StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to think about this a little more since I have a week booked off in August - perfect for a 9 day trip. Never ridden further east than Mont Tremblant, but have visited Cabot Trail and stayed in Truro for a while.

If anyone has been out on either of these rough routes or has any suggestions feel free to chime in. Black Lab had some good ride reports of his trips out there from about 10 years ago which are very useful.

I'm figuring around 800km/day with early starts to be able to get off the bike a bit to enjoy here and there. I'm fine with long days and have done mutiple trips with repeated 1000km days, so this will be a more leisurely trip. I haven't done a lot of reading about these places or routes so far - just pulling the roads from here: 54 Motorcycle Roads Quebec Canada and making the rest up as I go.

Option 1: North shore of St Lawrence using Baie Comeau as a base camp for 3 nights. From Baie Comeau, take a day trip out to Kegashka, another up to Manic Cinq for a tour of the dam if it's open, then head over to and stay in Chicoutimi/Tadoussac for 3 nights to explore, and head back home via La Touque, Parc national de la Mauricie, stay overnight in Mont Tremblant and head home via Calabogie.
Route: Mississauga to Mississauga

Option 2: South shore of St. Lawrence via Lac Megantic to see where the massive train derailment occurred, then overnight near Quebec City. Then head over to Prince Edward Island for 3 nights and ride around the island for at least one day and walk another day. Then head over to Gaspe for 3 nights and while staying there go riding around to explore and also get off the bike. Then head home via the south shore of the St. Lawrence, stay overnight near Drummondville and home via Calabogie.
Route: Mississauga to Mississauga

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
hey - part depends on the weather ....north shore is miserable if rainy yet can nice on the south shore when you cross

for sure you want to do chitcoutami and the fjiords and parc mauricie ...absolutely fabulous ride - try not to hit it on the weekend.
perfect pavement and elevation changes - just excellent riding

then i would switch to as much as you can of gaspe. quebec and gaspe can be jammed with tourists on the weekends and no passing on double lines ( ask me how I know :cry: ) so getting places can be excruciatingly slow especially north of montreal

Have you considered post Labour Day instead ?? cooler and less tourist pressure?

Roads are uneven in quality and lots of critters,,,,even an otter crossed the road and I was nearly decapitated with a turkey exploding from the roadside,

Sorry for few caps ,,,typing from bed at 2am in the snowy mountains. Tourism Snowy Mountains
a boyhood dream seeing this engineering wonder of the world

Reactions: Juan Tanamera

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did the La Tuque / Lac St-Jean based out of La Tuque on a moto camping trip last July and then did the Saguenay/Chicoutimi based out of Baie St-Paul in September. Great roads to be found.
I was planning to do the North Shore and Manic Cinq this summer too.
Concerning the Gaspesie, I camp their almost every summer for the last few years, and can only say you need to do more than just the once around the outside (Rte 132). Some great roads and places/scenery to be seen crisscrossing it too, like the road going through Murdochville into Gaspé. Murdochville is interesting to see the mines or what remains of the them, though the tourist/visit center now is particularly closed.
As Macdoc mentioned you could do both the North Shore and Gaspesie by crossing over by ferry at some point, though perhaps the PEI portion would need to be reconsidered.
Weekends can get crowded but that is surely true of lots of good riding roads but during the weeks watch out for logging trucks who have no care about speed limits or road rules.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I was born in sept-iles. Much nicer town than baie comeau for a base. 800 km a day on the 138 and some of the other ropadfs you mention sounds ambitious.
One thing for sure, the North shore will be less crowded and less busy with traffic than the gaps and the maritimes in the summer. He'd east from sept-miles into labrador and ou won't see anyone.

I am doing this trip this summer.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was born in sept-iles. Much nicer town than baie comeau for a base. 800 km a day on the 138 and some of the other roads you mention sounds ambitious.
One thing for sure, the North shore will be less crowded and less busy with traffic than the gaps and the maritimes in the summer. He'd east from sept-miles into labrador and you won't see anyone.

I am doing this trip this summer.
Thanks for the suggestion about staying in Sept-Iles. That also seems to make better sense for a base to work out of for distances as well. I hope accommodations aren't sold out at that time of year.

Why do you think that 800km is ambitious along the 138? Is it due to to the slower speed limits or many small towns or something else?

Thanks for all the info so far - I have wanted to get out to the end of the 138 for many years now and finally this seems to be the year to do it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can't speak for the North Shore's Rte138 after Tadoussac but even before because of the towns, traffic etc, riding much beyond the legal limit is not a reality. Also on the sections between Quebec City and Tadoussac I have found police more prominent. I'm guessing that the North Shore is similar to the Gaspesie where police presence is limited. On the Rte 132 there are sections where high speeds are possible and not an issue.
800km days without some highway and only on roads with speed limits of max 90-80km/h have always been very long days in my case and not something to be done day after day, but that's me.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
I really enjoyed Tadousac. Interesting history, amazing sand hill just outside of town you can walk down to the ocean.. Whales everywhere if on a boat (In summer). Also enjoyed any Hydro Quebec historic power generating plant tours.(Some involved a bit of hiking along the power plant project. If a little Grubby and in need of luxury, go to the Fairmont in Pointe Aux Pic and put your feet up. Expensive but perhaps worth it. Amazing buffet breakfast there. (Hopefully Covid is in the past by the time you go).
If going up the Saguenay to Chicoutimi, and Lac St Jean, I'd stop in at the Ghost Town in Val Jalbert. It was pretty neat to see what a small mill town looked like.
If you enjoy Zoos at all, I was very surprised by the Zoo Sauvage in St Felicien. It is quite different from other zoos (And must have received a ton of Government money)
The town of Baie St Paul has good restaurants and lots of art gallery type things. The Charlevoix is a great region for tourism in general. Pretty sure the hydro museum I visited was between Mont St Anne and Le Massif ski hill.
If you want to spend the day being silly, there is a great water park near Baggotsville. I did most of the spots with my kids while camping 15 years ago.
My suggestions don't mesh that well with 800 km days, but if you need a break, one might fit in.

Reactions: Juan Tanamera

·
Registered
726 Posts
Everything Gabriel said. All of the towns use the 138 as their main road. > I'm not saying 800 km is not doable. I would say it would be n injustice because you will stop to take pictures. Many many pictures.

If you get to spec-iles, go the Old Fort. It is supposed to be where Jacques Cartier stopped first in Canada. Damn, it was small. Anyway he named the place sept-miles — seven islands in French — when there were only six. The seventh was the peninsula that forms the bay in Sept-iles that makes it a shipping port extraordinaire.

I don't think you'll have trouble finding accommodations. Hell, my cousin has a nicely fixed up trailer, he'll happily rent you.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome - this all makes sense to me and appreciate the tips of places to stop.

If there is one thing I have learned on my longer multi-day trips to beautiful regions, it’s the amount of time lost to taking pictures. I recall my first time heading down to Deals Gap along the Blue Ridge Parkway, I stopped at almost every look out point for a picture and ended up riding well into the dark to get to my sleeping spot.

I’ll make sure to plan the mileage accordingly and see how many days I can trim back to 600km or so.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey there! It's Colin from Trail Trash ADV.
This isn't exactly where your route is, but I figured it's close enough that it might be relevant for you. This is a link to a ride report for a 10-day trip I did in 2019 through some seriously remote and beautiful locations. Give it a read, day 3&4 will probably appeal to you most :) There are videos as well so you'll know exactly what you're in for!

YouTube.com/TrailTrashADV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts