StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran them at 38/36 on the gravel and I found them amazingly sure footed. I was riding alot faster with them than the stockers. 40/38 on the blacktop. As others have noted, they are eager to lean into turns. I think the aggressive tread has more friction than the stockers and it slows the front wheel causing it to lay over. Pretty much used to it after a couple rides. Have yet to corner them hard but I did cruise up to about 105 indicated and the were smooth at speed. You can feel the blocks rumble a bit below 30 or so.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
The blocks rumble and sing!
Talented tires, if you ask me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm heading out West in a bit so I will see how I like them on road. Probably put 4,000 miles or so. If I didn't enjoy the scenery and solitude of the forest gravel roads I would have stuck with the Trail Wings.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Wait until you try the 805/804 combo. Same rubber compound with amazing blacktop performance, and way better off road. Plus they look great.
My 804 rubbed the fender on my Glee in dirt so now I have my TKC70 on. But the Shinko's are good tires for the money! Have fun and be safe!

Outbackwack

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
Your math is interesting. A bit off but interesting. I run 705's and find them quite adequate.
Oh, it's air pressure not road/dirt values. I just fall down so I don't worry about AP.:wink2:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have about 2K miles on the 705's so far. No abnormal wear noted, just a hint of squaring off on the rear. They are much more compliant on bumps than the stockers. 40 psi rear and 38 front seems good for pavement and gravel.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I think my last three or four tire changes have been 705's. However, when this current one wears out, I may just try an 805 on the rear, and see how they ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just put 705's on my DL650A and like the tread pattern for non-pavement and they seem to corner nicely and confidently. For the price, I am way happy!

Rmpl

·
Registered
26 Posts
UPDATE: After a few hundred miles on the Shinko 705 tires, front and rear, I ~~personally~~ do not like them. The front tire is very loud and the tires make the bike fall into curves almost too easy, as I find myself countersteering OUT of the curve to keep the bike on a nice line. It just wants to drop into a curve so easily. For the 5% dirt and rocky roads I ride, with 95% road use, the drawbacks to the 705's are not worth the decent off-road tread pattern they have.

Will sell them locally and have some Metzeler RoadTech 01's arriving this week and will ride these instead.

Rmpl

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Shinko 705's and zero regrets 6k miles later. The front singing is now a whisper.
My checkbook likes them too.

Reactions: Cal
1 - 13 of 13 Posts