StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got some soft saddlebags but unfortunately they will be resting on my Leo Vince exhausts, which get really hot while riding. In researching options to keep them off the exhaust, my fiance suggested cutting and fitting some of that silicone bakeware stuff and attaching it to the part of the bag that will be resting on the pipes. I think it's a great idea but am not knowledgable enough about silicone to know if it will effectively keep the heat from coming through. Any silicone experts out there?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmmm

That stuff may work. All you need to do is to check out the specs. I believe they are good for several hundred deg.

You could probably use some aluminized tape that they use to insulate different parts of vehicles (exhaust as an example). It usually has a sticky side. Stick it to you bags with aluminum side facing muffler. If one layer won't do it try 2.

Another alternative is sw-motech "universal" (www.sw-motech.com) side mounting kits that should allow you mount almost any (popular) case you wanted to.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I think if you could make some type of aluminum bracket to stand off the exhaust you would be better off. I have seen some at other sites that looked good. Then you have the airspace to faciliate keeping everything cool.
If you choose the bakeware idea, try a high temp RTV silicon, (I think they have black, but seem to remmeber seeing allot of funk off red colors for this app.) perhaps a header or exhaust type from permatex, then apply to both sides, the bake ware and the bag. First use the backing you have from the bakeware as a template. Using some type of delible marker, draw the outline or pattern onto the bag contact area, then clean the bag throughly with Cotol http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16454&cat=401&page=1
or perhaps rubbing alcohol, depending on what they are made of. I am assuming denier. Then use a short brissle stiff nylon brush work the ATV into the denier, apply another portion to the Bakeware, then put it ont the bag, maintain pressure for a period of time with soemthing like a large book.

My spelling sucks, i am sorry and thank all of you for not hammering me. I get ahead of myself and never learned to type. If you only knew what i did to make a living. After reading this post, I am starting to think I am dislexic at times. And I am sick of the edit button! Old age perhaps? To relient on spell check...perhaps...but you will know when I slept at the holiday inn express, it just wasn't last night :)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Air is a good insulator. It's light and cheap.

I think the idea of an air gap is excellent. After all, Mrs. Suzuki installed two of them there when she built your DL1000.

If you still have those stock plastic shields, and can fasten them to the new mufflers, I think you will have a winner. In my opinion, those shields are made to get scuffed. They are a cinch to repaint.

I understand the left ones are a bitch to remove and install, but I don't have one of those.

Keith

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the exact same problem! I just bought some Nelson-Riggs bags but I have a Staintune pipe on my bike with no heat shield.

If you come up with a relatively cheap solution, please let me know.

I'm going to try and make a stand-off with some scrap aluminum from the metal shop here at work. If that works well, I'll take some pics and show you what I come up with.

Brian

·
Registered
646 Posts
I recently got some soft saddlebags but unfortunately they will be resting on my Leo Vince exhausts, which get really hot while riding. In researching options to keep them off the exhaust, my fiance suggested cutting and fitting some of that silicone bakeware stuff and attaching it to the part of the bag that will be resting on the pipes. I think it's a great idea but am not knowledgable enough about silicone to know if it will effectively keep the heat from coming through. Any silicone experts out there?
Here's a solution that NoVa-strom came up with. Granted, it's on one side of a 6fiddy, but you get the idea...

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10019&highlight=soft+luggage

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wee-Willie,

That is pretty much what I'm going to attempt.

BigTallGuy,

The only problem I could see with the silicone idea would be that if you have silicone in contact with heat, it will heat up. It won't melt, but it may get hot enough to melt the soft bag. I don't know how hot it will get, but from experience with a silicone oven mitt, if you hold on to a hot pan for a while, the mitt gets HOT!

Brian

·
Registered
646 Posts
Oh Yeah, before Heavy says it, "Use the Search fuction at the top of the page". The link you see above was the the result of a "Show Posts" for "Soft Luggage".
No Hostility meant... Search is your friend!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I searched but am trying to come up with something that will be easily removable (without tools) since I won't ride with the bags on all the time. I had another idea of putting together some type of clamp to mount on the passenger hand holds with some aluminum or something going down over the pipes from there. I gotta go to the hardware store and browse.....

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Heat-Tile-Kits-p-19089.html

That stuff looks like it should work. The muffler aisle of your local Pep Boys or NAPA might have something similar.

The thought occurs to me that, if you were able to re-attach your stock heatshields, you could line the inside of them with this sort of stuff, and put some of that silicone on the inside of your luggage. No problems, ever. I think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wee-Willie,

I did search every V-Strom site I could find. The problem is that the method(s) that I have found are just for the left side support for the 650's. Nothing I have found addresses an aftermarket pipe without a heat shield like the ones that bigtallguy and I have.
If you happen to know of a thread or site that addresses this issue, please let me know because I have missed it in my searches. :)

Brian

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would the heat tile be something that would rest directly on the muffler and not cause any scratches? Might be more convenient to just slap that stuff on and go. But...

I made a trip to Lowes today and picked up some clamps, bungee cords (rubber ones), wing nuts, and a piece of steel. I have taken the clamps and put pieces of the bungee cord along the inside to keep it from scratching the paint, and fitted them to the passenger grab bar. Tomorrow I have to cut down the steel and attach it to the clamp (got JB weld too). Then it looks like I can attach/unattach the supports quickly and they look like they should provide the needed support. They probably won't be that pretty but these are not meant to stay on the bike without saddlebags over them. More tomorrow.........

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Oh Yeah, before Heavy says it, "Use the Search fuction at the top of the page"....
Thanks for the recognition but I've given up. Everyone gets so whiney, bitchy when I suggest using the search function. Now I breeze past 90% of the threads with topics that have been hashed and rehashed dozens of times. Side benefit is that I've significantly cut the time I spend on this board. Really glad I found the "Mark this forum read" button. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thanks for the recognition but I've given up. Everyone gets so whiney, bitchy when I suggest using the search function. Now I breeze past 90% of the threads with topics that have been hashed and rehashed dozens of times. Side benefit is that I've significantly cut the time I spend on this board. Really glad I found the "Mark this forum read" button. :rolleyes:
Thank you also for the recognition! I have noticed the repetition in the threads and I believe that some are using search because there have been threads dug up from two years ago. (nice run-on sentence) I find that if it is a topic that has been beat to death (breakin, oil filters, chain lube, etc...) I don't even bother reading any part of it anymore (although I do love to use the attachment posted below when I do open them). Don't give up the cause Heavy, your guidance is an asset to the forum.
Willie

edit: Oh and how could I forget the windshield/buffeting issues/debate...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can appreciate the irritation that comes with people that are too lazy to search. However, you have to keep in mind that not everyone is good at searching. Some people just don't get how key word searches work. My point is that some of the people that get jumped on for "not searching" have searched...just not very well!

Also keep in mind that some people find it just as annoying when threads get hijacked to talk about people not searching as when people don't search. ;)

Me, I just ignore the threads that keep beating the dead horse. If I'm really bored I'll put up the links to the search pages for them...

Back on topic....

Bigtallguy,

The bungie cord and hose clamps is a great idea! I'm going to give that a try. I'll try and get my metal shop guy to fabricate me a stainless shield that I can attach to the hose clamps. You sir are a genius...or something. ;)

Brian

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a lot done today. Cut some steel and rounded the corners, then cut the bolts down, drilled a hole in the steel and mounted it up for a quick test.

This is the "clamp" I used. Just the bottom part.

Here is the clamp with the bungee cord in it. Had to bend the clamp a little so the holes lined up straight.

Hanging on the bike. I think it will look better when I'm all done. I decided to paint it all black, and the JB weld should help hold everything straight. When I get it right it should go more diagnally back, not as straight down as it is now.

I need to bend the clamp some more so it makes better contact with the bar, but you get the general idea.

I will post more pics of the finished product when I get it done.

A friend of mine was helping and he insisted that I show you all his idea. Just a clamp on the steel to the passenger foot peg, the diagnally up over the pipe. I think it brings the bag too far out but it could be made to work. Kinda reminds me of what the weestrom guys are doing.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Here's what I came up with for shielding the hot exhaust on the right side.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts