StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 wee & i really want some bags, can't really afford hard panniers for it yet, but I found some pretty cool Tourmaster Courtech tri-bags for around $125 for the 3 bag set, anyone have any experience with these? Or maybe recommend something they have used that works really well with our bikes? Here's what the bags looks like that I'm looking at.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I have an 04 wee & i really want some bags, can't really afford hard panniers for it yet, but I found some pretty cool Tourmaster Courtech tri-bags for around $125 for the 3 bag set, anyone have any experience with these? Or maybe recommend something they have used that works really well with our bikes? Here's what the bags looks like that I'm looking at.
I've seen and used those; they're ok, but won't last terribly long.

If you can spend a bit more money, one compromise might be to get a versatile hard-luggage rack (I hear the SW Motech racks can be adapted to several brands of panniers), and then mount soft bags on them for now until you can afford hard ones. If you're a bicyclist, and happen to already have a set of Ortleib bags, you could even use those. I actually strapped a set of those to my pillion seat for my first road trip before I had hard bags or racks at all.

Good luck ... -d

·
Boy talks too much....
587 Posts
I have a set of those. I bought them when I got my 02 dl1000. Im still using them 50k later on my 07. Quality is great and cant beat the price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the replies, I appreciate any & all input, I've heard of ortlieb stuff before, haven't seen any of it in person though. I'm gonna check into those also.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Nelson Riggs makes some good stuff as well. Might be worth a look.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I've got that large Cortech tailbag and don't like it at all by itself. It may be OK with the side bags, I never tried it even though I have them. By itself it sags over the turn signals because there is nothing to keep it stiff. I finally put a piece of plywood in the bottom to stiffen it and that helped but didn't completely solve the problem. I finally solved the problem completely by throwing it in a corner and getting a Nelson-Rigg tailbag.

I like the side bags although they don't hold a great deal. Enough for a couple of days though. I also like the small Cortech tail bag, I just don't like the large one.

If I had it all to do over again I'd go with Nelson-Rigg any day. Theirs are about the same size as the Cortech but, in my opinion, better quality.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Just put some Nelson Riggs CL850's on this week. I think it was a great value and they look pretty nice. If I ever get into heavy adventure riding to where I go on week long trips, etc., I will move up to hard cases, but I think this will fit the bill nice with my hard trunk, tool tube and tank bag.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am using DirtBagz on my wee. I was using ortliebs, but they are very small, they will scratch up all your plastic and rails, and you must have something on the left side of a wee to keep the bag from going into the wheel.

Hard bags = very bad off road, especially if you need to put your leg down for anything, it will get caught up in the case.

Hard Bags = great on road if you never ever lay the bike down. Good security

Soft bags = great all around. Zip Lock large bags will keep everything dry. No security. Get a plastic top case for securing valuables (even though a topbox can be ripped off with a good heave).

Ortliebs with a left side rail $200+
DirtBagz with mounts $255

And you can use the DirtBagz on your other bikes.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hard bags = very bad off road, especially if you need to put your leg down for anything, it will get caught up in the case.
Could you elaborate on that? I can't picture the problem. (Maybe because my idea of "off road" is the grassy area in front of my house. :) )

Hard Bags = great on road if you never ever lay the bike down. Good security
Get a plastic top case for securing valuables (even though a topbox can be ripped off with a good heave).
Hard case security ... depends. Tough as the Touratechs are, if you're using their locks, it would only take a screwdriver to pop them. You could, however, add padlocks to those, which would be worlds better and would prevent the screwdriver approach. And any plastic case, of course, is just a deterrent; they're easy to get into or remove with force.

Just sayin'...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey thanks for the great info you guys, I was mainly looking at these cause they were for sale pretty cheap cause their used, I priced the tri bag setup at moto superstore & it would have been $230 new, I figure it will get me by until I step up & buy nicer stuff, plus just having some luggage now will allow me to go do more stuff with the bike & see what I like & don't like about the soft bags, I do like the way those Nelson Riggs bags look on your bike, they seem to hold their shape real well like, I guess now I need to figure out the way to hold that left bag out in & space it the same as the exhaust side, I see allot of you have that very cool tool tube thing, I better start searching for the info on that now. (Does this farkling thing ever end?)

·
Registered
137 Posts
in deep sand or mud when you have to duck walk your bike, or just low speed lay downs. soft bags will give. hard cases won't
No way! It's quite the opposite! I laid down my bike 3 times on low speed with pair of Nelson-Rigg 850 - not a scratch! 2 times off-road (sand, mud and gravel) and 1 time on road. Alum panniers would be at least all scratched up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hey Spock, I think he meant in the event that your bike gets squirly, & you have to put a foot down, that hard case "could" pin your foot under the bike or under the case it's self, whereas a soft bag would "give" which would prevent any injury. I know of case's where in deep mud a guy put his foot down & it got kinda stuck & his forward motion pinned his foot under his hard pannier & broke his foot, it's very rare I know, but it has happened.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey Spock, I think he meant in the event that your bike gets squirly, & you have to put a foot down, that hard case "could" pin your foot under the bike or under the case it's self, whereas a soft bag would "give" which would prevent any injury. I know of case's where in deep mud a guy out his foot down & it got kinda stuck & how forward motion pinned his foot under his hard pannier & broke his foot, it's very rare I know, but it has happened.
I see. Sorry for misunderstanding. But my point is that in event of low speed spill soft bags protect you bike pretty well and there won't be any damage to the bags.

As for the trapped leg, I have it last time I laid it down. It was on the left side, my left foot got trapped in between the bag and the passenger peg. If I were alone I'd have a real trouble getting out. But that situation could be worse with hard cases, because the soft bag cushioned the weigh of the bike partially laying on my foot.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hey Spock, I think he meant in the event that your bike gets squirly, & you have to put a foot down, that hard case "could" pin your foot under the bike or under the case it's self, whereas a soft bag would "give" which would prevent any injury. I know of case's where in deep mud a guy put his foot down & it got kinda stuck & his forward motion pinned his foot under his hard pannier & broke his foot, it's very rare I know, but it has happened.
I suppose it's possible, but it still sounds to me like it belongs in the same bucket as "if I wear a seatbelt, I might get trapped in the car when I go off a bridge" -- i.e., a rare scenario that's not worth worrying about. I'd guess (just guessing) that it's more likely that a hard bag will protect that leg by creating an air gap between the bike and the pavement when you crash.

All speculation, of course, without statistics -- which we ain't gonna get for something like this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts