StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes Read the manual, yes I went thru the 114 posts about the clock. My clock I can adjust to be correct. Then after a few cycles of having the bike running & then off the darn clock reads 1 AM all on it's own. I adjusted the clock 3 times yesterday while running around at Americade. It will start running the min I start the bike again.
Any clues out their?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The clock isn't adjusting. It's losing power. The clock isn't the problem but the power connections to the clock. A weak battery combined with a marginal connector in the fairing is the usual cause. Hard starting or loss of headlights often follow. The connector to the instrument package is one place to check. Another is the large connector under the rubber cover in the left side of the fairing. I would also take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested. I also recommend a headlight relay kit to keep those little connectors from carrying the large load of the headlights. Suzuki VStrom Electrics
Electrical Connection - High Output Headlight Harness, H4, Dual

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the headlight did go out for a minute the other night also.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
When i disconnected my battery, the clock kept on going, so it must have an internal battery someplace. Maybe you need to find/replace that?

·
38,103 Posts
When i disconnected my battery, the clock kept on going, so it must have an internal battery someplace. Maybe you need to find/replace that?
There is only one battery. There may have been a capacitor holding a charge for a bit but that's it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an FJR that did the same thing. Drove me crazy.
Turned out it was the battery getting weaker.
Got a new battery. Problem solved.
In fact it is a good warning system that your battery is starting to go and needs to be replaced before it strands you.
RC

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery is not a year old? Has never been discharged & spent the winter on a charger?
Is a dead battery even possible at this point?
Every rider I know seems to get 4 or 5 years out of a battery & I seem to go through them like hotcakes.

·
38,103 Posts
Have the battery load tested. Check connections. Check the charging system.

·
Registered
392 Posts
replacement battery

Depends much on what replacement battery you got, they most certainly are not all equal. Yes it's not all that uncommon for a replacement battery to be going dead and it's only a year old.

Bill H.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Also check your battery terminals if you haven't already.

..Tom
+1 on V-Tom's quote - I had similar symptoms as you, my battery terminal screws had come a bit loose. Tightened them up problem solved.

Oh,and do you have anything directly connected to the battery that could be draining the battery when the ignition is turned off.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I removed the fairing & used the Di-ELE grease on all connections. Lets see if that works. So far so good.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cleaned & Greased all the connections & the problem is back again,. Im taking the battery to the auto parts store for a load test in the morning. It's only a year old im not thinking that will be the problem. Any other Ideas out their?
Bill

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
spent the winter on a charger......

I have always considered this to be bad for a battery, just my opinion, especially if Winter means unheated garage, or sitting on a concrete floor...

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's probably the goofy cupholder, that I'm sure adorns your bike, that is causing the issue.:green_lol: It's just bad karma for the bike.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Battery did spend the winter on the Deltran tender & the cup holder Rocks especially now. It's hot these days & a 20 OZ water in the cup holder is all good on a 500 mile day

1 - 16 of 16 Posts