StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Decided to try out a set of lowering links on my DL K5 1000. I've read that you can lower the front forks to 15 mm and my question is this. Is it 15 mm. from the top of the forks to the triple tree, or from the top of the forks to the locking nut on the triple tree? Thank you for all of your help out there folks!

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you figure that the 'shoulder' of the fork sits flush with the top of the triple tree/yoke, then drop it through 15mm, so that a further 15mm of th fork is exposed above the triple tree. Make sure the bike's weight is supported throughtout this process, I'm sure you know that already.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
10-15mm from the top of the chromed steel tube, not including the aluminum top nut, to the triple clamp where it contacts the tube is good with a stock rear height. It can be lowered as much as 21mm.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Vees and Wees have front end aerodynamic lift at high speeds. Lowering the front or raising the rear limits that and quickens steering. I was so much happier with the front lowered 10-15mm on my Wee.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks GW. The front is already 15 mm. down as per your description. Once the 7/8 in. lowering links are installed (still waiting for the parts), then I still have another 6 mm. "fudge" room. I was reluctant to try the lowering links because I like the way the bike handles as it is now. But after I dropped it when the pavement slanted away from me, it got me to thinking this is still somewhat of a problem. Will adjust the front to 21 mm. and see how it rides after the links are installed. Still not convinced this is the right way to go, but if it handles well and gives me more control at a stop, then it will be a winner.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I dropped mine 13mm from the top of the tubes today; a very easy adjustment to do with a jack under the front of the engine case. Took it for about 40 miles in a strong wind and it SEEMED to make a difference. Hard to say, but it certainly isn't worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts