StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I picked up a 2007 DL650-V-Strom with 16k miles on it. It's in good shape, has some upgrades, and is very fun to ride. However a few things have been bugging me....

First thing, I think the seat may have been modified to sit lower in the cheapest way possible. There is about a half inch of up/down play in the front. I suspect that the rubber cushion was cut down (very cleanly) or replaced with a shorter rubber cushion. Is that amount of up/down play normal?

Secondly, I hate the grips. The previous owner appears to have put on some tacky grey grips that were originally closed end, to which he took a knife to. I'd like to get some decent grips on the bike. But, I'd also like to just swap out the throttle tube for something inexpensive that doesn't have ribs and flanges instead of taking a dremel to the stock tube (since it is apparent that the outer ridge is an issue with almost anything other than OEM grips). Can anybody recommend a smooth nylon throttle tube replacement?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,797 Posts
You are close bye, Hola.
I've got Oxford grips, definitely a good thing.
You could try getting some new rubber seat bumpers from a dealer. I've got a spare stock seat if you want to compare stuff.
And throttle tube? You mean the handle you twist to make the bike go?

·
Vinegarjoe
64 Posts
Q: seat, g + tt

have an "07, bought used (159mi on odo), it has the same freeplay @ the forward seat, never been an impediment on the road. tb

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are close bye, Hola.
I've got Oxford grips, definitely a good thing.
You could try getting some new rubber seat bumpers from a dealer. I've got a spare stock seat if you want to compare stuff.
And throttle tube? You mean the handle you twist to make the bike go?
Throttle Tube is the sleeve on the handlebars under the throttle grip. The stock one has a ridge on the outer end, horizontal ribs along the length, and a flange on the inner side near the other controls (starter, shutoff).

And I just ordered some of the rubber cushions from Chapparal. My seat only has 2 of the rectangular ones (from the diagram it looks like there is supposed to be 4), and they are stuck on with an adhesive instead of the rubber posts that the stock ones appear to have.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Check your seat and make sure it is going into the bracket at the front properly. When I miss with mine I end up with slop at the front.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Throttle Tube is the sleeve on the handlebars under the throttle grip. The stock one has a ridge on the outer end, horizontal ribs along the length, and a flange on the inner side near the other controls (starter, shutoff).
I've been using Grip Puppies the last couple of years and really like them. They just slide over the stock grips and afterwards look like they came on the bike. Very comfy.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/dl650_handlebar-control/GPSMALL.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been using Grip Puppies the last couple of years and really like them. They just slide over the stock grips and afterwards look like they came on the bike. Very comfy.

GRIP PUPPIES ™ Small. (1 Pair) - Motorcycle Parts and Accessories for the Sport Touring Enthusiast at California Sport Touring
I've seen a lot of people recommend the Grip Puppies, and I might end up with a set, but the current grips on the bike are in terrible shape, weren't installed correctly, and need to be replaced.

To get back to stock, OEM grips would end up costing around $45 and would still need to have the throttle tube modified if I didn't like the sleeve-type grips like the Grip Puppies. At that price, I'd just order the G2 Ergo Aluminum Tube instead.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seat issue fixed. The previous rubber cushions were cut along the section with the holes and the back ones were missing entirely. All 4 places have new cushions and now the seat fits in without slop at the front.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts