No noticeable change in mpg, 3) Must slip the clutch if I want to go less than 8 mph in first gear, 4) Maybe longer engine life.

I mention longer engine life because I installed a +1 tooth counter sprocket in my 1974 Kawasaki Z900 32 years ago and after 116,000 miles, my compression is still within specification. Of course, changing the oil + filter every 3,000 miles is probably the major contributor to that achievement.

Gary

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
They Lowered your gear ratio. That means you're spinning MORE RPMS on the freeway. If my dealer did that I would be upset. I've heard of folks doing that, but only if they are going Offroad more than usual.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,113 Posts
Maybe you want to try http://www.gearingcommander.com/... It will tell you what you want to know, but just won't give you the seat-of-the-pants feel for the various ratios.

17/41 is OEM standard on a Vee; 17/43 is a common lowered ratio; Dirt Dad recently went even lower to 16/43 so he could realign his upper spine on command of his right hand. His experience is documented in his still active thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts