StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving for a trip to Florida tomorrow at 3am (driving unfortunately), and I've mapped out the route using MapSource. I've transferred the route to my Quest2, but I can't find it when I'm browsing around on the GPS. Where do I need to look for the route that I loaded? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am not familiar with the Quest GPS, but other Garmins like the Nuvi's will have the imported route in a user area where it waits to be converted to a native format. In mine Nuvi you go to Tools->My Data->Import Route From File. Then pick the appropriate route file.

Now, if your Quest has a standard NMEA interface you can get your routes directly to/from the GPS using a free tool like gpsTrackmaker (my favourite) or EasyGPS. Unfortunately Garmin doesn't tell you about stuff like that - they want to sell you their software - so it won't be in the book. The other unfortunate thing is that you are on a strict timeline and the tools will require some effort.

Here is what easyGPS says about your device: "The Quest 2 can hold 50 routes, each containing up to 250 turns or stops. Route names on the Garmin Quest 2 can contain up to 13 characters." This leads me to believe you should be able to get the routes directly in/out of your GPS.

Hopefully someone with a Quest will see this with more useful help. Sorry that I couldn't have been more helpful.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I'm leaving for a trip to Florida tomorrow at 3am (driving unfortunately), and I've mapped out the route using MapSource. I've transferred the route to my Quest2, but I can't find it when I'm browsing around on the GPS. Where do I need to look for the route that I loaded? Thanks for any help!
Sigh, do you have two mapsets loaded? I do, so I have to make sure I look at the correct mapset in the Quest.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It only shows the one mapset. I didn't transfer a "map" to the GPS, instead I transferred a "route" to the GPS...does that matter? This is the first time I've ever used MapSource, sorry for the ignorance, lol.

*edit* I used the route tool on Map to draw my route on MapSource, then just hit the "Send to Device" button on the program. (Just so you know how I did it)

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
It only shows the one mapset. I didn't transfer a "map" to the GPS, instead I transferred a "route" to the GPS...does that matter? This is the first time I've ever used MapSource, sorry for the ignorance, lol.

*edit* I used the route tool on Map to draw my route on MapSource, then just hit the "Send to Device" button on the program. (Just so you know how I did it)
Hmnnn.... There are two types of maps for the Quest. City Navigator which is for auto navigation, and the hiking maps which are for, hiking. Many people make this mistake. The hiking maps have roads and you can "draw" a route but you can not navigate the route with your quest. You need city navigator for that. What map software do you have?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I may be too late...
...the Quest has a limited amount of memory.
First, you need to load the correct mapset, then (though I am not sure, because I haven't done it) your route.

My guess is that you don't have the correct mapset.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's a little late, but I'm using City Navigator NT North America v8. I don't think it would have mattered if I figured it out anyway. The GPS wouldn't keep a signal for more than a minute, then it would have to search for satellites. Sometimes it wouldn't even connect to satellites. I don't know what's wrong with it, I've never had trouble with it before.

I emailed Garmin and they said to download a firmware upgrade. I guess I'll try that and see if it helps. I've gotta get it figured out because I'm riding to Canada in July.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Quest 2 has maps pre-loaded ( I have one with City Nav NT north america)... when you are in the map screen select menu. Then choose route options. Press ok then in the route options screen select route planner. If you have successfully downloaded the route it with be there to select and then to navigate...

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Well, it's a little late, but I'm using City Navigator NT North America v8. I don't think it would have mattered if I figured it out anyway. The GPS wouldn't keep a signal for more than a minute, then it would have to search for satellites. Sometimes it wouldn't even connect to satellites. I don't know what's wrong with it, I've never had trouble with it before.

I emailed Garmin and they said to download a firmware upgrade. I guess I'll try that and see if it helps. I've gotta get it figured out because I'm riding to Canada in July.
I am still using the 'original' Quest. Sorry about the misinfo re: wrong map set.

My old one has developed an issue similar to yours. I think that it's the contacts for the antenna. If you flip the antenna up and down a couple of times, it usually works again, for a while. I have ordered, via ebay, an external antenna to see if that solves my problem.

You can remove the two screws on the back of the unit to the right (while looking at the back of the unit) of the antenna, then with a twist and a pull the antenna will separate -- at least, I think it's supposed to -- mine came apart that way:mod2_eek:. I attempted to clean it using tissue, came out dirty went back together, sometimes works, sometimes, no worky...

I'll report back once I try the external antenna.....

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I'll report back once I try the external antenna.....

Rec'd the external/plug-in antenna that I purchased from ebay today. A 20 minute ride to the gas station and back and it stayed on the whole time. No more antenna flipping.
I previously reported that you can remove the integral antenna by removing the screws on the right side (when viewing the back). That was correct, and the antenna just plugs in @ the other hinge point. The hinge point on the right has a spring behind it. Perhaps that spring can be lengthened a bit, thereby providing better contact in the plug-in connection, but I doubt that will correct the issue. I would think that the connection issue is circumferential, not perpendicular...

So far, the external is the way to go--for me. Time will tell...

I am having issues with the unit charging. Anyone got an idea?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I downloaded and ran the upgrade that Garmin suggested. It turns out that I had the newest software on the GPS already. I just let it go ahead and wipe out and reinstall the software on the GPS. It worked fine on the way to work this morning. I don't know what I may have done to mess it up (if it was my fault), I just hope this solved the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts