StromTrooper banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I did it too at the beginning of December but since that there was few pretty nice days here and there I pulled her out already 5 or 6 times adding another 7-800 hundreds kilometers.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I did it too at the beginning of December but since that there was few pretty nice days here and there I pulled her out already 5 or 6 times adding another 7-800 hundreds kilometers.
I've done that before. I usually like to wait until a major snowfall and the roads get heavily salted, that way I'm not tempted to ride. This hasn't happened yet this year, but the temps are forecasted to be in the 30's F this week so I decided to put her to bed. There was only one winter, that with the exception of 3 cold weeks in January, I was able to ride all winter.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I've done that before. I usually like to wait until a major snowfall and the roads get heavily salted, that way I'm not tempted to ride. This hasn't happened yet this year, but the temps are forecasted to be in the 30's F this week so I decided to put her to bed. There was only one winter, that with the exception of 3 cold weeks in January, I was able to ride all winter.
I was almost ready to park it for good and all of the sudden they are calling for 10c (50F) this coming Friday👍

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Woke her up from a long winter's nap! Cleaned her up a bit. Scrubbed and re-waxed the chain and rear sprocket. Checked tire pressures - on the money! Re-installed the dash cam cpu. Put the seat back on. Dressed her. Fired her up and brought her to operating temp. All went very well. Now just gotta wait for a cleansing rain or two to wash the residual salt off the roadways and we'll be off and running! WooHooooo!
Ride safe ( and soon! ) all.
gary

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Oh yeah! Back in the saddle here. Still keeping to the lower elevations, though. I suspect it's still winter up in the Berkshires!
Ride safe ( and soon ) all.
Gary

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh yeah! Back in the saddle here. Still keeping to the lower elevations, though. I suspect it's still winter up in the Berkshires!
Ride safe ( and soon ) all.
Gary
Yeah i was just in the mountains in vermont last weekend. Had a foot of snow sat morning, then came home to mass sunday and it was 60 and sunny

Its time i stop babying my first new bike and ride in the salt. My last bike i didnt care. My FIL says his last Harley got killed by the salt, something about the chrome. I suspect the strom is a little more rugged, but i dont know.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yeah i was just in the mountains in vermont last weekend. Had a foot of snow sat morning, then came home to mass sunday and it was 60 and sunny

Its time i stop babying my first new bike and ride in the salt. My last bike i didnt care. My FIL says his last Harley got killed by the salt, something about the chrome. I suspect the strom is a little more rugged, but i dont know.
I do wait till the salt is pretty much washed off the roadways. Not concerned so much about the appearance of the bike, but moreso concerned about all those little electrical connections in the interior that salt dust can find it's way into. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my gut feeling. Roadways are pretty much clean here in the lower elevations.
Yippeeeeeeee!
Ride safe all.
gary

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The salt up here is brutal. I lost my headlights a couple years ago from a corroded wiring harness. I usually wait until after the first good rain before taking her out! I think we may have seen our last snow...so hopefully that rain is next! We still have plenty of snow north of Lewiston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry but a different and confused interpretation of the term putting her to sleep. In Australia you put your pet dog, cat, horse or other pet to sleep (euthanize) when it is too old and sick to go on living, I was very curious how you did that to a motorcycle! I realize now you meant to put your bike into hibernation not terminate it. We don't have to do that here, we just don't ride quite as often during the peaks of summer or winter.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
I was out in February when we had a nice dry day.

My regiment is similar to the OP, except nothing comes off, and she stays ready and by the garage door for any sunny day.

I wired in a SAE plug for the Tender into my EB 3 circuit harness. Easy to plug in when the bike is going to sit for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I was out in February when we had a nice dry day.

My regiment is similar to the OP, except nothing comes off, and she stays ready and by the garage door for any sunny day.

I wired in a SAE plug for the Tender into my EB 3 circuit harness. Easy to plug in when the bike is going to sit for a couple of weeks.
I take off the luggage so the bike will fit in the garage with two cars. I decided to take the seat off this past winter at the suggestion of somebody on this forum that the area under the seat is very inviting to mice to set up a household. And as we all know, mice can wreak havoc with wiring. I also put down dryer sheets throughout the bike - repels mice; and set traps - went unsprung throughout the winter.
Ride safe all.
gary

·
Registered
470 Posts
We say that here, too, for euthanasia. "Hibernation" might be a more suitable metaphor.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
"Put her to sleep" could also suggest deep sedation or general anesthesia. In this particular case it meant, taking off luggage and seat, filling the gas tank with good gas and stabilizer, oil change, tires put to oem pressures, place dryer sheets, set mouse traps. BUT!!! She's awake now, Baby. And we're RIDING! WoooHooooooo
Ride safe ( and soon! ) all.
gary

41 - 59 of 59 Posts