StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the stebel horn this past weekend and thought I'd pass along some general info on the install.
I can summarize it in two words. No Problems! :hurray:

I watched the install video on the PWD site and followed the directions in the kit, and it couldn't have been any simpler.

* The horn installs on the left side of the engine, and even with the under cowling, there was no problem with it fitting. The horn is the 'BlackMAX' version, and it looks good too.
* I ran the wires along the left side too. There is not a lot of room to run them, but I did not have a problem at all. I was able to get my fingers up under the frame and grab the ends of the wires as I fed them through.
* This kit came "without" the intake air tube that connects to the horn. What it did come with, was a little round material type of filter that you put over the intake connection on the horn, and then secure that by slipping a hard plastic tube (about 1/2" long) over the soft filter. It's pretty tight. I don't see it slipping off at all, but time will tell.

Tested it...and yeah...it is loud. Everytime I blasted the horn, the dogs next door started barking and howling, and they were upstairs and inside the house. They just don't appreciate a nice loud horn I guess.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along in case any new owners with the under cowling wondered how the fit/install would be using the PWD kit.

I certainly recommend it if you've been thinking about this particular kit.
Also the $10 off code worked too. So it was $99 plus shipping. The code is...honk

·
Registered
255 Posts
wait, the code is actually honk? I thought that was a joke lol

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,339 Posts
I hope to prove your report right or wrong later this week! Got one on the way. I figured the kit with the wiring already figured out and what appears to be an excellent mounting system was worth the money. Wish I had known about the "code", but that's ok.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I installed the PWD mount kit as well, and it is top notch! I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
PWD Stebel Horn install Advice

The video on PWD is good. Personally I think it makes sense to remove the existing horn speaker wires first before you mount the new horn. The reason is the Stebel mounts in front of the existing horn which makes it more diffiicult to remove the connections.

The existing horn is on the front left of the bike by the radiator.

The PWD intructions also have you leave out the 30 amp fuse which is a good idea. They even have you test your wiring before the fuse is inserted by turning the key on (not starting the bike) and pressing the horn button. If you hear the relay click your wiring is good. Now put the fuse in and blast the horn.

Cheers VStrom_Bob :yesnod:

1977 Suzuki TS185
1976 Honda CB 750 F
1983 Honda FT500 Ascot
1993 Honda CBR 1000F
1997 BMW F650 St
1997 Suzuki Marauder
1972 Kawasaki GA-90cc
1982 Honda Hawk
1997 Yamaha XT350
2001 Kawasaki Zr7s
2003 Harley FLHTPI 100th anniversary
2012 DL650A Vstrom

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm glad you found it easy to install. I've been thinking of getting one myself. I didn't know there was installation videos for it. Ill have to check those out.

Sent from my phone...there will be spelling errors!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I got the kit from PWD and it was a super simple install. The trickiest part was routing the wiring harness to follow the existing bike harness. I did it without removing any body panels by doing some pushing and pulling to get it to work.

Awesome horn, way loud, I haven't used it on the road yet, but can't wait for that first cell phone yaking cager that comes my way!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I loved my stebel horn... Until it broke, it was a sad day :( Since then I have installed a low tone horn from a Cadillac, louder than the stebel honestly.

The only problem I see with horns is that I just don't use them. I rarely used my stebel when I had it, I think it's just easier for me to hit the throttle if someone starts veering over in my lane. And rather than just pissing someone off I think it makes them feel like an idiot for not paying attention. This really only happens during the day when my HID lights don't stand out in their mirror. Or maybe it's just because there are more careless drivers out during the day. Oh well... Life goes on.

I do use it when someone doesn't see the light turn green however. Very helpful :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
773 Posts
...I rarely used my stebel when I had it, I think it's just easier for me to hit the throttle if someone starts veering over in my lane. And rather than just pissing someone off I think it makes them feel like an idiot for not paying attention...
Just got the PWD Stebel kit in today... Hope to install it this weekend...

I personally, would *prefer* to piss someone off, if they're veering into me... while texting... phoning.. putting on makeup... reading the paper... playing with their baby on board... Happens waaay too often.

Doesn't make me a bad person... I don't think...

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,339 Posts
I have been disappointed in the loudness of my Stebel horn.

I am thinking about replacing it with a pair of Freeway Blasters.....

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Got a chance to use my Stebel last night. A car tried to move over in to my lane. I had plenty of time so I hit the horn and they whipped the car back in to their lane. I think I scared them. I was in their blind spot though so I was asking for it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a horn I wish I could get onto my bike... but I would need to install a compressor and air tank... 24" stuttertone off of a fire truck :thumbup: :yikes:

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Stebel Horn Install Also With Lower Cowling

I put the Stebel mini on my 2012 DL650 yesterday. I did not buy the PWD kit. I did order a wiring kit for 20 bucks from Amazon that popped up as one of those "people who bought that also bought this". It came with an extra relay and all the terminals.

I just didn't want to spend $120 bucks on a horn. It took me two lazy afternoons and a six pack of beer, but it's on and works fine. I did have to make and paint a bracket and there was more than one trip to the hardware store, but I only have $67 in it.

Lots of posts on how disappointed folks are with the loudness, but I find mine more than loud enough. I also don't mind how it looks. I put it in the extra threaded hole on the engine like some of the other posts did.

RR

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I have PWD Stebel horns on both our bikes, saved our skins a few times. Horn can be heard by cagers on the freeway at 80mph, you know they have loud music going.
Just a heads up, careful when washing the bike, you don't want to shoot water up the air vent on the horn - I killed a horn that way. :headbang:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts