StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, found a few like topics like this, but nothing exact.

I was on my way to get some oil for my bike and was waiting in line at the border crossing for 30 minutes this morning. It was a slow line with not much moving. I heard my aux. fan come on about 4 times and figured it was fine given there was not much air coming through to cool the engine.

When I got through the border crossing, I began to drive about 25mph through town, and noticed that the bike would bog down for about 5 seconds, then be fine. 10 seconds later, same thing. Bog down for about 5 seconds, then be fine. I was not accelerating at all when this was happening - i was just driving the 25. Eventually, it got better and slowly went away. About 10 miles later, the problem went away fully. I picked my oil and such and proceeded my way home (a 20mile trek one way). I was doing about 55 the entire way, passed a few cars, driving a little aggressive I suppose - everything was great. When I got back to the 25mph limit area near the border, it did the bogging down thing again, but not nearly as bad. It did it maybe twice. The line going back into canada was short. Once I got through the border, it did it once more and that was it until I parked it.

I have read similar things online that it's the fuel filter, but only when driving faster than what I was doing. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? This was never an issue until I waited in line to enter the U.S. for the 30 minutes.

I suppose I should check the obvious first like the air filter and spark plugs... I don't know. I am at a loss.

Thanks in advanced everyone!

07, dl650 52,000 KM

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
How many bars were you seeing on the temperature guage? Has the coolant ever been changed on tour bike? Is your coolant level okay? Was the outside air temperature very hot that day? The answers to all these questions may give a clue to your problem.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were 3 bars at all times. The coolant has been changed but a while ago. The level as well is fine as it's right in the middle. As for the temp, it was about 50 degrees out side. Pretty normal day.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
There were 3 bars at all times. The coolant has been changed but a while ago. The level as well is fine as it's right in the middle. As for the temp, it was about 50 degrees out side. Pretty normal day.
That sounds like the cooling is okay. I have no real ideas at this point. I am sure others will chime in soon with some good thoughts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet if I let is sit overnight, I probably wont hear of it again. Im looking at how to check the air filter, but I dont have a lot of time this weekend. I wondering if it's a long shot that it could even be the issue.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... in trying to get the fuel tank off, I was unable to get the fuel pump/tube off. Had the laptop with me and had some great reads. I just done understand how to get it off. I was following the read:

"http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/26543-dl1000-650-fuel-tank-removal.html"

but, "the clip that holds it in place" were un squeezable. I tried turning the black connector counter clockwise with no success - turning it too much counter clock with and you will run out of slack.

..ugh.

·
Registered
353 Posts
fuel connection

There are two plastic tabs you must squeeze pretty good to pull it off. I think there are pics in some other posts.

I doubt that air filter would create that problem only at 25 and not at higher speeds. - but that is only a guess and I am at a loss for those symptoms you describe.

I while back I had my bike appear to loose power about 70 loaded dual up a hill - but the issue has never come back - I just assumed/hoped it was some marginal gas.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts