StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a bunch of posts related to the Tool Tube made out of PVC. The store-bought one that most folks bought was a little too small for what I want to use it for so I made my own from plumbing parts I found at Lowes. All said, I think I paid $50... but this thing is solidly made and won't budge from the frame. Here is my material list:

13" 4 in. dia. PVC pipe (the heavier pipe)
2 PVC adapter sleeves
2 PVC screw-in end caps
2 rubber pipe sleeves (for clamps)
4 SS clamps (6" dia)
Black Reflective Tape
Red Reflective Tape
Gorilla Tape to protect Givi Luggage Frame
PVC Primer and Glue

I didn't have to paint it, because the black sleeves and black reflective tape makes this look good without it. The SS clamps hold this to the frame TIGHT! The screw-in end clamps allow access to both ends...for filling and emptying. Total build time about 15 minutes. Total install time 5 minutes. Easy on and eay off if I need to take it off. Won't rust, won't harm the luggage frame. Won't budge. Total weight about 4-5 lbs. It's STRONG! It's watertight.

Whatya think? Rob

https://picasaweb.google.com/113815612903691627931/VStromPVCTube#

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, the reason I opted for the SS clamps insted of bolts (for attachment) is because I didn't want any nuts/bolt heads on the inside of the tube which could either crack the tube (in time) or interfere (or scratch) items I put in the tube.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks..that's what I like about it too...the toughness. Those 3 SS clamps hold it on the bike (luggage frame) real good. The 4th SS clamp is just for looks. Oh, when completed, the total length is 17 inches..gained 2 inches on each end with the adapters. End caps are flush too. Now, onto installing the Dinali D2s..which look real sweet so far. Didn't even have to buy a mount kit for em. Just shaved a little off the head of the existing fender bolts so they fit flush with the brackets that came with the kit. I'll post photos when completed.

Dang, you can farkle these bikes to death..huh? Now I got to plan a trip to use it all..ha.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What to put inside?

Dang..lost my last reply. Here's my short list (again) to put inside:

SS Coffee Thermas
Few Brewski's on ice..ha
Gatorade, Water, etc. on ice
Tools
Oils/Lubes/etc. in 3" dia bottles
First Aid Kit
Etc.
(granted not together)

What else? Who knows. Pretty much stuff (liquids) I don't mind leaking. I put a coffee thermas in my side case one time and it leaked all over my clothes, documents, etc. I use my bike at cycling races since I moto ref and usually take coffee with me. Can't function without my a.m. coffee and usually have to take it with me cause there is usually not a DD around the road races (out in farm country). Inconspicuous place to throw some brewski's on ice too.

If I don't use it as planned, I'll just take it off (easy-off) and use it for something else. i.e. missile launcher, etc. ha Hey, that's not a bad idea. Next time somebody tailgates me..I'll open the hatch and fire on em..bwah.

· Registered
307 Posts
Very nice. Similar to a tube I'd built for my KLR a while back, except I used rubber end caps for it and mounted it to the skid plate. You can fit a TON of stuff in there. I had front and rear innertubes, plus a tool roll with a full set of wrenches, tire levers, etc. That tube took a ton of abuse on the KLR, and was tough as nails. You can't beat 4" ABS sewer pipe for tool tubes. :thumbup:

· Registered
105 Posts
Whatya think?
Awesome farkle. I've actually just done the same on my '05 Wee with the help of my girlfriend. In my case I didn't find flush end caps, so the lid sticks out a little but is manageable. That said, I wish I'd thought of making both ends open, in the event of any fluids needing to be drained. (Love the idea of putting a few drinks in on ice, hehe) Wish I'd seen those rubber sleeves, too; the straps have chafed away a bit at the outside of the tube.

Question for you: I had some trouble positioning the pipe on my Givi side mount. I'm worried about putting too much tension on the straps and damaging the mount somehow, but even with that in mind, I've tightened them as much as I can and the tube ends up resting against my undertail area. I'd rather it not be touching the body of the bike, but it seems no matter how I position it, that's going to happen. Did you do anything specifically to avoid this situation?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.