StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2014 DL650 about a year ago and it has a little over 5000 miles on it so far. I noticed cracking along the treads both on the front and rear tires, but its not as bad on the rear as it is on the front. Is this something to worry about? I believe Bridgestone has a warranty for cracking under a year, but will this qualify for warranty replacement? The dealership I go to is less than helpful, so I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Those cracks are at the edge of the tire block. It's normal, caused by the blocks distorting under power in the rear or braking in the front. Be wary of deep cracks in the tire carcass in the middle between the blocks or on the side walls. Those indicate a need for replacement. Where you have cracks are the only places that indicate normal use.

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
I'd as fast as I could for the life of the tire and get news ones quick.
You don't mention the brand of tire. I've had several brands and never had that situation. Don't buy those next time.
Some early Shinko's did that but were biased ply tires.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Calm down. It's a stock Trailwing. They do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they are both stock Trailwings and the date on both tires is 2013. Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I had this on my OEM tires. Never caused a problem but I always had it in the back of my mind when I was loaded up and on the highway. Hard for me to not think about cracks in my tires when doing 70mph so I put new tires on a little prematurely. Call me chicken.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had those same cracks on my Trailwings. Dealer told me I should change them before my big trip because the tire showed defects. I looked at the amount of tread left and decided to wait. I did my 4000 mile trip in the Trailwings and made it through fine. Fresh Pilots on it now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It's probably just surface cracking or "checking". I wouldn't worry about it, but I'd keep an eye on it for any signs of the cracks going deeper which could lead to delamination (chunks of tire coming off).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to update that these were covered under the warranty by Bridgestone, so they are going to replace them. Not the best tires in the world, but free is nice. Thanks for all the input!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts