StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am in the market for a replacement battery for my Wee. I've greatly enjoyed the benefits of Lithium based batteries in my off road bikes, but the benefits for that application are significantly greater than for a Wee since (a) the weight savings is a more significant portion of the dirt bike's weight and (b) I don't start my dirt bikes unless I'm going off-roading so they can sit for some time.

That said, from recent reviews of the yuasas it seems like there's a lack of quality AGMs on the market anyway (check out Amazon to see what I mean). I know from research and experience that antigravity batteries come with a BMS and are high quality, and I'm in coastal SoCal so cold temps aren't really a concern.

tl;dr Have Li batteries matured enough to make it worth the jump for a strom used for daily commuting, particularly in areas where freezing temps aren't a concern?

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
I purchased a slightly "used" Shorai Li Battery probably 5-6 yrs ago, for my 2008 Wee simply because I wanted to loose a few pounds on the bike. Living in Alabama, and nestled in a conditioned basement 99% of the time, my bike can sit for 2 months without being started. I will hit the starter button and it fires up without hesitation...…..I cannot believe it has lasted this long!!! I am headed out in June for a month long trip and will probably replace it (with an identical Shorai) simply because I do not want it pooping out in the middle of no-where...…...and I have probably jinxed myself for stating that. They are around $175 at Revzilla………..

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
My Shorai going on 5 years in Australia in very high temperatures and humidity. I used to lose a battery a year as I was away 6-9 months and the regular batteries just died.
Do nothing to the Shorai and buddy is always surprised it starts instantly after sitting for months.
I didn't buy it for weight but for life span and start power ....has paid off.

Prices are down. I have an Anti-gravity power pack that has keep going even longer but is swelling now. I think the brand is good but can't comment on the motorcycle version.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far. For background I have a shorai in my wr450f and it's worked great but I went for an antigravity in my xt225 because I like that the case size matches the OEM battery case so none of the foam padding nonsense was needed. Both have been excellent although the wr sits for longer periods between starts since it doesn't have a plate.

·
Banned
261 Posts
I have had good luck with anti gravity in my 2003. Slovcan has it now and appears happy as well. Not all lithium batteries have been as reliable

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Antigravity batteries with restart tech. That looks like a cool and desirable feature, especially since LiFePo do not recover from being drained completely dead.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have had good luck with anti gravity in my 2003. Slovcan has it now and appears happy as well. Not all lithium batteries have been as reliable
Yes, indeed, I do have it and am SUPER happy with it. Incredible that it seems to never lose even 0.1V just sitting for days on end. BUT, parasitic drains from add-ons must be able to be switched off when the bike is off. I just installed a switch for my DVM.

I am even thinking now to get one for my Trophy. Her battery gets harder use and cranking amps are king for her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
BUT, parasitic drains from add-ons must be able to be switched off when the bike is off. I just installed a switch for my DVM.
I am even thinking now to get one for my Trophy. Her battery gets harder use and cranking amps are king for her.
I think the new ones with Restart are supposed to solve that problem by disconnecting when drained too low. Then you have to hit the Restart button to get it back on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decided to go with the antigravity atx-12-hd with restart, since it wasn't much more than the standard atx-12. Sure enough the lead acid battery I took off was some aftermarket no name and read at something like 12.5v about an hour after shutting off the bike. Here's hoping that's a battery problem and not a charging problem.

Put the antigravity in last night, it measured 13.4v right as I put it in and 13.35v this morning so I dont have any signs of parasitic loss with the bike off. It fired right up this morning no sweat, I'll report back if there are any issues. Thanks for the suggestions everyone

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The battery continues to charge and start on these cool winter mornings without issue. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I'm not a big fan of LI batteries but I just built a custom subframe for my R80 BMW and wanted to hide the battery under the seat.

Antigravity had the perfect size for what I wanted, the bike starts easily so the battery has not had a good workout but so far it has performed the task well.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
If it's chilly out ...the recommendation is to turn the key and wait a bit for the battery to warm up internally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts