StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry - not really related to V-Strom, but it is part of my Stromputer project.

I need to cover and insulate the top part of an enclosure, and was thinking of using a clear plastic/acrylic sheet like this one:

Amazon.com: Clear Plastic Sheet .015,9 x 12"(3): Toys & Games

This is my enclosure:

So a few questions:
1. What sheet thickness would be adequate? 0.03'' or 0.015''?
2. I'm thinking of painting the clear sheet with a frame around the LCD opening with black paint, but leave the center part above the LCD clear. Can I paint that sheet with a black spray? Will the paint stick? Maybe I need to sand that plastic first? The middle "LCD Window" will be masked with some painter mask to avoid scratching and painting during sanding and spraying. Does it make sense?

·
Registered
555 Posts
When I used to race RC cars they used a clear "plastic" body that was always painted on the inside. I suspect the plastic used in the bodies is different than what you are using and it allowed for a more shiny appearance. However, it (we always referred to it as "lexan(r)" some polycarbonate I recall) generally required "special" paints available at hobby shops but many discovered we could use Auto Air colors that stuck fine even with the pounding and smashing that happens during racing. There are a few others that folks used.

Testors

Parma Faskolor Many believe this is repackaged AutoAir

Good luck with the project in any case...make it stylin!!

Rick

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I used to race RC cars they used a clear "plastic" body that was always painted on the inside. I suspect the plastic used in the bodies is different than what you are using and it allowed for a more shiny appearance. However, it (we always referred to it as "lexan(r)" some polycarbonate I recall) generally required "special" paints available at hobby shops but many discovered we could use Auto Air colors that stuck fine even with the pounding and smashing that happens during racing. There are a few others that folks used.

Testors

Parma Faskolor Many believe this is repackaged AutoAir

Good luck with the project in any case...make it stylin!!

Rick
Hi Rick,
Looks great! Also quite cheap.

Do you think that these sprays will cling/attach properly to acrylic plastic, assuming I sand the acrylic surface first? The acrylic surface is very smooth.
Similarly, do you think a black Rostoleum spray will attach? (The one used for painting grills)

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Rustoleum makes a line of spray paint specifically for plastics.
"For use on: polypropylene, polystyrene, resin, PVC, fiberglass, and vinyl plastics such as chairs, tables, and planters."

Whatever you use, first wipe down the surface to be painted with paint thinner or at least rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rustoleum makes a line of spray paint specifically for plastics.
"For use on: polypropylene, polystyrene, resin, PVC, fiberglass, and vinyl plastics such as chairs, tables, and planters."

Whatever you use, first wipe down the surface to be painted with paint thinner or at least rubbing alcohol.
Great tip - I guess I'm going to visit HomeDepot today. It costs $5

I called the manafacturer - K&S engineering, and they said that the sheet is made of PETG.

Do you think PETG is good as a 'glass' replacement? Won't it scratch very easily? Although where the Stromputer will be located (on center of handle bars) there shouldn't be anything that will scratch it on a regular basis, except for keys maybe that are dropped on it by mistake

·
Registered
490 Posts
Lots of people have painted their windscreens (acrylic), either the whole thing or just the lower part. Paint on the inside, use either specific plastic paint or start with a high adhesion primer then paint. Same process should work for your enclosure.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of people have painted their windscreens (acrylic), either the whole thing or just the lower part. Paint on the inside, use either specific plastic paint or start with a high adhesion primer then paint. Same process should work for your enclosure.
Thank you.
I was planning to just paint the external side, but perhaps painting the inside make more sense since it is protected from the elements.

Yes, I will probably get the Rosteloem spray for plastic, as advised before in this thread.
12 oz. Aerosol Paint-211338 at The Home Depot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts