StromTrooper banner

Question about glove care.

828 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  crevans 
#1 ·
OK. My suit is all mesh, so I can toss it into the washer once it gets a little funkey, but WTF do I do with gloves? I have 2 gloves, and both are mesh with leather palms. My concern is the leather in the gloves. After my wife washed two leather wallets, I know full well that water and leather do NOT mix. So how do I get the skuzzyness out of them? Any tips?

Gib

#2 ·
I've washed leather gloves in akll kinds of ways, including the washing machine.

I usually put them on and wash them like my hands.
Let them air dry slowly, then oil them with a leather oil treatment (Dubbin, mink oil, 3-in-1 on my work gloves :lol: )

They have put up with this for many treatments.

#4 ·
Using the advice from my neighbour, a long standing furniture an upholsterer I've cleaned a few pairs of leather gloves. His suggestion, which seemed to work well was:
1) wash (machine) as either normal or delicate and if possible, with a larger load of clothes - supposedly this helps protect a lot of the tumbling that can open up stray stitching etc). Alternatively - handwash using mild detergent and cold wash and rinse
2)air dry - perferably layered in a towel of something for a few hours to draw out most of the moisture on outside, then stuff kleenex, paper towel etc into fingers loosely to draw out inside moisture (I used bargain bin microfibre cloths for this as I have tons)

I found that extending the drying process really did stop shrinkage and have had no issues - just apply favorite leather treatment after and should be all set. I've used this approach on bike, snowmobile and dress gloves -no problems so far.

Safe riding

Bob

#7 ·
Has anyone considered saddle soap ? This is a long-time accepted cleaner of leather goods. Sold in the shoe section of most Wal-marts.
I use that for my Redwing 980s as part of my boot regimen. Saddlesoap, polish, oil every couple months, keeps my feet dry and happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.