StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking to purchase a 2019 V-Strom 650XT Touring. Are there any owners who can comment on the reliability and overall quality of the bike? Is it worth paying $8,500 new?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I Have been riding my 2017XT (34,000 miles) with GIVI top and two side cases for almost three years. I wouldn't ride long distance 2 up, but carry a lot of camping and other gear on solo rides. I also ride primarily on state highways where speed limits are 45 to 65 mph. Anything higher is tiring because need to focus on bike and wind (cross and traffic). Above 80 mph, I get a little uneasy, because steering starts to feel awkward and light. I haven't ridden the 1000, but plan to checkout and get a 1050XT once they are available. Running around on state highways is a blast on the 650. Very reliable and quality is good, especially with an exceptional dealer service nearby.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm currently looking to purchase a 2019 V-Strom 650XT Touring. Are there any owners who can comment on the reliability and overall quality of the bike? Is it worth paying $8,500 new?
Reliability is not an issue with these 650s. As you peruse some of the threads on here, there are several people with well over 100,000 miles on theirs. Easy and cheap to maintain, OEM and aftermarket parts are readily available everywhere. I would agree with @Inpitt/Mac50, great solo bike for touring, short of breath for two up long distance, though some people do. Many find the DL650 somewhat limited in off road capability, but that's where the aftermarket comes in. Sort of "sweat equity." You start with a basic bike and modify it to fit your riding.
Lastly, I would think you could do a little better than $8500 on a year-old bike, even if it is the XT Touring model. The XTT is nicely equipped already, but I'd try and squeeze a tank bag into the deal. ;)
Speaking of touring on a DL 650...Many of us Stromtroopers and others around the world have been following the saga of Ms Wee: yes, they are reliable and of good quality!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Living in the Southwest where the speed limit is higher I can say that my 2014 650 is stable over 65. I regularly travel 80 mph on the interstate with no problem. Coming up on 42,000 miles since I bought mine as a leftover in 2016. Great bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I wouldn't expect the XT Touring to be any different from the other models, including recent other years, for reliability or quality.

Whether it's worth $8,500...I think it comes down to if you want or need spoked wheels, whether you generally like stock accessories (crash "accessory" bars, side cases) or like to pick & choose aftermarket add-ons, and how the price (given the extra bits) compares to the XT and base model.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a new 2019 650XT Touring back in December 2019. Excellent bike so far with almost 3k miles on it. I paid $8940 out the door for the bike which I think was a good value for all you get, traction control, ABS, side cases, crash bars, and a center stand. Fit and finish is better than my 2019 Goldwing.

Gas mileage is surprising low on the V-Strom, maybe high 40s if you ride on the freeways a lot. My Goldwing gets nearly the same gas mileage and it weighs 300+ lbs more is a lot bigger and has 4 more cylinders. I guess it has something to do with RPMs. At highway speeds the V-Strom's engine is turning over 6k, the Goldwing's engine is only turning less than 2500 RPMs.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Is it worth paying $8,5000 new? I'd say no... it's not. These bikes are pretty much bullet proof, you could probably find one with under 10,000 miles on it for $5,000. For around $6500 you could probably find a 2014+ 1000. Having said that I like to buy new bikes, they are shiny and the break in process is fun, you can farkle them and know the entire history, get the latest model year and features. Buying new is never worth it, from a purely financial aspect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have a 19 touring. I was in love when i saw it on the dealers floor. Due to the weather and climate where I live I only have 500 miles on mine but I really like it. The only mod I'm looking at is a handlebar setback. I tried to move the handlebars back which helped, but I'm looking forward to installing a one inch up and one inch back relocation.
Pull the trigger, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently bought a new 2019 and I think with the SUZUKI Customer cash incentives, it came in about $6999.00 US, but then add in frtand set up at $350 and taxes in Indiana at 7% it was about $8200 out the door.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had my 2019 DL-650XT since November (paid $7,600 with the plastic bags) and its been a stellar performer. We have high speed limits and lots of wind here in Texas. The speed limit is 75 on most roads, 80 on the interstate and 85 on the toll road around Austin and the bike has no problems keeping up with those speeds. I put a fork brace on it and it's stable even in pretty stiff cross winds. I think its a bargain even if you have to spend a few dollars to tame the budget suspension.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased my 2019 650XT in January. With the year end sale and Suzuki cash made it pretty easy to buy new vs used 17 - 18. I’ve got a little over 1,000 miles on it now. Added LED lights and extra foot pegs on crash bar. Couldn’t be happier with purchase no regrets. The guys I’m riding with all have cruisers. Harly, Kawasaki, Honda, Victory. I don’t get any more butt sore than they do. They absolutely fear gravel roads And I can brag on my 57 miles per gallon vs their 35 to 40. I’m a happy camper

·
Registered
7 Posts
For what it's worth, in March I paid $7600 for a 2019 XT tour with only 370 miles on it. Seller just didn't like it and wanted to sell before he had miles on it. I love it! I've had a Goldwing and a Super Tenere, for me, this beats both of them.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
For what it's worth, in March I paid $7600 for a 2019 XT tour with only 370 miles on it. Seller just didn't like it and wanted to sell before he had miles on it. I love it! I've had a Goldwing and a Super Tenere, for me, this beats both of them.
Super Tenere too? How come?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought the same bike in November 2019 and like it very much. I purchased the Suzuki top case which is the only modification I've made to the stock bike. Very well built and fun to drive. I have about 1000 miles on it but have near Aspen CO for the summer so I'll put lots of miles on it on and off road. I would have to say the side cases that are part of the package are cheap feeling but do the job. I really like the top case and all the other goodies included. I think there's more fat to be cut from the deal.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would recommend you get the XT and then build it up the way you want it. You may not be happy with the hard bags that the tourer comes with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts