StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.
I just received the Givi crash guards for my DL650. There were two paint nics on the flanges and the welds don't look great. One weld was not even complete. Pictures below. I know what a good weld looks like but I think these look like hack jobs. Am I being too harsh considering the price point of the guards? Are these similar to what others have received? I don't want to send them back esp. if I'll just receive another set of the same, but I am a little miffed. I'd appreciate any feedback. thanks.
Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn't worry about those two chips because they will be covered up and would take decades to rust out from that location. However, those welds look like a 3rd grader did them and I would return them. I like my SW-Motech crash guards. The quality seems very nice.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i too like the quality of my sw-motech bars
i was unhappy and returned a givi skid as well
i am not a welder and i weld better then that
that being said,i think it will be fine-others gave them great reviews

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
"-others gave them great reviews"

But, are those great reviews based on initial installation and how the guards appear to the owner or based on how well the guards worked when they crashed?
My SW Motech, got used, held up well in a crash and protected the body work. They got a bit scratched up but BBQ paint covered the scratches..

·
Vendor
5,153 Posts
I have never ever heard of a weld on any major brand of crash bar "failing." Anyone else?

The weld's in the pictures may not be pretty to some people's eyes, but they show good penetration of the base metal and plenty of material added to the joint. I guess it is all part of meeting a price point. A single nuclear grade weld would cost more than the crash bars sell for.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Fwiw, it's seems like most of the crashbar complaints I've heard are aimed at the Suzuki OEM bars that come on some Adventure models (they break from vibration).
I've got the Givi bars on my '16 and they've been fine for over 15K miles and several drops (while not moving).

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I agree the likelihood is that the Givi guards would not be a problem, however I have decided to return them and order a set of the SW-Motec guards. I must say, Revzilla was just super about my options and how the return will be handled Plus a little cash. Darn good service. BTW - I just picked up my new Wee today! Thanks again to everyone who chimed in, it always helps. Bruce

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will and I hope I haven't made something out of nothing!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I will and I hope I haven't made something out of nothing!
Hey! I figure if you(the customer) aren't happy with the product you laid down your "hard earned" money for then it ain't "something out of nothing". Some businesses have lost touch with customer service. In my experience, Revzilla isn't one of them. I do agree that we as customers need to be responsible to pay return shipping if it isn't a quality issue. I would say that those welds are bordering on a quality issue. I took a closer look at my Givi bars and they have noticeably better welds. No, I don't think they would pass 100% X-Ray inspections, but I do think they should have the guy(or gal) that welded yours practice more or work in shipping or reception. Sorry, just my $.02.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As someone that has used his (went down on the right side at about 15 mph, wet road) I have no complaints. They held up great in the crash. Zero damage to the body, fairings, or tank. The only visible indication of a crash is the obvious wear on the cage where it contacted the ground, my exhaust shield, and a small scratch on my engine cover where the brake pedal was pushed in to it.

All in all, from like 5 feet away you can't even tell it ever went down. I'm happy with them on my vee2.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just received and installed GIVI crash bars on my 2005 DL650. I have to say the fit and finish was quite good and the install went pretty easy. Seem to be quite sturdy and look OK on the bike too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just received and installed GIVI crash bars on my 2005 DL650. I have to say the fit and finish was quite good and the install went pretty easy. Seem to be quite sturdy and look OK on the bike too.
Was curious if you have the TN 532 model as I thought there was updated one.

Also would you mind stating what you paid ?

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
I bought SW-Motech bars and skid. When I opened the package, friend of mine who installs noticed a nick in paint as well. His statement (and he used to install all accessories for a dealer) was, "eh, most of them are nicked in shipping. It's hard to wrap metal in bubble wrap and expect it to be perfect." We then installed them to spec and they have (on both sides) handled low speed (10-15mph) crashes and protected the pretty parts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Scooter56

Paid 183.00 CDN from Fortnine. I am out of town on business but I'll check the model number and get back to you later this week.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I have never ever heard of a weld on any major brand of crash bar "failing." Anyone else?

The weld's in the pictures may not be pretty to some people's eyes, but they show good penetration of the base metal and plenty of material added to the joint. I guess it is all part of meeting a price point. A single nuclear grade weld would cost more than the crash bars sell for.
My OEM adventure bars did, replaced them with the Givi.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just installed a set of Givi bars (TN 532) on my K7. The welds on mine are noticeably smoother than the welds in the above photographs... One thing I noticed is the bars aren't 100% symmetrical when viewed from the front/back of the bike. Both sides have good clearance but slightly different amounts. Bars are rock solid; I'm not going to worry about it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts