StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK sitting around being bored has me looking for things do. My wife was talking about refinishing the kitchen cabinets, ugh!

Wait I can work on my bike instead right? I haven't checked the valves since I bought the bike. Got it used with about 20k miles on it, has around 35 now. The guy I bought it from had a dealer do maintenance at 18k but he wasn't sure what was done. He spent around $800 so I assumed they checked the valves, maybe not but that was my excuse for not checking before now!

Anyway the bike is a 2014 1000 and seems to me that it should be easier then the 2012 650 I had. What with the gear driven cams and all. No tensioners to mess with right?

I'll dig into it this week and take some pics. Maybe post them if there's interest.

So anyone else working on bikes instead of Honey Do's? :sneaky:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Yep. The bike's up on a stand right now as we speak, with the front end removed so I could rebuild the forks and service the steering head. Next is new plugs, air filter, and an oil change. I'm just screwing off right now waiting for an answer to a question about the bearing races that I posted on the Super Tenere forum.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I've been moving farkles around the GS's setting each of the 3 up a little different. Also sourced a good header to cut open to remove the caytalic converter. Now the bike can breathe a bit easier. In time the other 2 will get de-cat'ed.

Also I cleaned out and organized the tool chest and related shelving and gave the motorcycle lift a bath after a winter of hard use.

We have been doing a lean/5S initiative at work for the last several years and its starting to bleed over into my home life. I threw out tools, fasteners, chemicals and parts that I have not used in years buy was saving because they'd come in handy. Same with the misc bolts drawer. About 2 months ago I simply dumped it in the trash and have not looked back. Before when I needed 4 fasteners I'd look in the junk drawer find 3 bolts and 2 nuts then run to the store and buy what else I needed. Now in stead of looking in the drawer I make a list and go to the store and buy what I need. I spend less time and much less frustrating.

I'm in a less is more mode and it feels good looking around and not seeing piles of parts or junk that will never get used.

Cat1.jpg

Cat2.jpg

Cat3.jpg

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Perazz, you're a brave man tossing stuff so readily. I should do likewise. I've got 50 years of stuff in the garage but some how keep coming up with justifications for not throwing things away. Not long ago I inherited an old tool chest of my Grand dads. No much in it but I'm loath to toss it because of the Grand Dad connection.
Useless stuff like leftover shingles from the first roof I put on the house 25 years ago. Knowing that I'll probably not be doing that again in 25 years should justify tossing out the old stuff.
Anyone want a hand crank centrifuge?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm so thankful to still be working full-time (from home for now)! So I don't have to think things up to do during the day. :)

But, now that my bike is "finished" and back on the road, what I really need to do is clean up my garage. :) After 2 years of agonizing over my motor, and working on it for a couple hours at a time, almost every tool I own (I don't own many) are now in a pile on the floor, on either side of the scrap piece of carpet I've been using to sit on to work on the bike. That's handy so I didn't have to get up off the floor to go get something; but now it's really starting to irritate me to look at it all sittin' there!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Trust me its hard to get rid of stuff. Last year at bulk trash I loaded up a 1/2 pickup bed full of old motorcycle parts. I put 3 pieces on take 2 pieces off then talk my self into putting it them back It took all afternoon of this ebb and flow to get the truck loaded. The next morning I went to bulk trash and as soon as the building was in my review mirror it was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I think knowing everything was gone and there was nothing I could do to get it back was freeing. That was the tip of the iceberg. Over the last year I have tossed lots of stuff or sold it on FB marketplace. Less clutter and a few bucks in my pocket.

Once "lean" takes ahold it great. Sure now when I need a specific part I'll pay the price and buy it. No more hording parts tying up money to eventually throw it away. Even if I buy parts at a premium I'm still saving money because I'm only buying what I need when I need it. .

You can start slow. Take a top out of the way shelf and clean it off. Then put some stuff that you know you'll use and is too good to throw away on this shelf. In 6 months count how many times you accessed this shelf and what use used. Most likely you forgot the stuff was there and never accessed it. Now you know its just overburden and time to clean the shelf off for another round of treasures.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
This is how mine looks right now....

I still have to change the spark plugs, install a new air filter, do an oil change, and put everything back together, so I figure I can milk this for a couple of quarantine inspired maintenance days until I have to come up with a new project.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had all the maintenance on my 2012 Vee done before the voluntary exile to the house. Painted the panniers and top case at the start of the C-19 stay at home program so it is all ready for the riding season. Painting the panniers and top case got me to looking at repairs and painting of my 1500, my '85 1200 GW is parked against the wall to be worked on after the 1500. I had a panel that was damaged so I fixed and painted it. I had always wanted to try spray guns so I bought a set and the finished product was quite good I thought. Before: Left side panel tab and corner braoken.JPG After: Left side panel corner painted 2.jpg

Now that I have the time and the with the success of the panel above, I'm painting the whole bike. Noticed once I installed the repaired panel that the original clear coat had yellowed over the years (25 - to be expected). Picking up the paint today, a Pear Glacier White type - can't get the exact Honda match, and then getting at it. Spent yesterday taking everything off the bike and apart: Bike Stripped 4.jpg

Cleaning, repairing small issues and cracks, and prepping for painting over the next three days. Never would have done this if not for the C-19. Taking the bike apart like this shows a clear lack of cleaning being done, small bits of gravel everywhere as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I checked the valves, all at minimum. Adjusted them out to maximum. New plugs, air cleaner and flushed the cooling system. The bike runs noticeably better. No surprise I guess probably don't notice a gradual decline until it's running like it should!

Bad news though the kitchen cabinets are on the top of my wife's list.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea after I refinish them... 🤪

·
Vendor
5,067 Posts
Seems like I need to de-glaze my brakes, polish my windscreen, and repair my TUTORO oiler feed.

And try a yellow LED to see how they work. Some guy in China has been pestering the heck out of me to do it and I guess now is as god a time as any.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm doing the steering head bearing upgrade to tapered from ball and fork oil change and spring mod.

The other mod I'm doing is to JB Weld in those annoying nuts that fall out from behind the front fender...

I used small chunks of fuel line for spacers and the original bolts to hold the nuts in place while the JB Weld sets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts