StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reasons that people give as to why they ride a motorcycle are as varied as the number of roads there are to ride them on. There are no simple answers to that question and in fact for each motorcyclist it can be a very personal and profoundly deep reason that only resonates within their souls. For those that don't ride I'm sure other passions fuel their souls as strongly but for my passion ... it thrives on "Riding". For me the passion to ride runs deep and has been there since I first rolled on two wheels years and years ago. I ride ... therefore I am (Apologies to Rene Descartes).

I was told by friends and read in books that when I retired I would have to reinvent myself. I guess that is for those that define there existence through what they do for a living all those years. That was never me. Instead riding a motorcycle reinvents me every time I let it stroke my ego while cruising down the open road twisting the throttle. I was literally born to ride. How else can I explain the child like wonderment that each twisted turn feeds my twisted addicted mind as I traverse life's journey on two wheels.

Many ride alone and others ride with others but for me I feel the essence of motorcycle riding comes from the absolute pleasure of the solitude it can provide. Don't get me wrong ... I love people and love meeting them and being around them but I think some times I like people the most when they aren't around. Riding a motorcycle not only inherently provides that solitude but can also transport you to places of greater solitude and beauty in a way that makes you feel like your blood is boiling in your veins. Never am I not wide eyed as I sit upon my steel steed challenging life at every turn keenly aware of death's call if not for a quick mind focused on the task at hand ... staying alive.

Maybe it's the adrenaline rush or just the sheer excitement of riding is what continues to bring us back time and time again like a junkie. I have often said I never feel more alive in this world than when I'm riding my motorcycle and that feeling alone continues to bring me back for more and yet more. My life is in motion while rolling along through it. In my opinion, aside from time spent with God, Family, Friends and helping others there is no better way to mark the passage of time in this world than to ride through it and when that time comes to an end we can only hope that whatever is next … involves two wheels

As someone once said "The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time". Those of us that ride motorcycles are way ahead of you.

Donnie

·
Registered
269 Posts
I sum it up in two sentences. "Because I can. One of these days I won't be able to, and that will be a sad day."

·
Registered
722 Posts
I was pondering this just yesterday, a couple of times. Swung through my coffee shop drive-through on the way in. Looked at the car in front of me, and wondered if that person ever experienced a commute like I do when I ride. Even stopped at the drive through, I was a thousand times more connected to my surroundings and the environment than that guy ahead of me. The wind, and smells, the pavement everything else. All things that person sealed themselves away from.

And going home, down this road here........

willows road - Google Maps

and thinking how free it was, and how much more of an experience it is. To truly enjoy that road in my car, it would require speeds far exceeding the 40mph limit, and be unsafe to boot. But on the bike, I can keep it to 8-9mph over and still have a blast.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I ride for many of the same reasons.

In a car you pass through space framed by the windows. Isolated from the temperature, the smells, the risk. On a bike you are part of the space, part of the whole.

roughly excerpted from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenace"

A wonderful read so far, I am 1/4 the way through it. Very good book, even without pictures.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Riding is as close as I can get to powder skiing without the powder snow. Both are as close as I can get to flying like a bird. (No, I'm not going sky diving nor bungee jumping nor kiteboarding nor....)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Riding is as close as I can get to powder skiing without the powder snow. Both are as close as I can get to flying like a bird. (No, I'm not going sky diving nor bungee jumping nor kiteboarding nor....)
A broke rubber brought me into this world, it's not gonna take me out of it!!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
yep

I ride for the same reasons I shot guns and use tobacco. Because I like to and choose to and, so far, am free to do so. No explanation or rationalization do I feel necessary to give anyone. I like what I like and do what I like. Now leave me alone or I'll shoot ya and shove a cigar up yer ass!:green_lol:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Riding is as close as I can get to powder skiing without the powder snow. ......)
When I'm riding I'm not thinking about anything else....
These 2 sum it up for me - skiing and riding keep all non-essential or stressful thoughts out of the brain. That's why I don't like freeways or long straight roads - I start thinking about other stuff.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok...the rubber band cracked me up! Outstanding comment!

Also in agreement with JStrom....not much better than riding and a bit of chew in!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The reasons that people give as to why they ride a motorcycle are as varied as the number of roads there are to ride them on. There are no simple answers to that question and in fact for each motorcyclist it can be a very personal and profoundly deep reason that only resonates within their souls. For those that don't ride I'm sure other passions fuel their souls as strongly but for my passion ... it thrives on "Riding". For me the passion to ride runs deep and has been there since I first rolled on two wheels years and years ago. I ride ... therefore I am (Apologies to Rene Descartes).

I was told by friends and read in books that when I retired I would have to reinvent myself. I guess that is for those that define there existence through what they do for a living all those years. That was never me. Instead riding a motorcycle reinvents me every time I let it stroke my ego while cruising down the open road twisting the throttle. I was literally born to ride. How else can I explain the child like wonderment that each twisted turn feeds my twisted addicted mind as I traverse life's journey on two wheels.

Many ride alone and others ride with others but for me I feel the essence of motorcycle riding comes from the absolute pleasure of the solitude it can provide. Don't get me wrong ... I love people and love meeting them and being around them but I think some times I like people the most when they aren't around. Riding a motorcycle not only inherently provides that solitude but can also transport you to places of greater solitude and beauty in a way that makes you feel like your blood is boiling in your veins. Never am I not wide eyed as I sit upon my steel steed challenging life at every turn keenly aware of death's call if not for a quick mind focused on the task at hand ... staying alive.

Maybe it's the adrenaline rush or just the sheer excitement of riding is what continues to bring us back time and time again like a junkie. I have often said I never feel more alive in this world than when I'm riding my motorcycle and that feeling alone continues to bring me back for more and yet more. My life is in motion while rolling along through it. In my opinion, aside from time spent with God, Family, Friends and helping others there is no better way to mark the passage of time in this world than to ride through it and when that time comes to an end we can only hope that whatever is next … involves two wheels

As someone once said "The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time". Those of us that ride motorcycles are way ahead of you.

Donnie
beautiful, thank you for writing what I feel!

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Riding is as close as I can get to powder skiing without the powder snow. Both are as close as I can get to flying like a bird.
Having just got back from a great snowboard trip, I'd have to agree with you! Both supply that floaty-glidey-gravity feeling you just can't get from anything else......the French even have a word for it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why I Ride

I ride for the moment. Whether it is leaning into a turn, being buffeted by the wind or in general handling whatever the road throws at me.

When I'm on the Wee, I'm not thinking of anything else (or soon I will be on the ground). The minutiae which crowds most of my day just disappears.

Best mental relaxation in the world. Taking a day off of work to just ride the motorcycle is better than a vacation. :thumbup:

That's why I ride.

Thanks

Matrix

·
Registered
707 Posts
the essence of freedom

Ok, I know that I have a tendency to overthink everything, so this is going to sound like a lot of crap. That's ok, because, most of the time, I'm full of it, anyway...

I feel a sense of freedom when I ride, that can be compared to many things: snow skiing, flying, driving, (add your freedome experience here), etc.

I think that riding is an existential experience that transports each one of us to a place of ultimate freedom. It's a type of expression, almost an art form, that lifts us up, to a different place, emotionally, as well as physically.

More specifically, when we ride, we are each self-sufficient to such a degree that we feel free. Forget that we are regulated by traffic laws, the amount of horsepower your bike can produce, and the amount of fuel in your tank. Think for a minute, about that first time that you drove, alone, after getting your drivers license: that wonder and freedom of being your own master, going where you wanted to go, when you wanted to go, without need to ask for permission or consult anyone else. YOU were the pilot of your own destiny. (Not really, but, hey, we were kids, and thought we had the world by the tail.)

I get that feeling of freedom and mastery of my own destiny each time I ride, even when I'm riding to work and I have to be there by a certain time. If only for a moment, while executing the perfect turn, or twisting the throttle, my mind is transported back to that first driving experience, and I think...Yah, I''m the man, I am master of my destiny.

Besides, it's a fun way to travel...(where's my keys...) :beatnik:

·
Premium Member
4,182 Posts
Let me take a shot at this too. It can be fun to put feelings into words.

A motorcycle is taboo in a lot of peoples eyes. Dangerous. Only fools ride motorcycles. Don't they know the danger they put themselves into. Several of my (friends/relatives, friends of friends, read about them, know several people that, have seen the crosses and the memorials, read about them) etc etc.

My neighbor came up to me last year to tell me he had just returned from a funeral for a biker from his church. My thoughts turned to those bikers that don't ride safe. They blast through yellow lights, they don't practice lane control or emergency braking. Speeding is normal for a lot of bikers.

I'm not that guy, i play the odds, and try to keep them in my favor. When i ride, i'm in tune with my surroundings. I don't drink and drive. I never take drugs. I maintain my bike to keep it running correctly, safely. ATGATT always. I buy reflective items to put on my bike. I buy quality armor. I ride like everyone is out to kill me. I do speed when i need to, to increase my odds of safety, like when passing a truck, or when there is an aggressive guy in the right lane. I get around those guys fast. Make sure they see me, get up to their bumper, then gun it past them. I let the real crazy guys pass me.

I don't take a bike to a car fight.

When i get on my bike, and sink into the seat, i kick the sidestand up. I think about where i'm going. How i am going to get there. I think about the danger areas, and what to watch for. Check all my pockets to make sure they are zipped up. Wallet there. All my gear on. Helmet locked down, chin strap on.

Turn the key, right foot on rear brake, hit the starter, and it comes to life. I get that grin on my face. A challenge awaits.

Am I fleeting death? Perhaps.. but people die in car crashes everyday too. Some get run over crossing the street. A relative of mine fell under the wheels of a truck when he was drunk, tripped on the sidewalk walking. The threat of death makes me ride differently. I know how vulnerable i am out there. Riding in the wind, in the rain, surrounded by strangers jockeying for position on our roads. Some like bikers, some hate them. A lot of people are very jealous. A lot of people feel they need to challenge the power of a motorcycle with their cars. They spent a lot of money on their car, and this biker comes along and can win every race. It must be very frustrating for them.

Kick the bike into gear, and ease the clutch out and it starts to roll. Feel the balance. Stand on the pegs to set the seating positiion. Balance gained by weighting the pegs, by changing grip on the bars. Sink down into the sheepskin. Start the sweep as you roll out of the driveway. Searching for the safe path. Watching for danger. Making myself visible. The engine purrs. Waiting for its chance to rev.

Lane control. Watching what other cars are doing. Anticipating where you need to be, and where others want to be. Always having that "out".

A biker has all the advantages. The lanes are huge and wide. We sit up higher to see farther. More in tune with our surroundings. In an emergency we can fit into small pockets and holes, but we have to keep those options available. Our brakes are fast and sharp. Our bikes weigh far less than a car. Generally we can stop faster.

Riding is a lot like flying. Legs and head in the wind, and more if you take the windshield off. You have to climb mountains to go up or down, but soaring is easy. Corners feel like gliding. Bank left, Bank right. If your balanced on the bike, plan your entry and exit from the corners, there is no force except straight down the entire time. The world turns, the angles turn, the road turns, but your still going straight. Countersteering takes cars of corners easily. There is no stress aside from watching for oil/gravel, dips in the road, decreasing radius corners, and other drivers crossing the center line in the other direction.

Riding is a whole body experience.

Ride safe everyone. Happy flying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts