StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been messing around with the Rever navigation app, and installed it on an older Motorola cell phone that I planned on using as a backup GPS. The phone isn't active and doesn't have data.

The other day I went for a ride, and was running the same .gpx route on Rever on two different phones to see if they behaved the same way. One was my current active phone, and the other was the inactive one. I was viewing both routes as a track, and not turn-by-turn. I noted that on the inactive phone, the route didn't display the same as the one on the active phone. On the active phone, the route would zoom in closer when approaching a turn in direction, while on the inactive phone it maintained the same far out view regardless of any changes in the route. I also noticed that the names on the roads that were visible on the active phone weren't visible on the inactive one. This lead me to believe that the Rever app requires a data connection in order to be fully functional, much like Google maps used to be before they featured off line mapping. Can anyone confirm this about the Rever app? I didn't see anywhere on the app about downloading off line maps (the way you can with OSMand). If it requires a data connection, it's going to make Rever kind of useless to me as an app on an inactive phone.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’m not sure about active vs non-active phone service, but I have used the app a few times for routing rides. You can go to the website and plan a route and then send it to your phone. It has worked well so far. I got irritated with Google Maps because it wouldn’t save the selected route when I sent it to my phone, it reverted back to the fastest routing. You can probably go to the REVER website and send a message with your questions there.
Didn’t really answer your question but just wanted to share my experience with the app so far.
JP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,517 Posts
There is a very active thread on ADVrider that deal with Butler Maps and rever. An employee (owner maybe?) Is active in the threa and likely knows the answer.

..Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts