StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a longtime rider, new 2005 Vstrom 650 DL owner. I have seen a few Vstroms in the past with a PVC pipe storage setup on the left side, mounted to the Pannier brackets. I am thinking about doing this on my Vstrom, is this a common mod? Is there a common name for this mod? Does anyone have a plan or list for making this? Thanks for any info you can share.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
They're usually referred to as "tool tubes". If you search that term on here, you'll find a ton of threads on them and how they're built. It's pretty common among ADV motorcycle riders; I've had one on both my V-Strom and my Super Tenere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, if I don't make my own, I will go with those. 4 bucks for the ones with no printing is amazingly cheap.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I dug through my old photo albums on here, and I'm attaching links to them so you can see the way I made the various incarnations of tool tubes I've used over the years.

This is the first one I made, using 4" ABS plastic pipe from Lowes. I prefer ABS because it doesn't shatter into sharp shards if it gets smashed. More photos are here: https://www.stromtrooper.com/members/41909-rcinnc-albums-tool-tube.html

This is a second version I made. This one actually went on my Super Tenere. Also made from 4" ABS pipe from the hardware store. I made this one so the door cold lock, using a modified desk drawer lock. More photos here: https://www.stromtrooper.com/members/41909-rcinnc-albums-locking-tool-tube-happy-trail-su-rack.html

And this is the final one I made, which is currently on my Super Tenere. It's made from ABS sheet plastic with aluminum angle reinforcements at the edges.

More photos are here: https://www.stromtrooper.com/members/41909-rcinnc-albums-square-tool-tube.html

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
There are some great write ups about tool tubes. Using some plumbing pipes can cost a bit and using drain pipe can cost less, much less for the same size pipe.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Sq vs Round..........

RC does beautiful work...…..always a pleasure looking at what he builds next!! I use the 4" diameter PVC Tube x 18" L on my Wee. I tried to build a new Tool Holder using a 5"x5" square aluminum tube from McMaster-Carr. I had it all worked out except for one area that clashed with my Happy Trails Pannier Racks...….a single square bracket, but was enough for me to scrap the idea...….and gave the materials away. :furious:

BTW...…….a 5"x5" square tube has DOUBLE the volume of cubic inches over a 4" round tube. :fineprint:
Just food for thought if building something...…..

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
I've got an early Shad bag mount on my salvage Wee. It has copious area on the left side. A big square design might be neat....maybe purposed as an Aux fuel tank?
I can always put lead weights on the right to offset the weight.>:)

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
don't you have a weighty exhaust anyway?

I used the space for fuel.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have never gotten around to doing it but I have long thought that a ABS mailbox and a heat gun would be a great start.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,150 Posts
While making them out of PVC tubing works great, depending on what you want to carry in it the Welding tube holder are easy to mount and use. One advantage these have is a sealed screw on lid. Very little fabrication and these are ready to go. Just another thing to add that might work for you.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
"don't you have a weighty exhaust anyway?"

I figure the exhaust is balanced out as the bike is sold unadorned. Suzuki can't imagine what the buyers will do to their bikes.
It would be easy enough to compensate after adding a mod.
I hadn't thought of putting gas can like yours there. I've see the rear peg platform for the gas cans.
No place on my G650GS so I hung a tool tube from the bottom of left saddle bag.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Another good choice for tool tube material is four inch vinyl fenceposts. They were my initial choice for the square tool tube, but their stock sizes wouldn't fit in the space between the pannier rack and the bike. They're fairly cheap, and it's always easier to fabricate mounts and other hardware for a square tube opposed to a round one.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Another good choice for tool tube material is four inch vinyl fenceposts. They were my initial choice for the square tool tube, but their stock sizes wouldn't fit in the space between the pannier rack and the bike. They're fairly cheap, and it's always easier to fabricate mounts and other hardware for a square tube opposed to a round one.
One word: Heat Gun. Okay so that's more that one ...
I have installed some gadget boxes against protrusions etc. Medium heat with some patients and they become willing.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
That's how the lock on one of my tool tubes worked. It was just a desk drawer lock that I modified. The locking arm rotated into a slot I cut into the inside of the ABS tube. It wasn't the most secure lock in the world; I did it more as an experiment than any real effort at security.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Agri supply manual holders are great. You do need to fill in one small vent hole in them to keep them waterproof. Either a dab of epoxy or a small screw will do the trick. Also the yellow markings on it are easily removed with a spritz of carb cleaner and a paper towel.

I have also used weld rod holders but you have to make or source brackets for them whereas the Argi supply manual holders already have feet cast into them.

The DIY PVC tool tubes are not my thing they always look big and clunky but to each his own.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts