StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am a new rider and looking get a V-Strom. There is one in my area that is a 2004 650 with 115k miles on the frame. The owner has swapped in a SV650 engine and says there are 18k miles with that engine. Should I look further into this? I would really like to get a V-Strom but they are hard to find used by me. Any advice would greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I don't have that milage, only 5/8th of it. (120,000km) the engine is the only bit that's wearing.

I have changed front/rear wheel bearings, steering stem bearings and greased the swingarm and linkages. If that's been done at some point the frame should be fine.

DL 650 frames have been broken on rocks and the like, but I havn't heard of cracking with age etc. (Some 1000's have had weld issues on swingarms, but the 650 swingarm is made differently)

FWIW. The SV engine is a bit more powerful than the DL's, but it is a hybrid so I'd expect to pay less than a real DL.

At the right price though, best guess is that it should be an O.K. buy.

Pete

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response Pete! The bike was being listed at 4200 and im sure the price is negotiable. Does that sound like it is too high or is it about right?

Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
The price sounds high to me . I bought my 07 a year ago for $5000 with 450 miles. I say shop around a little more. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about the frame... My concern would be these types of owner hybrid/frankenstein creations that may be hiding more than you bargained for... My advice would be to look for a bike closer to stock configuration... Spend a little more and get a better bike...

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
The bike was being listed at 4200 and im sure the price is negotiable. Does that sound like it is too high or is it about right?
Unless there's something very specific about a Frankenbike that you want, why pay for one? There are already enough uncertainties in a used vehicle; why compound them by paying good money for one that's been butchered and whose mileage is unverifiable?

This is the second such question that I've seen recently, and I don't understand why, in a buyer's market, it even needs consideration. :confused: In a metro area such as yours, there have got to be a bazillion options ... maybe you're looking in the wrong places?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Unless there's something very specific about a Frankenbike that you want, why pay for one? There are already enough uncertainties in a used vehicle; why compound them by paying good money for one that's been butchered and whose mileage is unverifiable?

This is the second such question that I've seen recently, and I don't understand why, in a buyer's market, it even needs consideration. :confused: In a metro area such as yours, there have got to be a bazillion options ... maybe you're looking in the wrong places?
Exactly... it is a buyer's market out there... That bike the OP is looking at has red flags written all over it... I would walk away from that...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will continue looking around and hopefully be able to find one soon. I have been checking craigslist and doing other various searches but can seem to find too many used. Do you have any other suggestions as to places I should be looking?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i agree with everyone above. the only way that i would consider that bike is if it were half priced. i wouldn't even pay $4K an 04 stock with 18K miles.

i bought mine through this forum this last spring. got an 07 with 8K miles for a hair over $4k, and it was all original with a few farkles.

keep looking unless you can get that one for real cheap.

i suggest keeping your eye out on this forum, and keep searching craigslist in your area and surrounding areas.

good luck! if you wait then a good one will pop up, it did for me...be patient

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about the frame... My concern would be these types of owner hybrid/frankenstein creations that may be hiding more than you bargained for... My advice would be to look for a bike closer to stock configuration... Spend a little more and get a better bike...
+1 - I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Personally I'd love to have an SV engine in mine. Unless the bike has been wrecked there isn't much to go wrong with on the frame except bearings.

That price, however, is way high. My '06 new was $5900 if I remember right and they were going up about $500 a year or so at that time. I suspect the '04 new was in the $5000 range. KBB lists that model at about $3500.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the listing says it has never been down dropped or crashed and the owner has records of every single service and repair done. I would definitely not buy it unless the price was lowered.

Thanks again for all the responses. I am new to this community and I am very happy with how helpful and friendly you all are.

Chris

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will continue looking around and hopefully be able to find one soon. I have been checking craigslist and doing other various searches but can seem to find too many used. Do you have any other suggestions as to places I should be looking?
Patience Grasshopper!

We're heading into the selling season so keep looking. If you haven't already, consider expanding your CL search up through Santa Barabara (OC, LA, Ventura). It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on cycletrader.com too.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Don't be afraid to buy a bike outside your area. It is around $500.00 to ship a bike and deals can be had or fly and ride. It is very common to do these days. I even bought a RV on ebay once that was a distressed seller in AZ. I flew down checked it out and drove it home.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I saw that bike posted in the Bay Area craigslist too. Something seemed funny about his whole story to me. I'll also recommend patience... last year after six months of searching and waiting, I woke up with a good feeling. Found my '05 with 10k and some nice extras for $3800, had to drive to sacramento to pick it up... but after seeing how meticulous and organized the original owner was, it was well worth the 2hr trek to finally get the ride I wanted.
If you find one up here in the Bay Area (not much on the market now) I'll drive it down to you:mrgreen:
Also AZ is where the keep the Air Force mothball fleet. Might be a good place to find a used bike in good shape and not to far from SD. like this 2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL 650

1 - 18 of 18 Posts